Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Trades & Deals (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Blu-ray Bargain Alerts (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/trades-deals/3988-blu-ray-bargain-alerts.html)

dream demon 17th June 2011 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthelvis (Post 157946)
Planet of the Apes Blu Ray boxset 16.99 on play.com. Had to pick up a copy at that price.

Thanks for the tip; at that price couldn't say no. :thumb:

Legend 18th June 2011 10:29 AM

Amazon have a decent offer right now. Buy Avatar Extended Collector's Edition (17.99) and get a selected bluray free. There are quite a few decent freebies available, but they're all just cheap standard editions. The Hills Have Eyes, Edward Scissorhands, A Bridge Too Far and Road to Perdition are available to name a few. I think I'll avoid any I might get later in a box set (Night/Day Watch, Die Hard, French Connection).

If you were ever thinking of getting Avatar, now's a time as good as any.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 20th June 2011 05:19 PM

Eureka are currently selling most of their Blu-Ray catalogue titles for 7.50 each.

Pete 20th June 2011 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 159235)
Eureka are currently selling most of their Blu-Ray catalogue titles for 7.50 each.

Do they take Paypal?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 20th June 2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 159236)
Do they take Paypal?

Yep.

Gojirosan 20th June 2011 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 159235)
Eureka are currently selling most of their Blu-Ray catalogue titles for 7.50 each.

Thanks for that! Small fortune about to go their way! :lol:

Nemesis 20th June 2011 05:57 PM

Eureka/MoC are seriously good - Vengeance is mine is a great film (although I cannot vouch for the PQ/AQ as I've not got this one). Mad Detective and Soul Power are definitely worth a look. I really liked Profound Desires of the Gods, but that may not be for everyone.

Check out their DVDs too :)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th June 2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 159240)
Thanks for that! Small fortune about to go their way! :lol:

Ditto! I have all but one of them is once I've bought or on review disc so I'll look to complete my collection and buy 'proper' of the ones I only have one a check disc.

Just as I was going to take a break from buying as well!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 20th June 2011 07:22 PM

Here's a few if you're Richard Branson......courtesy of your faithful HMV......:rolleyes:

THE DOORS 30
BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE 24.99
THE BEYOND 24.99
SCREAM TRILOGY BOX 59.99

Wouldn't bloody encourage them!

Although I did pick up Arrow's DVD of SAVAGE STREETS at 18...what's the RRP on that?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 20th June 2011 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 159259)
Here's a few if you're Richard Branson......courtesy of your faithful HMV......:rolleyes:

THE DOORS 30
BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE 24.99
THE BEYOND 24.99
SCREAM TRILOGY BOX 59.99

Wouldn't bloody encourage them!

I want to say I'm shocked... :shocked: but I'm not. :tsk:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 159259)
Although I did pick up Arrow's DVD of SAVAGE STREETS at 18...what's the RRP on that?

Not sure, but it's 9.99 on Amazon - you could of almost bought 2 copies for the price you paid, Reaps. :eek:

Stephen@Cult Labs 20th June 2011 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 159259)
SCREAM TRILOGY BOX 59.99

My local HMV has the Scream films separately for 30 each. :loco: :crazy: I mentioned to my cousin that you can get all three US blu-rays for less than that!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 20th June 2011 07:27 PM

Ms Blair was just too tepting! :tongue1:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 20th June 2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 159263)
Ms Blair was just too tepting! :tongue1:

Now I can't argue with that!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th June 2011 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 159259)
Here's a few if you're Richard Branson......courtesy of your faithful HMV......:rolleyes:

THE DOORS 30
BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE 24.99
THE BEYOND 24.99
SCREAM TRILOGY BOX 59.99

Wouldn't bloody encourage them!

Although I did pick up Arrow's DVD of SAVAGE STREETS at 18...what's the RRP on that?

They are outrageous prices and it's no wonder people buy from the Internet. The RRP of the Savage Streets DVD is 15.99, so it's almost criminal for HMV to be charging that much.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 159263)
Ms Blair was just too tepting! :tongue1:

As I have a review disc, it will be the artwork, booklet and poster which would make me buy a copy.

As it is, I bought eight titles from Eureka so that pile of unwatched discs is just going to grow and grow!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 20th June 2011 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 159262)
My local HMV has the Scream films separately for 30 each. :loco: :crazy: I mentioned to my cousin that you can get all three US blu-rays for less than that!

Absolutely mental,I know.:crazy:

PaulD 21st June 2011 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 159235)
Eureka are currently selling most of their Blu-Ray catalogue titles for 7.50 each.



Gaaaah...really tempted by M and Paranoiac but I've spent so much this month. Decisions, decisions...

Prince_Vajda 21st June 2011 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 159362)
Gaaaah...really tempted by M and Paranoiac but I've spent so much this month. Decisions, decisions...

Too late now, the horse has bolted. Go ahead and succumb to temptation! ;)

Greetings!

Paul@TheOverlook 21st June 2011 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 159283)
They are outrageous prices and it's no wonder people buy from the Internet. The RRP of the Savage Streets DVD is 15.99, so it's almost criminal for HMV to be charging that much.

Don't forget the 'R' in RRP stands for 'recommended' (retail price) - it used to be common practice for the likes of HMV, Virgin and Tower Records to hike up the prices of titles that were no longer in a chart. You'd think in the current climate, with stiff competition from the internet, they'd be happy to sell at RRP. For every person that does shell out for the over-inflated price, there'll be three or four people thinking "that's way too much, won't bother checking in their again" - must be detrimental in the grand scheme of things.

Baseball Fury 21st June 2011 01:35 PM

X-Men Quadrilogy for 15 on HMV website at the moment.

I went to pick up Shogun Assassin and Metropolis from the Eureka site... they're the only two without discounts! Boo!

nekromantik 21st June 2011 01:48 PM

Amazon have Devils Backbone blu for 9.99
finally the price has dropped from 15.99!!

Reaps I am SHOCKED you even shop at HMV.....let alone paying 18 for DVD!!! I pay no more then 15.99 for most Blus and no more then 9 for a DVD!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st June 2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 159398)
Don't forget the 'R' in RRP stands for 'recommended' (retail price) - it used to be common practice for the likes of HMV, Virgin and Tower Records to hike up the prices of titles that were no longer in a chart. You'd think in the current climate, with stiff competition from the internet, they'd be happy to sell at RRP. For every person that does shell out for the over-inflated price, there'll be three or four people thinking "that's way too much, won't bother checking in their again" - must be detrimental in the grand scheme of things.

I'm not used to seeing the RRP much higher than the price for which the item is being sold it seems utterly bizarre to charge more than both the RRP and the Dealer Listing Price (DLP).

I know people can charge what they want for a given item, but the prices people quote from their visits to an HMV store seem completely preposterous and more fool anyone who pays well over the odds.

oaxaca 21st June 2011 02:37 PM

If HMV only sold blu rays I imagine they would have gone out of existance a long time ago. I can only imagine they sell music albums etc at reasonable prices to attract its customers. Been a long time since I bought one so have no idea :p

Paul@TheOverlook 21st June 2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 159450)
I'm not used to seeing the RRP much higher than the price for which the item is being sold it seems utterly bizarre to charge more than both the RRP and the Dealer Listing Price (DLP).

I know people can charge what they want for a given item, but the prices people quote from their visits to an HMV store seem completely preposterous and more fool anyone who pays well over the odds.

There are people who will shell out over the odds to have something there and then. There are of course people with more money than sense too. Like I said before, I think it's detrimental in the long run because a lot of people will think they're taking the mickey and not buy full price back catalogue products from them at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 159466)
If HMV only sold blu rays I imagine they would have gone out of existance a long time ago. I can only imagine they sell music albums etc at reasonable prices to attract its customers. Been a long time since I bought one so have no idea :p

Apparently music is a small part of their business now - DVD is the driving force and the reason why music sections have shrunk in the stores.

dream demon 21st June 2011 05:35 PM

To be honest I think they make more from video games than movies or music. I used to work in the industry, and trust me when I say that the mark up on software is HUGE. That's why they can afford to knock 75% off after 12 months and still make a profit. Once a game has recouped it's development costs - and the big titles can do this within a very short time - it's all gravy after that. Downloads and streaming have hit music and movies hard when it comes to physical formats, but games are relatively unaffected in comparison - for now. Over the next few years when it becomes more common for the majority of consumers to just download software that will go the same way as the CD and the DVD.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if you told me that they make more money on the t-shirts and iPod accessories than they do on their DVDs and Blu-rays.

Legend 25th June 2011 10:44 AM

Not as much of a bargain as it is just a question, but HMV have Close Encounters of the Third Kind 30th Anniversary listed at 8.49. Other sites have it listed for a similar price but show an image of the standard plastic blu case. Could anyone confirm if the 30th Anniversary is the really cool digipack with cover, pullout and all the trimmings?

wayfarer 27th June 2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legend (Post 160498)
Not as much of a bargain as it is just a question, but HMV have Close Encounters of the Third Kind 30th Anniversary listed at 8.49. Other sites have it listed for a similar price but show an image of the standard plastic blu case. Could anyone confirm if the 30th Anniversary is the really cool digipack with cover, pullout and all the trimmings?


I doubt it will be. I ordered CESK cheap just before Christmas and it was the standard case.

Baseball Fury 27th June 2011 12:00 PM

Bargains for any Clint fans out there -

full Dirty Harry collection for 17-

Dirty Harry Boxset Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, The Enforcer, Sudden Impact, The Dead Pool Blu-ray Region Free: Amazon.co.uk: Film & TV

the directors collection (Gran Torino, Flags, Letters, Mystic River and Unforgiven) 18

Clint Eastwood: The Director's Collection Blu-ray Region Free: Amazon.co.uk: Clint Eastwood, Matt Damon, Kevin Bacon, Marcia Gay Harden, Laura Linney, Hilary Swank, Tim Robins, Morgan Freeman: Film & TV

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 1st July 2011 11:45 AM

It looks like Axel's $0.99 shipping comes to an end on July 17th, so if anyone is thinking about ordering: I'd do it soon!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st July 2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 162235)
It looks like Axel's $0.99 shipping comes to an end on July 17th, so if anyone is thinking about ordering: I'd do it soon!

Is the Canadian summer shorter than everywhere else in the northern hemisphere?

bdc 1st July 2011 12:56 PM

Seems they're originally from Denmark... :lol:
Better order my most wanted before July 17th then...

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st July 2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 162268)
Better order my most wanted before July 17th then...

Same here, just as I was trying to find a month to let my bank balance build back up. Oh well, there's always August!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 1st July 2011 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 162277)
Same here, just as I was trying to find a month to let my bank balance build back up. Oh well, there's always August!

I don't think there's much coming out in August that I want (thankfully!) so my bank account can get some much needed rest too. ;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st July 2011 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 162333)
I don't think there's much coming out in August that I want (thankfully!) so my bank account can get some much needed rest too. ;)

That's good to hear -- maybe I can make a serious dent in the pile of unwatched discs! As far as reviewing goes, I have a fairly busy few weeks and then, at the moment anyway, there's only one title for August!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 1st July 2011 05:51 PM

Now,remain calm it's not an April 1st prank,but HMV have the following goodies ......(Must be a Universal promo)

I picked up for 6 quid each.....
LAND OF THE DEAD
DANTE'S PEAK
WATERWORLD
THE JACKAL
DAYLIGHT
TWISTER

They also had many more.......

eg HANNIBAL LECTRE TRILOGY BOXSET-15


Oh and the SCREAM trilogy has finally come down to 35.....chancers!:lol:

PaulD 4th July 2011 07:14 PM

Batman: The Motion Picture Anthology on Amazon.co.uk for 9.99

Although it's got the same box as the bare bones dvd collection this does have the special features from the later-release 2 disc dvd special editions. Well worth an upgrade to bluray.

nekromantik 4th July 2011 07:39 PM

Lord of the Rings extended is down to 44.99 on amazon and already all stock gone :lol:

Pete 4th July 2011 09:09 PM

Wow, didn't realise the BACK TO THE FUTURE trilogy tin was worth so much:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Back-Futur...item35b341a78c

Stephen@Cult Labs 4th July 2011 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 163262)
Wow, didn't realise the BACK TO THE FUTURE trilogy tin was worth so much:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Back-Futur...item35b341a78c

Oh yeah, I've seen some at 150+ Glad I bought it when it was released.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th July 2011 09:40 PM

Asda have a few good buys this week.....

FIFTH ELEMENT-9

THE RESIDENT 9.99

HOT FUZZ AND A HOST OF OTHERS-7

nekromantik 4th July 2011 09:45 PM

Tesco Entertainment 15% off 20+ - 20JULY15-1
Used it for Jurassic Park LE - 39
altho Tesco only list 2 JP editions so not sure if its tin or t-rex model


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.