Cultist

so.... who's tuning in tonight?
Old 4th October 2012, 11:25 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterMillennium View Post
so.... who's tuning in tonight?
Me. I'm quite hopeful about it in a way; from what I've heard it sounds like they've returned to the formula of old - no action-adventure rubbish with a focus on character and dialogue, just the four of them back on Red Dwarf and in front of a live studio audience. I wonder if they'll try to explain continuity between this, Back to Earth and the last full series?
Old 4th October 2012, 12:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I haven't watched Red Dwarf since series 3(1990 I believe) but I may tune in for this tonight
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 4th October 2012, 08:43 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

There's a lot to be said for low to moderate expectations; I thought that was actually pretty decent! My main issues with it are unfair and aesthetic to be honest - the fact that everyone looks a little bit too old to be doing it, Kryten's make up and costume is awful and I really didn't like any of the set design. It just didn't look like Red Dwarf enough. Although I am please they're using the model shots again instead of the ropey cgi. There were quite a few laughs in it and it seemed far more concerned with getting the jokes done than just doing more action/adventure sci-fi and getting bogged down/pissing on its own mythology (Lister fathering himself, alternative Ace Rimmers etc) like the last few series. Looks like it could be a promising series.

Although all that stuff with the phone was bloody rubbish and has been done in practically every other sitcom ever.
plasterface likes this.
Old 4th October 2012, 08:47 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

And it looks like throwaway line from Lister about Kochanski, is to let us know that although she may not apprear, Kochanski is still on the ship?
Old 4th October 2012, 08:50 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
And it looks like throwaway line from Lister about Kochanski, is to let us know that although she may not apprear, Kochanski is still on the ship?
Nah, she died between series 8 and Back to Earth; he has a grave for her on Red Dwarf that we see in Back to Earth. Holly's absence is also explained in BTE as well.

What they've never explained is what happened to the crew following the mirror universe and Rimmer kicking death in the groin at the end of series 8.
Old 4th October 2012, 08:51 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Watched about 2 mins of Back To Earth. That was enough!
Old 4th October 2012, 08:53 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Watched about 2 mins of Back To Earth. That was enough!

If you missed the Coronation Street scenes and the overt Blade Runner references you're a lucky man! It truly was awful
Old 5th October 2012, 07:07 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

According to the Den Of Geek review of Trojan...

"There's a mention of Kochanski at one point (2009's Back to Earth ended with Lister resolving to find her), but even that's given as part of a throwaway joke rather than a nod towards any ongoing storyline."
Old 5th October 2012, 07:23 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
According to the Den Of Geek review of Trojan...

"There's a mention of Kochanski at one point (2009's Back to Earth ended with Lister resolving to find her), but even that's given as part of a throwaway joke rather than a nod towards any ongoing storyline."
God, you know what, I totally forgot what happened at the end of BTE. Talk about repression! Lister thinks she's dead but it turns out ultimately that (I think) Kryten lied and she is actually still alive just missing.

Continuity was never Red Dwarf's strong point but I hate how muddled it's all become. The ship is rebuilt in series 8, gets destroyed again, the crew minus New Rebuilt Rimmer go to a mirror universe, then all of a sudden they are back on the original Red Dwarf with (presumably) the old hard light Rimmer who is back from traveling the various dimensions as Ace, with absolutely no explanation given. At the same time, I suspect the jokes would take a backseat if they tried to clean up the continuity so it's something I can live with.

Also, in series 8 the nanobots rebuilt the entire crew, including the original Rimmer. Why didn't they also rebuild Kochanski?

Last edited by PaulD; 5th October 2012 at 07:35 AM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!