Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television

Like Tree210Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th July 2019, 02:06 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Episode 20: The Sentry

sent.jpg

Well here we are, the end of an era, well not so much an era but the end of a mildly entertaining sci-fi/horror television show which lasted twenty episodes and two films. And do they go out on a high, or a massive bang??? Er not quite, well not at all really, if the expectations for the season finale were high then you would of been disappointed, if at the time you were a child sat crossed legged in front of your television box, then you might just might of been transfixed by The Sentry. It certainly is not the worst episode in the series, but it definitely is not the cream of the crop either. It has far to many scenes that seem to be padding out the running time, god knows how many times we see Karl drive up and down the corridors in that golf buggy. It has very little in the way of Tony Vincenzo and the rest of the INS office are very much missing in action in this episode. And the monster of the week, is well a little under whelming, not the worse special effects but certainly no Rick Baker creation put it that way...Its not a total loss, we get our first female police captain in Kathie Brown, who seems to be popular with every one except Karl,(maybe a hint at misogyny, that his character hasn't shown previously , although in the Trevi episode he does go a bit over board when he holds Lara Parker's head in some water.) and a nice cameo from Happy Days Tom Bosley..As for the plot well you know the score some eggs are found deep under ground and of course they belong to a crocodile person, just another week for Kolchak really...

Last edited by Inspector Abberline; 6th July 2019 at 05:20 PM.
Old 6th July 2019, 02:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Kudos for reviewing each episode so quickly. I must admit i had to watch them at intervals because they aren't as good as i remembered them.

Rumour had it that another season was spoken about but Darren McGavin wanted it to be less fantastic and more of a mundane 'reporter' series.

As if they could revert to that after what came before!

No idea if it's true or not.
Old 11th August 2021, 02:56 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default stalk off

Not sure if this is the final version of the cover for the Kino Blu ray of the series, then again there is no actual poster for the tv show I'm aware 0f...

blu ray extras....from kino website..
Blu-ray Extras Include:
Quote:
Brand New 2K Masters for All 20 Episodes

NEW Interview with David Chase, the Creator of The Sopranos and Co-Writer of Eight Kolchak: The Night Stalker Episodes

NEW Interview with Dana Gould, the Creator of Stan Against Evil

NEW Booklet Essay by Mark Dawidziak, the Author of The Night Stalker Companion and Kolchak Novel, Grave Secrets

21 NEW Audio Commentaries for All 20 Episodes by Mark Dawidziak, Author/Historian David J. Schow, Novelist/Critic Kim Newman, Writer/Journalist Barry Forshaw, Film Historian Tim Lucas, Filmmaker/Film Historian Constantine Nasr, Screenwriter/Producer Rodney Barnes, Film Historian/Screenwriter Gary Gerani, Film Historian/Screenwriter Steve Haberman, Film Historian/Author Amanda Reyes, Filmmaker/Historian Steve Mitchell, Screenwriter/Producer Cyrus Voris, Filmmaker/Historian Michael Schlesinger, and Mike White and Chris Stachiw of The Kolchak Tapes Podcast

14 Original TV Spots (Newly Remastered in 2K)

Newly Commissioned Art by Mark Maddox

Optional English Subtitles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kolchak.jpg (97.1 KB, 7 views)
Rik, Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.

Old 11th August 2021, 05:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I would think it is because it looks like it was done by the same artist as the films
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 11th August 2021, 07:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I would think it is because it looks like it was done by the same artist as the films
yeah good point, I like it.......
Rik likes this.

Old 29th August 2021, 10:38 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default night killers

Quote:
There were THREE Kolchak TV movies written. Two were filmed. This is the never produced THIRD movie, written by grand master RICHARD MATHESON, with some extra help from Chuck Miller (author of KOLCHAK THE NIGHT STALKER DOUBLE FEATURE: PENNY DREADFUL and THE TIME STALKER)! Carl Kolchak in Hawaii! But the reporter who uncovered a vampire in Las Vegas and an immortal strangler in Seattle doesn’t find sun and fun in the Aloha State. He runs up against murderous entities from beyond this world in THE NIGHT KILLERS!

Just been reading about the third un filmed Kolchak movie, in The Lost Films Fanzine...Its pretty much your bog standard UFO landing, and humans in positions of power being replaced by androids....as it says in the mag, probably a good job it never got made, otherwise if it had bombed we probably would never have got the tv show...Also the ending has Carl running around machine gunning the aliens, which just seems highly improbable...The story is available in novel form if anyone is interested...
We did get something similar in the episode "Mr. R.I.N.G."...
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!