Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television

Like Tree13822Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st August 2021, 09:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Maybe just the titles and what you think this time B??

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st August 2021, 09:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Love Thy Neighbour: Season 5

The Mediterranean
The men decide they want to go to Majorca only for their wives and Jacko's mum to tag along, things seem to be going ok until Eddie is arrested.

Bananas
Eddie takes in a crate of bananas for Bill only to take them home and gets a shock when a spider crawls out, it's a wind up spider but everyone is in on the joke that it has bit Eddie and only has days to live.

Eddie's Birthday
It's Eddie's birthday and the men get him saucy cards much to Joan's dismay, Bill decides to get him another card signed from Harold Wilson which gets Eddie arrested.

Teething Problems
Bill has bought Barbie a ticket to Trinidad, only for Eddie to loose the envelope and has to search the rubbish dump. While Barbie is away Bill decides to live the bachelor wife until Joan puts a stop to it and tells Bill he will live with Eddie and Joan.

Cat's Away
Eddie feels jealous when Bill does more round the house than what he does and goes to the hairdresser only to flirt with the new assistant who has flirted with Arthur and Jacko.

Ghosts
Nobby thinks the bar is haunted and to prove a point it isn't Eddie will stay the night. Bill tries to play a prank which backfires and he is arrested.

This was comical, the insults keep coming more and more but how many times has Eddie been arrested now, Bill dressing up as Blacula and scaring Barbie was a hoot, Bill has one of those evil laughs that when he laughs you can't help but do the same. There is mentioning of the new babies but we never see them even though Joan and Barbie compare them to Bill and Eddie's personalities.

51B3b1-u7bL._AC_.jpg
Old 21st August 2021, 09:56 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
I was trying not to be racist Nos and it looks like I failed at that

Don't you just love how it's white people who get offended the most. They won't admit it though.

Most black people would watch a show like this now and laugh at the ridiculousness of it, but not white people. They see it as their duty to be disgusted and outraged for people, even if those people aren't.

You ever see white people outraged at Love Thy Neighbour when someone is called whitey or honkey?
Old 21st August 2021, 10:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Don't you just love how it's white people who get offended the most. They won't admit it though.

Most black people would watch a show like this now and laugh at the ridiculousness of it, but not white people. They see it as their duty to be disgusted and outraged for people, even if those people aren't.

You ever see white people outraged at Love Thy Neighbour when someone is called whitey or honkey?
Or Snowflake Your right Stephen, most white people do get offended, some can dish it out and really can't take it, being a child of the 80s I was never introduced to a lot of tv with prejudice unless it was Alf Garnett
Old 22nd August 2021, 09:20 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Love Thy Neighbour: Season 3

I never thought they would do this but passing a big golliwog to a black person was a touch of [in]sensitivity but Barbie does try to make jokes abut the colors.
Quote:
I wasn't expecting the " chocolate drop" to be used, I know golliwogs were a big thing back in the day but would you actually give one to a colored family and hope for the best you don't get punched i thought doing that was a it below the belt
Black 'Barbie' dolls have been around for well over 50 years

Learn The History of Black Barbie Dolls / Black History Month

"...In 1968, the first black doll, 'Christie' made her appearance. Though there was 'Francie' who was released the year before as the first dark completion in the Mattel line, Christie was the first Barbie with 'black' features.

Christie began to evolve transitioning to darker skin and afro hair in the later years before the mold was discontinued in 1978. According to Mattel, the creation of Christie was “in support of equal rights” during that time and was very significant. Though Christie was stamped as a friend of Barbie and broke barriers as the first Mattel doll with black features, it wasn’t until 1980 when the first official doll named “Barbie” premiered.

“Barbie offers a whole new way for children to imagine and play. With that in mind, knowing that the Afro-American community was looking for something that they could identify with and that children could be proud of, I think we achieved that with the Black Barbie doll,” [designer Louvenia] Perkins shared in an official Mattel press release. “[..] What was gratifying to me was that their reaction was, “Oh mommy, look at the doll. She looks just like me.” Or, “She has pretty skin.”"

So what is the difference between a 'Barbie' doll...

...and a Golly...

...other than the fact that one is 'realistic' and the other is a caricature?
MrBarlow likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 22nd August 2021, 06:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Love The Neighbour: Season 6.

Reggie
Joan thinks Eddie is taking her for granted and calls up her Ex boyfriend Reggie which the guys wind him up, when he goes to speak to Reggie, Eddie winds up in hospital.

Jacko's Wedding
Jacko returns from his holiday and announces he is getting married to a woman he met, the guys think she may be a gold digger. Joan finds out the girl is already married and they tell Jacko who thinks about ending it all and decides not to.

Duel at Dawn
Bill tells Eddie he has relatives staying with him which causes Eddie to dispute about how many people should stay in one house. They decide to settle it in a shooting duel with guns that Nobby supplies them with, both men think they will be shooting blanks but Nobby replaces the guns with a real bullet.

The Darts Final
Barbie and Joan go out while Bill goes out, Eddie is left with baby Mark, when a new vicar comes calling Eddie cons him into babysitting which upsets Joan who throws Eddie out in just his shorts and his wardrobe locked, Eddie hatches a plan to get to the darts tournament, he dresses in Joan's clothes.

Royal Blood
Eddie is researching his family tree and thinks he belongs to royalty, Bill buys a painting and passes it to Eddie claiming he sees a resemblance until Joan discovers the paperwork in Ballpoint pen. Mr Pettigrew from Somerset House visits Eddie and tells him he is from royalty but not what he expected to be.

Club Concert
The annual concert is being held, Eddie contacts the Duke of Edinburgh to appear, Bill claims he Knows Charlie Williams, when they meet him they think he is a imposter.
(Guest Appearance: Charlie Williams)

The Nannies
Barbie and Joan start part time jobs for a Saturday, upon phoning the agency Joan requires non young beautiful ladies, the agency sends two young ladies which Bill and Eddie drool over which doesn't go well with Barbie and Joan.

This season didn't seem to have the same humour as in the previous seasons except when Eddie dresses up in Joan's clothing and gets hit on by a drunk at a bus stop and meets him again out on the street the next day. Eddie seems to be housework shy but you do see him move very quickly when he is encouraged and Jacko is given more lines than just saying "I'll have half".

510Xql8PvrL._AC_SY445_.jpg
Old 22nd August 2021, 07:48 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default itveepstalker

recent tv re-watches and one newbie..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00013.jpg (50.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00006.jpg (64.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00005.jpg (14.5 KB, 6 views)

Old 22nd August 2021, 10:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Love Thy Neighbour: Season 7

Famous Crimes
Barbie invites Joan and Eddie for Sunday dinner, Bill goes to the collect Eddie from the club, Jacko shows off his new handcuffs he got worn by Dr. Cribben and handcuffs Eddie and Bill but he can't find the key.

The Lady and the Tramp
The Club hold a lady and the tramp themed night, all men are to be tramps and the translation got lost with Jacko, as they carry on police break up the party as the treasurer forgot to renew the liquor license.

The Protection of the Law
Eddie goes to far with the insults resulting Bill to go to the Caribbean Club, When Jacko, Arthur and Eddie hear there is a stripper performing they decide to go down there as well. When Eddie is rejected he contacts the Race Relation Board and complains about Bill.

The Opinion Poll
Eddie takes on a poll is there more blacks in the country, with a tie in the votes the new vicar decides to hold a boxing match to see who will win.

Manchester United
Manchester United and West ham are playing, Eddie and Bill have their tickets but their wives are watching jobs done round the house before they go include put up a kitchen cupboard.

The TUC Conference
It's election time for shop steward union and Eddie is sure to win and the usual trip to the conference with frisky Doris from the other factory, with little competition Bill stands against Eddie.

The Coach Outing to Bournemouth
Feed up of always being in the house, Joan accepts a trip to Bournemouth, only thing is Bill and Barbie are going and its a conservative bus group and Eddie is Labour, he has a choice, go with Joan or spend the weekend with his Mother in law.

The writers of the previous season must have realised that the comedy writing wasn't up to par and beefed up their ideas for more laughs which they done, there are times where you really do think of punching Eddie in the face but then Bill manages to get one up on him and all you can do is cheer.

51OZiOZIx4L._AC_SY445_.jpg
Old 22nd August 2021, 10:48 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Started watching The Office US. Its not bad so far obviously not a patch on the UK one. It is not as awkward or cringy as the UK one. Only on season 2 now so still early days.
Old 23rd August 2021, 02:06 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Started watching The Office US. Its not bad so far obviously not a patch on the UK one. It is not as awkward or cringy as the UK one. Only on season 2 now so still early days.
It does improve the more you stick with it,and if you do get to season 9, you will be a bit surprised as to what happens at Dwight's Aunts funeral....
Nordicdusk likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!