Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Torso

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th January 2008, 01:29 PM
Cult Rookie

I thought the scene in the woods was atmospheric and well shot. The killer looked great in that balacava. The music is fantastic throughout; would love a copy but I think it is OOP. Not too keen on the cover, but great film, and I didn't notice the supposed poor sound quality.
Old 10th January 2008, 01:37 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Yeah our Torso cover certainly attracted the most criticism but also a fair load of lovin' too. It's on of the reasons why we're now doing reversible sleeves so you get a choice which is nice when you really rate a movie and prefer a classic look.

The sound for anyone who collected back in the days of videotapes is fine but with people used to top quality remasters on DVDs it's not as good as we'd have liked. We were advised it would costs thousands to restore and in the UK you simply don't get the kinds of sales to justify such costs. Even top Argento flicks don't sell through that well.

That said we are upping our game for sound issues and Torso spurred us to consider more options for what we can do. Keep coming back to the boards with your feedback and we'll keep making the effort to improve. Some films though defy anything but insane spends to fix them. On that note people can expect that Ratman is not going to become your next demo disc! We have though delayed that to March to get it presentable.

As for Torso as a film it's a bit of an undiscovered gem which is why we were so pleased to bring it out to the UK uncut for the first time. It's got atmosphere in buckets and unlike plenty of giallos that lose their way Torso builds to a truly tense climax - great stuff!
Old 11th January 2008, 09:29 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

and it has lots of boobies!

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 11th January 2008, 02:47 PM
Cultist

Not as many as Venus in Furs!!
Old 11th January 2008, 03:35 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Or as many horses as Venus in Furs!

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 11th January 2008, 08:57 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The sound wasn't that much of a distraction,the hissing was kind of nostalgic.....however,the pic quality I found superior to the abus release,and as a result ,it's still sitting on amazon for sale.In fact,the only thing the abus release has over your's is the cover artwork,a guy in a skimask always looks sinister!
Old 20th January 2008, 05:53 PM
Cult Rookie

I've got this on IVER VIDEO and it's a completely different shorter cut of the film, with a different opening and alternate music. In all honesty I prefer the short cut, shame it couldn't have been included as well.
Old 30th January 2008, 05:33 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
I've got this on IVER VIDEO and it's a completely different shorter cut of the film, with a different opening and alternate music.
If its titled TORSO, its probably the American Joseph Brenner cut (which also served as the visual basis of the German theatrical release). I do like that version's opening. The alternate music comes from a Spaghetti Western score that somehow ended up as American library music (it was also used as part of the score for Leon Klimovsky's NIGHT OF THE WALKING DEAD). It would have been nice to also see the TORSO cut in a beautiful anamorphic transfer.
Old 30th January 2008, 10:24 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Wouldn't it be nice eh? Well it would be lovely to bring out souped-up editions of these films and of course one day maybe it'll be a possibility - right now it's a slow process to gain sales as people as so used to importing everything.

If and when we might come to doing special editions it'll be with you guys on board so stock up on stuff you would like to see on key releases and maybe one day we can bring something out that'll make you piss your collective pants!

One DVD we're likely going to delay now (for a matter of weeks) will be The Frightened Woman. We've fallen for the film in a big way and it has umpteen cuts and issues to be addressed and we want to make an effort to get it right.
Old 30th January 2008, 11:22 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
One DVD we're likely going to delay now (for a matter of weeks) will be The Frightened Woman. We've fallen for the film in a big way and it has umpteen cuts and issues to be addressed and we want to make an effort to get it right.
Looking forward to it. It would be nice to see as much pristine footage reintegrated back into the transfer to create a composite version but even video sourced stuff of the alternate cuts would be nice as extras (like the extras on BU's BLOODY JUDGE and 99 WOMEN discs).

If I hadn't seen screencaps of the Italian version, I would have thought that the First Run disc was just a little faded but while the transfer is much nicer than the VHS version (the names in the credits are no longer cropped and the framing at least looks right) it still leaves a lot of room for improvement color and soundwise.

Like this? Share it using the links below!