Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13846Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd February 2021, 12:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I don't know why but I completely forgot to watch season 2 of Star Trek Discovery, so since Cobra Kai has left a void in my viewing I watched a recap of the slightly confusing first season and started with season 2 on Monday and I've already watched 5 eps.

It feels more like a Star Trek series this time around, an overarching story arc but with a 'problem of the week' style that we're used to! I'm really enjoying it now that everything with the Klingons has settled down. Who by the way have started growing their hair again now that they are in a truce with the Federation, whether this was always planned or they buckled to the fandom who were quite vocal in their distaste of the new aesthetic is up for debate. Personally, I quite liked it!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 3rd February 2021, 12:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I don't know why but I completely forgot to watch season 2 of Star Trek Discovery, so since Cobra Kai has left a void in my viewing I watched a recap of the slightly confusing first season and started with season 2 on Monday and I've already watched 5 eps.

It feels more like a Star Trek series this time around, an overarching story arc but with a 'problem of the week' style that we're used to! I'm really enjoying it now that everything with the Klingons has settled down. Who by the way have started growing their hair again now that they are in a truce with the Federation, whether this was always planned or they buckled to the fandom who were quite vocal in their distaste of the new aesthetic is up for debate. Personally, I quite liked it!

im looking forward to the spin off new worlds with Pike and Spock, have you started season 3, which is hundreds of years in the future so now it really can be its own show and start anew. be interesting to see where season 4 will go, as i might of mentioned david cronenberg plays a recurring character.

its no huge spoiler but we find out the timeline has been reset so the kelvin timeline (new movies) never happened
Justin101 likes this.
Old 3rd February 2021, 12:59 PM
Cult Veteran

Only 5 of the 15 eps so far in season 2 but at this rate I'll be watching season 3 by the weekend

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 4th February 2021, 09:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Been re-watching this is England 86, last time I saw this was when it was first shown on tv about 10yrs ago.
Old 11th February 2021, 07:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Rewatching Hannibal , forgotten just how brilliant it is, this might be a unpopular opinion , as good as Cox and Hopkins performances where , Mad's is on another level he is Hannibal. Chilling and likable at the same time.

Also finished first season of all creatures great and small, has to be the complete opposite of Hannibal, such a charming show from a more innocent time.

Last edited by trebor8273; 11th February 2021 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12th February 2021, 10:12 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Rewatching Hannibal , forgotten just how brilliant it is, this might be a unpopular opinion , as good as Cox and Hopkins performances where , Mad's is on another level he is Hannibal. Chilling and likable at the same time.

Also finished first season of all creatures great and small, has to be the complete opposite of Hannibal, such a charming show from a more innocent time.
Gave up on Hannibal after a few episodes. Just couldn't get into it at all. Personally find Mads to be a bit of a charisma vacuum. Although i didn't find a likeable character in the whole thing. Best thing I've seen Mads Mikelson in was a somewhat shonky low budget western called The Salvation. He wasn't bad in Doctor Strange either.
iank likes this.

Last edited by J Harker; 13th February 2021 at 11:25 AM.
Old 13th February 2021, 06:51 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Can't Get You Out Of My Head

This being the new Adam Curtis series. His usual blend of archive footage and the creeping realisation that nothing is new under the sun. Just away to watch the 3rd and already he's covered varying historical precedents etc. It is rather strange that even though I'm horribly certain where this is all going, his soothing tones are a counterbalance to the shrill drivel we've all had to listen to in the last year or so ....
Recommended.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th February 2021, 05:11 PM
Cult Acolyte

Rewatched

hercules-the-legendary-journeys.jpg

HERCULES THE LEGENDARY JOURNEYS Season 1

In this first season, Hercules meets Xena, The Warrior Princess, who uses Iolaus to in her bid to destroy Hercules.
Xena would appear in three episodes this season where with Hercules help, Xena chooses a different path..

51Rbrx88lXL._AC_SX466_.jpg xena.jpg
Old 19th February 2021, 03:28 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

This is what TV I've been watching so far this year:

Staged: Season Two – as it takes the concept of 'lockdown TV' made entirely via Zoom and is a show about a TV series be remade in America, it isn't as charming or funny as the first series, feeling more like a show which is a reflection of itself and very much a piece of meta filmmaking. Michael Sheen and David Tennant are a brilliant double act and this season has an all-star cast of actors in consideration for the main roles for the American version.

Breaking Bad commentaries – since watching this (again), I've had the box set near my Blu-ray player intending to watch it with the commentaries. I did this quite quickly and enjoyed the variety of contributors and what they spoke about during the commentaries. Vince Gilligan and Bryan Cranston are mainstays, appearing in most of them, though there is a large number of contributors throughout the five seasons from actors including Aaron Paul, Anna Gunn, RJ Mitte, Bob Odenkirk, Giancarlo Esposito, and writers, editors, directors, and producers such as Moira Walley-Beckett, Melissa Bernstein, Skip MacDonald, Michelle McLaren, David Slade, Rian Johnson, Gennifer Hutchison, Kelley Dixon, and Peter Gould.

Disenchantment: Season Three – halfway through the first episode, I began to regret watching this without re-watching the first two seasons because there wasn't much of a 'catch up' and it picked up immediately where season two finished. I decided to stick with it and remembered most things so I was able to enjoy the character relationships, the quality voice acting, imaginative world building, and inventive animation. At some point in the next month or so I want to go back to the beginning and watch all three seasons in order from the first episode of the first season.

Bridgerton – this was a bit of a slow burner because the first couple of episodes didn't 'wow' me and make me consider it compelling viewing. If I didn't hate having half watched TV series so much, I probably would have left it and moved on to something else. I'm glad I stuck with it because my enjoyment increased as the series went on and, when it finished, I was both eagerly anticipating a second season and considering re-watching this first one.

Space Force – although this comedy about a new fictional branch of the US Armed Forces and the US embarking on another 'space race' could barely be less similar to Bridgerton, it had (if you pardon the pun) a similar trajectory: the first couple of episodes didn't put this in 'binge watch' territory, just something easy to watch when winding down at night. After a while, I was emotionally invested in the relationship between Steve Carrell's Mark Naird, a newly promoted four-star general tasked by the president with putting 'boots on the moon' by 2024. This is ostensibly a workplace comedy, a little like The Office in a military location. You have the various relationships between employees, principally between Mark and Dr Adrian Mallory (John Malkovich), the chief scientist, and then Mark's relationship with his teenage daughter, Erin (Diana Silvers) and wife, Maggie (Lisa Kudrow), who is a in prison for reasons unknown. I enjoyed this more than I expected and will watch the second season whenever it appears on Netflix.

The Trump Show – a four-part miniseries broadcast on BBC, this charts the Donald Trump presidency from its launch and the 2016 presidential election to the mob storming Capitol Hill and Joe Biden's election win. The range of interview subjects, including Steve Bannon, John Bolton, Michael Wolff, Sean Spicer, Anthony Scaramucci, Rudy Giuliani, Stormy Daniels, and Jon Sopel, is impressive and leads to a wide range of views from inside the White House during one of the most remarkable and unusual presidencies in the United States' 244 year history. It's available on iPlayer here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...the-trump-show

The Alienist – a Netflix show I stumbled on because it was trailed after Bridgerton so I added it to my list and quickly watched both seasons. The second season, Angel of Darkness, is easily my favourite as the first is a bit too slow and mysterious and the second is a darker thriller. The main difference between the two is the killer's identity is unknown in the first season whereas the second season includes the murderer as one of the main characters. Daniel Brühl, a German-Spanish actor, is perhaps an unusual choice to play the British alienist (a little like a 19th century Cracker), but his accent is perfect and his relationship with Dakota Fanning's young detective makes him even more interesting. I was impressed by the way it integrated fiction and fact, including real people, most prominently Theodore Roosevelt in season one and William Randolph Hearst in The Alienist: Angel of Darkness. Luke Evans, Brian Geraghty, Douglas Smith, Matthew Shear, Matt Letscher, and Rosy McEwan impressive. Dakota Fanning is probably the pick of the actors and the second season is much better for featuring her character, Sara, much more than the first.

Taskmaster – since my brother practically made me watch the first episode on Christmas Day last year, I have been meaning to watch this and I only began to resume the first season earlier this month. I'm halfway through the fourth series and loving each episode, each challenge, and all the banter between the contestants, Greg Davies, and Alex Horne. It's so good to have it on All 4 (https://www.channel4.com/programmes/taskmaster) with only a few adverts during each episode, and I generally watch three or four episodes every evening. I don't think it'll be too long before I have watched all of them and be up-to-date and ready for the 11th series.
Old 19th February 2021, 03:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Some interesting viewing there, Nos.

I'm currently three quarters through season four of Breaking Bad. I am enjoying it although i wouldn't consider it one of my favourite tv shows.

I did think about watching The Trump Show but thought it would be too heavily biased against him because that's what the BBC seemed to be like throughout his term.

I did find it amusing that despite him being the most aggressive and confrontational president in living memory he's the only one that didn't go to war.

Anyway

Like this? Share it using the links below!