Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree210Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th June 2019, 10:33 PM
Cult Addict

I didn't read any of it... didn't help me at all.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 19th June 2019, 06:39 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I didn't read any of it... didn't help me at all.
I forgot to mention that the only way to stop a zombie is by pouring salt in his mouth then sewing his lips shut..if that ain't helpful then f$%k knows what is..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
nosferatu42 likes this.

Old 19th June 2019, 07:38 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Episode 8: Bad Medicine

Episode 8: Bad Medicine.

bad.jpg

Using native American mythology,(something they would do again with the episode The Energy Eater and then again with Legacy of Terror which uses an Aztec legend),as usual its a fairly goofy idea on paper, a shape shifting American Indian in the guise of Richard Kiel dressed appropriately in Indian garb. Who goes around stealing precious jewels from rich people and killing them with his mystical powers, which include turning into a crow and a coyote...Richard Kiel while looking menacing enough, does not really have that much to do apart from stumble around with his arms out stretched like Frankenstein fumbling for a light switch in the toilet. As always there is some nice banter in the office between Tony ,Carl and Emily, with Carl being the butt of Tony's joke, he ridicules Carl's ability to mix with high society because of his shabby appearance, Carl storms out proclaiming
Carl Kolchak:" I am going out and buy myself some new clothes, okay".....with Emily shouting out in the background as he leaves (Delighted) " Finally! "...Weirdly enough this episode reminded me of Q The Winged Serpent, as Kiel's giant hulking native Indian hiding away at the top of a disused tower block, hording his ill gotten gains, although obviously he's not a flying serpent...Its an entertaining enough episode, just a shame Kiel does not get more to do in it, than just shuffle about in moccasins.

Old 20th June 2019, 08:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Episode 9: The Spanish Moss Murders

Episode 9: The Spanish Moss Murders.

moss.jpg

This episode has a few elements from The Psychic Killer (1975) and also Swamp Thing, as a creature is stalking the streets, killing people ,and all that is left at the crime scene is some plant residue that is later identified as Spanish moss, something which is only usually found in the bayou, or as it happens in Chicago's natural history museum. All this culminates with the fact that a local man who also happens to be a Cajun called Paul Langois,is the prime suspect in the case, unfortunately for the police and Carl, he has been in a deep sleep, being observed by scientists for research. I cannot definitely say that this episode uses Swamp Thing as a direct influence, but its mighty similar, a giant monster draped in moss and foliage looks very similar to swampy or maybe Man-Thing...A really effective episode with a pretty decent climax as Carl and as we find out later Paramafait, a bayou swamp monster, fight it out in the cities sewers, until Carl stabs him with the required wooden stake needed to kill such a creature...This episode also has one of the best Carl vs chief detective moments, as Keenan Wynn as Captain Joe ‘Mad Dog’ Siska,who starts out all sedate and mellow, but by the mid section Siska is stark raving mad as Carl has driven him nuts with his incessant pestering, classic Kolchak...This episode was directed by genre veteran Gordon Hessler and yet again has Richard Kiel in monster mode..

Old 20th June 2019, 08:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Great stuff! I watched these a few years back and need to re-visit.

There are a couple of real clunkers, but by and large they're pretty good. The films are a cut above though in all honesty.
Old 23rd June 2019, 07:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Episode 10: The Energy Eater

ee.jpg

Kolchak at the start of the episode in his monologue, say's " it was all I could do, to stay awake", commenting on the fact that he has been told to report the opening of a brand new hospital. And unfortunately I kind of feel the same way about this episode myself. This is the second episode that take's native American mythology, in the form of an invisible bear god that is dormant under the foundations of the building, dormant that is until he is disturbed and comes awake and starts destroying parts of the hospital. The episode only really gets enjoyable when Kolchak seeks the help of construction manager Jim Elkhorn played by the ever reliable William Smith, who he manages to convince that there's a problem with the hospital. Its one of those episode's that has plenty going on. Its just that most of it centres around Kolchak's investigation rather than the actual fighting of this episodes creature. We only get to see the said bear god when he attacks a lab in the hospital, and Carl and Elkhorn gather up all the un-exposed x-ray plates, where upon they make up a picture of the invisible god "Machi Manudu".Its hard to get worked up about this monster as all he does is cause mild earthquakes and manages to get a hospital evacuated, its not really helped by the fact the episode only really takes place either in the hospital, the newsroom or someones apartment, an average episode for me, no grave's were disturbed in the making of this episode, unfortunately..

Old 24th June 2019, 06:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Episode 11: Horror in the Heights

hight.jpg

Well this is more like it, a Hindu monster, racial prejudice and some social commentary about the plight of old people in a recession. People are dying in Roosevelt Heights, mostly a Jewish neighbourhood, until an Indian arrives and opens up a restaurant, at the same time swastikas are being painted all over the neighbourhood, is there a connection between this new graffiti and the arrival of the new restaurant owner.? Kolchak discovers a Hindu creature called Rakshasa, a monster that makes you believe your seeing someone you most trust in the world, only to attack and kill you before you realise its all to late. A great episode that manages to cram in quite a bit in its limited running time, not only do we get a great monster but also a history lesson on the origins of the swastika, as Carl manages to fathom out what is going on. Its a sharp and witty script written by esteemed screenwriter Jimmy Sangster (1927–2011) and definitely one of the better episodes. Not only this but we get an extended cameo from the great Phil Silvers, its just a shame that he gets killed off far to early in the episode as he would of made a great side kick for Kolchak in this story. I did wonder if all the curry talk, especially when Carl needs the toilet, has the same reputation in the US as it does here, a Sangster in-joke I'm pretty sure....Nice to Tony Vincenzo (Simon Oakland) giving up the will to live after having a short conversation with Carl and Ron....

Old 24th June 2019, 10:46 PM
Cult Acolyte

I got a bit of an IT Follows vibe from that episode!
Old 24th June 2019, 11:18 PM
Cult Addict

Surely it's the other way around young sir.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 24th June 2019, 11:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

I saw them the other way round. You know what I mean.
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!