LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th November 2021, 10:49 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
First 2 eps of season 20 of South Park on Netflix, all new to me. Very funny so far, with an ongoing story arc of a vitriolic online troll. Brilliant twist at the end of episode 1 that it's not Cartman as you - and everyone else - assumes, but Kyle's Rabbi dad!
It's a great season in a very clever and funny show. The storylines about trolling, the US presidential election, and nostalgia are incredibly well-written and thought-provoking.

As much as I love the Randy-centric episodes, the storyline with Gerald Broflovski (a lawyer, not a Rabbi), is key to the season's brilliance.

I finished watching The Outlaws last night on BBC iPlayer. I thought it would be a sitcom with six 30 minute episodes, so was pleasantly surprised when the running time is longer and there was much more drama.

The series, about a group of low-level offenders doing community service, three of whom find a bag full of money acquired, without their knowledge, by another offender in their group, is very well written by Stephen Merchant and Elgin James. The show is very well directed and the entire cast, from established actors like Christopher Walken and Darren Boyd to newcomers Rhianne Barreto and Gamba Cole are well matched to their characters.

Old 5th December 2021, 10:27 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Live Aid

I think this counts as I believe that this aired on The BBC. An incredible event which saw many great performances from Queen, Status Quo, David Bowie...etc. Seeing them perform Do They Know It's Christmas? on stage was amazing.

Tickets were 25 quid (I certainly wonder how much they would cost today) and going to the toilets must have been a challenge lol (If on the grass)

I do wonder that if this was today whether it would have been put on PPV and/or Streaming?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg la.jpg (8.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 6th December 2021, 12:02 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Live Aid

I think this counts as I believe that this aired on The BBC. An incredible event which saw many great performances from Queen, Status Quo, David Bowie...etc. Seeing them perform Do They Know It's Christmas? on stage was amazing.

Tickets were 25 quid (I certainly wonder how much they would cost today) and going to the toilets must have been a challenge lol (If on the grass)

I do wonder that if this was today whether it would have been put on PPV and/or Streaming?
£25 wouldn’t get far on that today, tribute bands cost around that price .
Even entry for one day of a festival are around £100
nicholasrope and MrBarlow like this.
Old 7th December 2021, 05:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Still perusing this Day Of The Dead. How woke it all is. Screw your feeelings, people are getting eaten ffs
To be honest, it's only the fx that's keeping me hooked, the story now turns on one of the biggest cliches in horror.
2 more to go!! (I hope )
nosferatu42 and bleakshaun like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th December 2021, 09:37 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Live 8

20 years on from Live Aid, a series of 8 Concerts across the world took place to create more awareness. It's good but didn't have that WOW Queen type performance.

However the biggest story was Pink Floyd reforming after 20 years animosity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg l8.jpg (3.3 KB, 59 views)
Old 17th December 2021, 10:14 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Recent TV shows since I last posted include:

Would I Lie to You? Series 6-9 – a bit like Have I Got News for You, this format is tried and trusted so all it needs is a good selection of guests for each episode to be funny and engaging. It's good to watch and guess along, keeping score to see if you can do better than the team captains.

The Beatles: Get Back – I wasn't sure whether to put this in the TV or film section. I thought the trailer did a great selling job but then the running time was a little daunting. I needn't have worried because the six hours allows you to see the way the members of the band, both individually and together, create music. It's fascinating to watch the songs evolve and change from a guitar riff or some basic lyrics to a 3-5 minute composition. Highly recommended.

What We Do in the Shadows: Series 3 – although it's nowhere near as good as the first series, the smart writing, great characters, and talented actors make this consistently funny and a show I want to rewatch from the beginning of the first series full

Taskmaster: Series 12 – the only people I knew/recognised were Alan Davies and Victoria Coren Mitchell. Despite this, I really enjoyed watching the interactions between the contestants and Alex, the interplay between Alex and Greg Davies, and the variety of different tasks. Although it's not as fresh or funny as the first series (the necessary social distancing due to Covid-19 hasn't helped this), it's still very entertaining.
Old 18th December 2021, 09:33 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've also watched the first series of Clarkson's Farm. As I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Jeremy Clarkson – he's charismatic and funny but dogmatically opinionated and boorish – I was a bit wary about how much I'd like it.

Fortunately, his larger-than-life personality makes this so interesting and eye-opening. From the very first episode where he, seemingly without doing any research, buys a Lamborghini tractor because it's a Lamborghini.

Sometimes coming across like a child with ADHD and someone with more money than sense, Clarkson – perhaps unconsciously – makes the viewer aware of such things as biodiversity, soil erosion, and climate change.

Additionally, the show gives a little more insight into Jeremy Clarkson as a person. He's not the opinionated alpha male who belittles everyone around him and destroys a problem rather than try to solve it, but a man who is quite thoughtful and is willing to learn from Kaleb, a 20-year-old farmer and Charlie Ireland, Clarkson's farming business adviser. They often have the upper hand due to their knowledge and experience and Clarkson's willingness to heed their advice and learn from mistakes makes this a genuine human interest story.

Bring on series 2!

Old 19th December 2021, 04:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Merry Christmas Mr Bean.

Mr Bean decides to go christmas shopping for a bobble and lights, helps out the Salvation Army, wins a turkey, steals a christmas tree and has a disastrous day. How come this programme is almost 30 years old yet still makes us laugh, classic tv at it's best.

Merry_Christmas_Mr._Bean.jpg
Old 19th December 2021, 04:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Are You Being Served: Christmas Crackers.

Ladies and Gents departments need ideas on how to boost sales up and Young Mr Grace has a idea, Grotto themed display and staff in fancy dress.

I'm sure we hate early cold morning starts, looking forward to a good lunch and it never goes well and forced to dress up then all of a sudden feeling merry, the staff at Grace Brothers go through that. Still think this is one of the best Christmas Episodes of the series.

cracker-07.jpg
Old 20th December 2021, 04:42 PM
Cult Addict

Started season 2 of The Witcher, only 2 episodes in and so far so good. Interestingly the medallion from the games made an appearance in the second episode.

MrBarlow likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!