Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   What TV Have You Seen? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/7170-what-tv-have-you-seen.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th November 2011 11:35 AM

What TV Have You Seen?

A thread simillar to the Which films have you seen? thread.

Discuss which great tv shows you have watched, or forthcoming television which you think others may find of interest.

Pete 11th November 2011 11:39 AM

Family Guy & American Dad then tonight Family Guy, American Dad and in the next few days Family Guy and American Dad.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th November 2011 11:40 AM

The reason i started the thread is because i wanted to say how funny i thought Life's too Short was last night.

The brilliant new comedy from Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant.

The program is about the life of celebrated short actor Warwick Davis from Willow, Return of the Jedi etc.

Brilliantly written and painfully funny - the Liam Neeson "I want to quit acting and take up improvised comedy" cameo appearance was laugh out loud funny, i was rolling around on the settee laughing.

Can't wait for the second episode next Thursday.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 11th November 2011 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 196854)
Family Guy & American Dad then tonight Family Guy, American Dad and in the next few days Family Guy and American Dad.

You got season 11 yet, Pete?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 11th November 2011 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 196855)
The reason i started the thread is because i wanted to say how funny i thought Life's too Short was last night.

The brilliant new comedy from Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant.

The program is about the life of celebrated short actor Warwick Davis from Willow, Return of the Jedi etc.

Brilliantly written and painfully funny - the Liam Neeson "I want to quit acting and take up improvised comedy" cameo appearance was painfully funny, i was rolling around on the settee laughing.

Can't wait for the second episode next Thursday.

I'm not usually a fan of Gervais and Merchant (commence the stoning), but I've seen a couple of promo trailers for Life's Too Short, and it does indeed look very good.

Demoncrat 11th November 2011 11:44 AM

Teenage Vampires (C4, sunday) if this is anything like that last one they had on about blood suckers, should be a hoot.

new series of Mongrels started last week, should still have the "undead" 2nd ep up on iplayer, cheeky and apparently done for Halloween, which means it was held back for some reason! hmm.

Pete 11th November 2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 196856)
You got season 11 yet, Pete?

Not yet, will be getting it for sure though.

Pete 11th November 2011 11:50 AM

In addition to AD and FG I usually watch whatever football is on (although I only watch Match of the Day if Everton get a good result, which hasn't been very often this season :(. Can't bear seeing them lose) and any stand up comedy performances that are on (well, almost any)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 11th November 2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 196861)
Not yet, will be getting it for sure though.

I'm hoping mine will arrive today - although I've already been fore-warned that it will be getting confiscated for Xmas. :pout:

Pete 11th November 2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 196864)
I'm hoping mine will arrive today - although I've already been fore-warned that it will be getting confiscated for Xmas. :pout:

Don't take no crap, demand to be given it early or you'll burn the house down! :D

Saw on Facebook yesterday that in an upcoming episode Brain and Stewie track back in time to the very first episode!

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th November 2011 12:07 PM

Seems i'm way behind with these two shows, only got series 1 of American Dad and the first six seasons of Family Guy.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 11th November 2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 196866)
Saw on Facebook yesterday that in an upcoming episode Brain and Stewie track back in time to the very first episode!

The welfare scam one - nice!

I love the comedy in the very early seasons, so it will be interesting to see how they do this one. :nod:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 11th November 2011 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 196867)
Seems i'm way behind with these two shows, only got series 1 of American Dad and the first six seasons of Family Guy.

I have up to season 5 of American Dad and season 9 of Family Guy, although I know I have the remaining seasons coming for xmas.

Whilst Family Guy has been getting gradually worse over time (as all shows usually do) American Dad get's better over seasons 2,3 & 4 imo.

I've also pre-ordered Volume 5 of Futurama, which is my favourite animated show.

PaulD 11th November 2011 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 196868)
The welfare scam one - nice!

I love the comedy in the very early seasons, so it will be interesting to see how they do this one. :nod:

Even though I went off Family Guy somewhere in the 4th season I might give this a watch to see how they pull it off. I agree with you and think the style of comedy in the early seasons was far better than the stuff they do now. I'll take actual jokes that stem from dialogue and situations over excessive cutaways and insulting offensiveness just for the sake of it any day.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th November 2011 12:17 PM

I have the original frst four series of Futurama (all the size of shoeboxes :mmph:) and although i love it i still have yet to see series 3 and 4. Owned them for years as well.

How come no-one came up with this thread in the past?:crazy:

Pete 11th November 2011 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 196869)
I have up to season 5 of American Dad and season 9 of Family Guy, although I know I have the remaining seasons coming for xmas.

Whilst Family Guy has been getting gradually worse over time (as all shows usually do) American Dad get's better over seasons 2,3 & 4 imo.

I don't have any AD sets - I watch it on BBC Three. I have all but one of the Family Guy boxsets up to season 9 and that is season 2.

Family Guy is getting slightly worse. For me the problem is that they seem to be more interested in doing big fancy action/musical sequences rather than jokes.

Slippery Jack 11th November 2011 08:27 PM

I'm rubbish at sticking with long running tv shows, but this years The Shadow Line was bloody brilliant, with a career best (and show-stealing) turn from Stephen Rea as Gatehouse, a classic villain in any medium :nod: . . .

dream demon 11th November 2011 09:18 PM

Just watched the last episode of The Jury tonight. Cracking!

Just started on Arrow's boxset of The Killing. Blindingly good stuff, but why no Blu, Arrow? Need to get it finished before series 2 is released on December 12th! :woot:

Have also borrowed series 1 and 2 of Spiral from my parents, so I'll crack on with that next.

Did anyone watch the recent BBC 2 series The Hour. Thought it was fantastic although I've yet to see the last two episodes as I want to wait until I pick up the BD (hopefully at the end of the month).

Rik 12th November 2011 08:29 AM

Watched the new Derren Brown Experiments show last night, don't usually like him but it was filmed not far from where I live and a guy from my college course was on it introducing Jason Manford at an open mic night

"They all float down here, they allll floaaaattt!!!"

VicDakin 12th November 2011 10:20 AM

Idiot Abroad 2 Bucket List

5 Attachment(s)
Just watched the last episode of Idiot Abroad,probably the best episode of them all,Karl gets a prostate exam,sells Pilko Pants on Tv and sings with Chas and Dave.

Wes 12th November 2011 09:13 PM

I seem to be watching a lot more TV than DVD these days, down to laziness more than anything else... Enjoying The Walking Dead Season 2, even though the characters just don't engage - even if you didn't dig Lost, it scored big on well-rounded characters - I just don't get that with Walking Dead - still, the zombies are great, real maggotty, crumbling epics...

BBC4 continues its great seaon of Friday night music films and last Friday night, showed Cameron Crowe's Pearl Jam Twenty doc. I know all of two Pearl Jam songs but it was still great... Recording Scorsese's George Harrison documentry as I write this...

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th November 2011 10:23 PM

Damn! Forgot about the Pearl Jam doc. Thats annoying. Will have to look out for it on repeat.

antmumford 13th November 2011 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 197243)
I seem to be watching a lot more TV than DVD these days, down to laziness more than anything else... Enjoying The Walking Dead Season 2, even though the characters just don't engage - even if you didn't dig Lost, it scored big on well-rounded characters - I just don't get that with Walking Dead - still, the zombies are great, real maggotty, crumbling epics...

BBC4 continues its great seaon of Friday night music films and last Friday night, showed Cameron Crowe's Pearl Jam Twenty doc. I know all of two Pearl Jam songs but it was still great... Recording Scorsese's George Harrison documentry as I write this...

I recorded that Pearl Jam, would never have known about it until I saw the Blu in my local HMV. Shame I've missed the Harrison one though, Kellys making me watch Vertical Limit :(

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Baseball Fury 13th November 2011 01:23 AM

PJ20 is a great doc.

I've been watching Braquo on FX and it's brilliant. Ultra violent french police show on the style of Nypd blue, but with a ton more brutality and cool Frenchmen.

Make Them Die Slowly 13th November 2011 09:04 AM

I too really enjoyed the Pearl Jam doc though I've no love of their music. Better for me was seeing Bob Mould's post Husker Du outfit, Sugar, on the programme after.

Baseball Fury 13th November 2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 197316)
I too really enjoyed the Pearl Jam doc though I've no love of their music. Better for me was seeing Bob Mould's post Husker Du outfit, Sugar, on the programme after.

I've recorded the show, but haven't watched it yet.what Dinosaur Jr song did they play?

Demoncrat 15th November 2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehamish (Post 196859)
Teenage Vampires (C4, sunday) if this is anything like that last one they had on about blood suckers, should be a hoot.

new series of Mongrels started last week, should still have the "undead" 2nd ep up on iplayer, cheeky and apparently done for Halloween, which means it was held back for some reason! hmm.

the Vampire thing, sheesh i despair and blame Stephanie Meyer 100%.

currently enjoying The Slap on BBC4, mate raved about the book, so i gave it a go...as a non breeder, im digging this take on the thin veneer of social niceties....though some of the characters are very broadly written (this could be the adapter's fault admittedly)

Wes 15th November 2011 10:54 AM

I just wanted to plug this Friday's (18th) BBC4 Music night - Motor City's Burning: Detroit from Motown to the Stooges

1 hour Documentary looking at how Detroit became home to a musical revolution that captured the sound of a nation in upheaval. In the early 60s, Motown transcended Detroit's inner city to take black music to a white audience, whilst in the late 60s suburban kids like the MC5 and the Stooges descended into the black inner city to create revolutionary rock expressing the rage of young white America. With contributions from Iggy Pop, Alice Cooper, George Clinton, Martha Reeves, John Sinclair and the MC5.

I'm not a Motown fan, but I do like Funkadelic and The Stooges, so I'll be tuning in to this...

Demoncrat 15th November 2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 197779)
I just wanted to plug this Friday's (18th) BBC4 Music night - Motor City's Burning: Detroit from Motown to the Stooges

1 hour Documentary looking at how Detroit became home to a musical revolution that captured the sound of a nation in upheaval. In the early 60s, Motown transcended Detroit's inner city to take black music to a white audience, whilst in the late 60s suburban kids like the MC5 and the Stooges descended into the black inner city to create revolutionary rock expressing the rage of young white America. With contributions from Iggy Pop, Alice Cooper, George Clinton, Martha Reeves, John Sinclair and the MC5.

I'm not a Motown fan, but I do like Funkadelic and The Stooges, so I'll be tuning in to this...

good doc. one of the few repeats i dont mind from the bbc:nod:

antmumford 15th November 2011 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehamish (Post 197778)
the Vampire thing, sheesh i despair and blame Stephanie Meyer 100%.

currently enjoying The Slap on BBC4, mate raved about the book, so i gave it a go...as a non breeder, im digging this take on the thin veneer of social niceties....though some of the characters are very broadly written (this could be the adapter's fault admittedly)

Yeah I've been watching The Slap too, very tense and well acted. The slapper guy is a right A Hole. At first I was leaning more on his side but after the kitchen scene with his wife, he deserves everything he gets.

mercury 16th November 2011 07:54 PM

I have been watching "American Horror Story" on FX. I must say that I am really enjoying it:pop2: On Monday I was getting into it so much that I tried to fast forward the breaks:doh: See I usually record things like this and watch them later. But I will be watching this live...so to speak:confused:
Anyone else liking this?

Slippery Jack 16th November 2011 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 198178)
I have been watching "American Horror Story" on FX. I must say that I am really enjoying it:pop2: On Monday I was getting into it so much that I tried to fast forward the breaks:doh: See I usually record things like this and watch them later. But I will be watching this live...so to speak:confused:
Anyone else liking this?

I keep hearing good things about this, but still know nothing about it. Going to have to investigate methinks, though I'm crap at getting round to starting new tv shows (Boardwalk Empire I've yet to start) . . .

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th November 2011 09:07 PM

Just watched the fourth episode of Frozen Planet.

Stunning yet again. Its what big tv's were made for.

More programmes like this would make the licence fee worthwhile.

fish 16th November 2011 11:00 PM

dirty digest the forbiden pleasure

ok no1 likes a chav ...or so u tell your m8s i watched the dirty digest for some cheep laffs and absolutely loved it. it was extream chav to the highest degree, its like puting sum1 as outragouse as russel brand mix in alen carr and throw in sum filf from the likes as jay from the inbetweens all through a sexy female presenter. whats not to like its so funny i couldnt see the screen - give it a chance you might like it

Demoncrat 17th November 2011 12:04 PM

trailer for DD makes me want to go postal.

anyone catch Rich Hall's latest doc? last night on BBC4 etc.
Road movies the main theme.
his usual unique take on cinema, bigs up Detour so thats all fine and dandy with me.
check it out, i laughed a lot.

platostotal 17th November 2011 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehamish (Post 198298)
trailer for DD makes me want to go postal.

anyone catch Rich Hall's latest doc? last night on BBC4 etc.
Road movies the main theme.
his usual unique take on cinema, bigs up Detour so thats all fine and dandy with me.
check it out, i laughed a lot.

Yeah, he does some fine stuff on 4, his mix of disdain and praise in the same sentence is always worth a watch, how better to host a show about American road movies than from the back of a pick-up truck trundling along the back roads. And 90 mins to boot.:)

antmumford 18th November 2011 04:45 PM

Lifes Too Short is literally the funniest show on TV. Full stop. Last nights one with Johnny Depp was soooo funny I nearly cried.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th November 2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 198539)
Lifes Too Short is literally the funniest show on TV. Full stop. Last nights one with Johnny Depp was soooo funny I nearly cried.

Agreed it was absolutely brilliant.

"Tim Burton's Rumpelstiltskin, and guess who's going to play my wife?"

:pound::pound::pound:

The local news guy was sensational at the convention also.

Demoncrat 4th January 2012 10:17 AM

Devils of Darkness (64) on saturday night, bbc2 btw. did any one catch The Body Snatcher over xmas? wow! list never ends etc...

Demoncrat 8th February 2012 10:33 AM

Being Human series four

A ghost, a werewolf and a vampire live together, originally in Bristol; now relocated to Barry Island.
Pursued variously by shadowy religious types and a looney vampire called Herrick (and thats not the half of it), theyve not had the best of times recently but this was a real belter of a start to the new series imho.
i dont "do" spoilers, :tongue1:
so if youre a fan you know what im on about, if not where have you been?? ive been a fan since the pilot, so il forgive the slight "cheat" in this episode;);) but am looking forward to something on tv again, and who can say that with all honesty in this day and age?