Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   Kolchak: The Night Stalker (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/8096-kolchak-night-stalker.html)

nosferatu42 24th June 2019 11:33 PM

Yeah but it always winds me up when the kids say old stuff reminds them of a rip off/newer film. "cough".

You're always going on about new films being shit so you should know better.;)

..Ave a word with yerself.

:behindsofa:

Inspector Abberline 25th June 2019 07:47 PM

Episode 12: MR. R.I.N.G.

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 216327

Mr R.I.N.G. another in which a pretty good story about artificial intelligence and all that goes with it, is some what hampered by some lamentable special effects. But all is forgiven as the story rattles along at a fare old pace, and there is enough scenes of Carl bumbling around trying to solve this weeks mystery and inadvertently annoying the police and anybody remotely connected with the case...And while the main thrust of the episode is about a robot trying to come to grips with what makes us human, the more interesting underlying story is that the government and all its associated agencies are trying to cover up the new's item, and in the end Carl believes that he has been drugged, causing him to forget any of the events that have preceded , how you exactly cover up the fact that there's a robot going around smashing things up and being chased by bungling cops is anybody's guess...and if the whole government conspiracy element was enough for you, we then have a robot coming to terms with what it means to be human, and the nipping down to the library to borrow some talking books on existentialism. A bit of a marmite episode this one,im more on board when its a monster or good old fashioned ritual sacrifice, no graves were desecrated but the robot is killed in a hale of bullet's....oh yeah spoiler alert..

Inspector Abberline 26th June 2019 06:53 PM

Episode 13: Primal Scream

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 216357

Here we have Kolchak facing an ecological struggle, and taking on an oil company who have researchers examining samples taken from the Arctic...The Oceanic Oil Corporation (OIO) has something in there lab that's is growing into something very big and hairy...Any episode that has Karl saying the words funky chicken, has to be a winner, and while not a particularly plot heavy episode, it is fun seeing Karl getting the run-around by the police and the oil companies PR man, it only makes him more belligerent and determine to discover the truth...In this case its prehistoric cells that are regenerating into Neanderthal men and running amok in the streets. There is also a great running joke about Karl who keeps parking in Ron Updyke's parking space, and a brilliant little cameo from Jamie Farr from MASH, who plays a disgruntled science teacher who hates his students. We also have John Marley as the head cop,familiar to us genre fans, he was in Deathdream,The Car,It Lives Again and of course the guy who sleeps with a horses head. A great episode that has a rather thrilling finale in a sewer where Karl tracks down the ape man and tries to befriend it,obviously he knows Karl to well and things do not go to plan...

Inspector Abberline 27th June 2019 07:05 PM

Episode 14: The Trevi Collection

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 216376

What surprises me about the series is that they never used witchcraft more often in the series,especially as you would think there would be quite a bit of mileage out of the subject, and lots of potential. Any how The Trevi Collection is a nicely done story,that centres around the fashion industry, where Nina Foch as Madame Trevi,the head of a model and fashion agency is suspected of being a witch and the culprit of some weird deaths..Kolchak, with the help of a model, Lara Parker as Madelaine,tries to find out who is responsible for the strange events. What i enjoy about this episode, is that it gives you all the clichés that go with modern witchcraft and covens, and then pulls the rug from under you and sends it self up, see the scene where Kolchak is duped into going to a ceremony, cowls and all, only for it to be a con to set him off on the wrong track, the scene is great until the end where Lara Parker as Madelaine, decides to go mental and laughs like a lunatic, it really does grate, she starts to look like Karen Black at the end of the zuni doll episode of Trilogy Of Terror, very weird.As always there's some splendid dialogue between kolchak and his editor Vincenzo..
Kolchak. They gave me a time limit.
Vincenzo..Very generous
Kolchak.....60 hours.
Vincenzo .Sixty hours? How did you come up with that?
Kolchak...Arbitration.
Vincenzo. Oh
Overall a great episode with a nice twist, no actual witches were harmed in the making of this episode.

nosferatu42 27th June 2019 11:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is screwing with my mind totally, i was watching the kolchak tv series recently and half of these i can't remember. Love Kolchak and the series but a lot of episodes must be more forgettable than i realised at the time either that or i wasn't paying attention at the time.

Attachment 216380

Inspector Abberline 30th June 2019 12:24 PM

Episode 15: Chopper

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 216465

Well this has to be one of my favourite episodes,its an obvious rip off Sleepy Hollow,just substitute a horse for a motor bike and there you have it,one disgruntled headless man going around loping the heads off anybody who was connected with his own misfortunate decapatation.And yet again while the less than special effects are not particularly convincing,you have to give them credit for trying,and for all its faults,there is something quite magnificent about seeing a headless guy charge around on a motorbike waving a sword around,even if he does look like he might fall off at any minute...Theres a couple of stories in this series that could of been easily in an episode of Scooby Doo,and this is definitely one of them,the other being The Knightly Murders...Chopper Tells the heart warming story of a biker who was decapitated back in 1956,flash back to the present the cemetery is being moved and in the process the dead bikers head is lost in the removal,oh dear how careless.This then starts off the killing spree of the biker until he can re-claim his old decaying bonce,as you do..It is a pretty good yarn and one that Kolchak meets some rather odd character on the way to finding the truth,the motorbike salesman having WW2 flashback and the widow of one of the bikers victims being a good example.Silly but none the worse for that...

Inspector Abberline 2nd July 2019 07:14 PM

Episode 16: Demon in Lace

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 216529

Well not only do we the epitome of genre actors Andrew Prine as a archaeologist but we also have the return of Keenan Wynn --- Capt. Joe 'Mad Dog' Siska as the angriest cop in Chicago, which as you can imagine with Kolchak around that's some stiff competition. The local jocks at the college are dropping dead, but they are also accompanied by women who had died early and seemingly have comeback to life. Apparently there is a succubus loose on the college campus, and it may have something to do with a ancient stone tablet that the archelogy department is studying. Karl cranks up the annoying dial with Tony Vincenzo, in this episode as he drives Tony to depression with his morbid stories, so Vincenzo decides from now on that Karl should only do up beat stories, obviously Kolchak upon hearing this scurries off.. On the whole its a fare episode, but certainly not as fun as the one before it Chopper The scenes where we get to see the succubus are pretty damned good as she has the appearance of aged ancient old woman who has definitely seen better days. The story is a bit dialogue heavy as there is quite bit of exposition in detailing the back story of the succubus, but in every episode we learn something new like Vincenzo used to play drums in his band Tony Vincenzo's Neapolitans and that Andrew Pine's dog in the episode is called KING Tut..(we never see him, but its attention to detail like this I luv)..

Inspector Abberline 3rd July 2019 07:47 PM

Episode 17: Legacy of Terror

This is one of the few times I remember seeing this episode on terrestrial TV back in the day, not sure what channel or which time slot, probably late at night and a time filler for commercial channel, or when the snooker finished early or worse still when Wimbledon over ran and they would shove something on to fill a late night gap, pretty much what happened to Seinfeld in the UK and the original Twilight Zone, shunted from pillar to post, just to accommodate sports fans. Any how the city of Chicago is being littered with corpses with there hearts cut out, what could be the cause you wonder, is it a gang of men dressed as Aztec chickens trying to revive there mummy..??? Well yes it is as it happens, and not only that but we get Erik Estrada, without his police motorbike getting fattened up for an Aztec sacrifice, although he does seem to be wearing a large peacock on his head, but who doesn't like to dress up when there going to sacrificial alter, I know I do. Legacy Of Terror, should of been a pretty good episode on paper, but it doesn't really live up to its initial promise of heart ripping's and Danny La Rue like plumage outfits, but its a fairly average episode, and worth watching if only to see Estrada about to get his heart cut out, no graves were desecrated but a mummy's sarcophagus was opened.http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-kQ4aRvaVEQ...en-capture.png

Inspector Abberline 4th July 2019 06:11 PM

Episode 18: The Knightly Murders

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 216570

Karl almost meets his match when he comes up against John Dehner as Capt. Vernon Rausch,a man who loves the sound of his own voice, he seems to think he's Peter Ustinov, as he waxes lyrical about the case he's investigating, here we see Karl getting some of his own treatment, as he can never get a straight answer out of him. And what has got the police and Karl all mystified, a string of murders, that have all been committed with some sort of medieval weapon,crossbow,lance and mace to name but a few, and who is committing all these atrocities, a black Knight of course, who else??? A nicely paced little episode, which has plenty of humorous moments whether its Karl looking dumb founded by the police Captain our getting told off be the museum curator when Karl starts looking into a suit of armour, hoping to find the villain no doubt. The only real problem is that the Knight in question isn't particularly scary, although quite formidable when he is swing a mace etc he is not really effective as baddiie or monster if truth be told, he very much resembles the kind of knight you would get in an episode of Scooby Doo,lumbering around swinging his massive weapon, I think even Tony Vincenzo could out run him. Highlight of this episode is Minerva Musso (Lieux Dressler) name dropping David Bowie,a great episode if some what lacking in the fright department.

Inspector Abberline 5th July 2019 07:00 PM

Episode 19: The Youth Killer

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 216585

Tony Vincenzo has ordered Karl to do an article on the swinging singles scene in Chicago, looking at all the different facets off the scene, like computer dating and singles apartments, I'm not sure how the latter works, perhaps you throw your flat keys in a bowl, and see who picks yours. Karl finally comes across an agency run by Cathy Lee Crosby who is actually Helen of Troy, who manages to keep her youthful looks by having youthful singles killed in the name of her god, well I say killed, they actually grow old very quickly then keel over, well in one case actually nose dive over a balcony while she is doing her keep fit...Oh dear a very poor episode indeed, a real shame that with only one episode left before the end, that they could not come up with something more a bit more interesting...Its hard to get worked up about the story, since not a lot happens apart from some rather shoddy age effects, when Helen takes another victim. The only interesting aspect of the last two episodes is that they start to introduce two new police captains, which could of meant some fresh blood for a future series, but alas poor Yorick that never happened. Also notice how Karl runs a mile just by the mention of dating or marriage, and Tony Vincenzo tries his hand at yoga, only to get stuck on the floor until Karl comes to his rescue, kudos Karl..