Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Trades & Deals (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Blu-ray Bargain Alerts (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/trades-deals/3988-blu-ray-bargain-alerts.html)

Delirium 21st August 2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 267518)
It's all liable once the £15 is exceeded, postage as well. Hmm.. What to do. I already have the briefcase!

Eh? Postage doesn't count - only the product total. Postage always takes it over £15.

As long as the item itself stays below £15 you'll be fine. As has been said, if that much of a concern, check the exc rate again before release date.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st August 2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 267514)
I always forget this so just to confirm, customs charges apply solely to the value of the good and not the P&P? If so, I'm putting an order in and crossing my fingers until October (will set myself a reminder a week before the release date to check the rates again)

Customs look at the value of the item and, if it's under £15 then there'll be no problems. If it's over £15, they'll charge you a percentage of the total cost (the item and P&P) plus £8 for using a calculator!

wayfarer 21st August 2012 01:13 PM

Does anyone know if this Blade Runner release is Region Free? The last lot was.

Refused 21st August 2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 267522)
Eh? Postage doesn't count - only the product total. Postage always takes it over £15.

As long as the item itself stays below £15 you'll be fine. As has been said, if that much of a concern, check the exc rate again before release date.

Just checked on the HMRC website. If the item's value is over £15 then you're charged import VAT on that AND the postage cost. Plus that stupid £8 fee.
Thieving swines.

Baseball Fury 21st August 2012 01:22 PM

Just to confirm -

ITEM A is declared at £14.50 + £10 postage - no customs charge (as ITEM A under £15)

ITEM B is declared at £16.00 + £10 postage - customs charge is £5.20 (£16 + £10 x 0.2) + the Royal Mail handling fee of £8.

As soon as the value of the contents exceeds £15, VAT is due on all monies paid (ITEM + postage).

Tis a stupid system, but our government came up with it, so of course it's obtuse.

the blob 21st August 2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 267522)

I should have said once £15 for the goods is exceeded. It's the same as the UK. Stores who charge for shipping should apply the VAT after it's been included. You just hardly ever notice it because not many of them provide VAT invoices.

It's why free shipping for cheap goods in the UK is easy as there wouldn't be any point if shipping wasn't VAT liable.

Delirium 21st August 2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refused (Post 267527)
Just checked on the HMRC website. If the item's value is over £15 then you're charged import VAT on that AND the postage cost. Plus that stupid £8 fee.
Thieving swines.

Yeah, I read it as total for product and shipping exceeding £15 results in a VAT charge. But yes, the total charge for VAT on P&P is completely and utterly stupid.

Let's hope it doesn't go over the £15 limit! It's only 20p out, and rates can fluctuate. Mind you C&E set their limits per month, not what XE currently says (and C&E are usually, from experience, just under what XE list).

Fingers crossed.

the blob 21st August 2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 267528)

Tis a stupid system, but our government came up with it, so of course it's obtuse.

Sort of but then it makes perfect sense when applied to the UK, else it would be open to extreme abuse. Basically any item that is VAT liable has to have VAT liability on the shipping too.

The scenario could be

Amazon/ Play etc : Item £5.00 - Shipping £9.99, so they could get away with only paying VAT on the £5

Delirium 21st August 2012 01:38 PM

This is the page you'll wanna be checking for October rates: HM Revenue & Customs

(Case in point, XE says the exchange is currently 1 GBP = 1.55431 CAD, while C&E have it set at 1.5792 for this month.)

Rik 21st August 2012 06:41 PM

Resident Evil 1-4 pre-order for £10.99 at Sainsbury's
https://www.sainsburysentertainment....duct=E11121659