Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   The Goodies (TV series) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/8671-goodies-tv-series.html)

VicDakin 10th May 2012 04:38 PM

The Goodies (TV series)

45 Attachment(s)
I think most people of a certain age will remember The Goodies,seen at the time as a kid's version of Monty Python,it had a glorious crazy charm,and re-wathing the series again has brought back some great childhood memories.So if your a fan please show your appreciation,if not then im sending Kitten Kong round :)

The Goodies is a British television comedy series of the 1970s and early 1980s. The series, which combines surreal sketches and situation comedy, was broadcast by BBC 2[1] from 1970 until 1980 — and was then broadcast by the ITV company LWT for a year, between 1981 to 1982.

VicDakin 10th May 2012 04:42 PM

The Goodies: Season 2, Episode 7 Kitten Kong (12 Nov. 1971)

5 Attachment(s)
The boys' latest venture, a veterinary clinic takes in a 23-year year old kitten named Twinkle. Who grows into a giant and attacks the city after being fed a growth serum.

Pete 10th May 2012 07:08 PM

My Dad loves THE GOODIES but I could never get into them. The only thing that ever made me laugh was Tim Brooke Taylor doing SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER.

the goodies saturday night grease - YouTube

Make Them Die Slowly 10th May 2012 10:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I f*cking loved the Goodies when I was a kid. They are the sole reason I moved up north, so that I could learn ecky thump in it's birth place of Rochdale.;)

Did anyone have these? I did, sadly gone now.

VicDakin 10th May 2012 10:20 PM

goodies

Yeah I had The Goodies File and the Disaster movie book,in fact Ive only just remembered I had those :) but like you long gone :doh:

Susan Foreman 11th May 2012 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 240816)
Did anyone have these? I did, sadly gone now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 240817)
Yeah I had The Goodies File and the Disaster movie book,in fact Ive only just remembered I had those :) but like you long gone :doh:

I think I have those (and more) up in the loft

I also have every existing episode on tape - quality varies tho!

The BBC were always embarrassed by the show. They didn't know how to market it - was it adult satire? was it childish slapstick? was it a failed attempt to re-do Python? was it the future of surreal comedy? - and as such, they decided to bury it

When was the last time you saw "The Goodies" on television?

Exactly!

Oh - these should be put up as well to refresh the memory

The original theme song - The Goodies opening theme - YouTube

The best known theme song - The Goodies Theme 1 - YouTube

VicDakin 11th May 2012 05:07 PM

Kung Fu Capers (24 Mar. 1975)

54 Attachment(s)
Kung Fu Capers (24 Mar. 1975)

Pete 11th May 2012 07:43 PM

Surprised no-one has mentioned the Funky Gibbon yet! My used to play it all the bloody time!

Goodies - The Funky Gibbon (HQ) |TOTP 20-3-1975| - YouTube

VicDakin 11th May 2012 08:09 PM

Funky Pete

We may convert you yet young man :)
wiki-
The Goodies also had a string of successful chart singles penned by Bill Oddie.

In 1975, they chalked up five hit singles in twelve months including "The Inbetweenies" and "Funky Gibbon" (both songs are performed during the episode "The Goodies – Almost Live").

"Funky Gibbon" reached number 4 in the charts in Britain, and The Goodies made an appearance on Top of the Pops with the song.

VicDakin 11th May 2012 08:18 PM

Kung Fu Kapers

Viewer death

The episode is infamous for the documented example of a man laughing to death. 50-year-old Alex Mitchell could not stop laughing for a continuous 25 minute period - almost the entire length of the show - and suffered a fatal heart attack as a result of the strain placed on his heart. His widow later sent the Goodies a letter thanking them for making Mitchell's final moments so pleasant