Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > Prisoner Cell Block H: The Official UK DVD Forum > Topic of the Week

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jamgood
  • 1 Post By FrankenSuzy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th December 2011, 05:12 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Your Earliest Prisoner Memories!

Hello Prisoner fans!

How's everyone doing?

So Christmas is soon approaching and it's this time of yea when we get all nostalgic - traditions, Childhood favourites replaying on TV, etc. This got me thinking, what is your earliest Prisoner: Cell Block H memory? When did you first get into the show?

Come on, don't be shy, share your memories!

Mine isn't very interesting I'm afraid I'm too young to remember the show when it was originally shown but I swear my mum was a big fan and we may have watched some of the re-runs. I only properly got into it with the release of these Prisoner box sets, which explains why I luv them so much!

So, what's yours? When did you first get into Prisoner?

------------------------------------

Don't forget Prisoner Volume 10 is Out now and can be ordered here!

There's also not long left until volume 11 is released - pre-order yours here.

Oh, and don't forget to enter the Super Competition - we're giving away all 10 volumes to one very lucky person!
Old 15th December 2011, 02:41 PM
Cult Rookie

Cool

I originally started watching Prisoner around 84/85 when I was around 6/7. My mum used to tape it and we'd watch it the next day before school, or stay up late to watch it on the weekend. All my family were fans of the show. Our neighbour also used to tape it so if we had a missed episode due to the VCR being rubbish we'd borrow it from her and watch.

That was the first run on Central back in the day. They sort of re-ran it for a bit but I don't think it finished a second time.

Channel 5 ran it in it's entirety when that channel started. I watched the majority of the series on there, missed quite a lot though with the stupid time it was on and the time changes the had from sports rubbish that was on before.

I've since watched them all again from a borrowed complete collection boxset off a friend. Going to start collecting the series for myself after Christmas. I've have the first box, 32 episodes. Just started watching them ready to get box 2 ;-)

Best show ever made regardless of the acting, sets etc. It's just awesome!
iluvdvds@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 15th December 2011, 02:43 PM
Cult Rookie

Probably much the same. I remember staying up late to watch it with my Mum (who was the fan really!). It was a silly timeslot - somewhere in the wee small hours and she'd often be too tired to stay up for it so I'd watch it on my own. I don't remeber how old I was but I remember feeling very grown up about staying up so late.

Can't remember much about it actually and I don't think any of the characters in it were in the ones I'm watching now so perhaps it was a much later series. Vague recollections of 'The Freak' but that's about it - looknig forward to getting there and watching it anew!
iluvdvds@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 16th December 2011, 03:51 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

It's quite funny how both of you associate Prisoner with childhood memories (even if the show was very adulty! ) I guess there's a pretty big nostalgic appeal to the show for you as well as it being brilliant.
Old 19th December 2011, 12:47 PM
Cult Rookie

Cool

Everyone I knew back then watched Prisoner. All the kids in the school talked about it. Parents must've been more chilled out back then letting young kids watching late night TV. I remember watching a lot of horror films with my mum and dad as a young child. Prisoner was just one of them things. I remember my mum telling me not to repeat words like Bastard when one of the women had used the word in the show.

It was a different world back then though and TV was quite tame compared to today's standards. I wouldn't want my 6 year old watching half of the TV that's on late night now but she can quite happily sit and watch Prisoner with me.

Like this? Share it using the links below!