Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Trades & Deals (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Blu-ray Bargain Alerts (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/trades-deals/3988-blu-ray-bargain-alerts.html)

the blob 25th September 2011 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refused (Post 184334)
The rather nice looking Guillermo Del Toro box-set is currently £17.99 on Zavvi.

Bloody typical while I'm at my most skint for ages and it's one of my most wanted sets!

antmumford 25th September 2011 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refused (Post 184334)
The rather nice looking Guillermo Del Toro box-set is currently £17.99 on Zavvi.

Is it? Just checked and couldn't find it at that price. Can you put a link in?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

the blob 25th September 2011 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 184372)
Is it? Just checked and couldn't find it at that price. Can you put a link in?

Same here. I was just trying to wrangle an early Christmas present purchase from the Mrs but it's coming up as £41.85 for me, which is actually more expensive than pretty much everywhere else.. :lol:

antmumford 25th September 2011 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 184374)
Same here. I was just trying to wrangle an early Christmas present purchase from the Mrs but it's coming up as £41.85 for me, which is actually more expensive than pretty much everywhere else.. :lol:

Same here. I got so excited too cos I really want this set and I've been waiting and waiting for a good price

the blob 25th September 2011 10:19 PM

Must have been a 'Secret Sunday before Mega Monday' deal!

Refused 25th September 2011 10:19 PM

Ah, lame. Sorry to get all your hopes up! It was £17.99 when I ordered.

the blob 25th September 2011 10:27 PM

Oh well, at least the big price jump just worked to convince the Mrs what a good deal it'll be if it drops again between now and Christmas. :)

antmumford 25th September 2011 10:37 PM

You were lucky then refused, It's still showing on find-dvd but when you click the link it goes straight to the higher price again Guillermo Del Toro Collection Blu Ray - Compare Prices at Find-DVD.co.uk

pedromonkey 26th September 2011 01:32 PM

play.com are selling The Walking Dead Season 1 on Blu for £14.99 for today only.

THE WALKING DEAD SEASON 1 - 14.99 PLAY.COM

Hugh 26th September 2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 184522)
play.com are selling The Walking Dead Season 1 on Blu for £14.99 for today only.

THE WALKING DEAD SEASON 1 - 14.99 PLAY.COM

Good price, but be warned, the UK disc is cut.

The US disc is uncut, but region locked.

Paul@TheOverlook 26th September 2011 02:16 PM

Play is also selling Julia's Eyes at £8.99 for today only...

pedromonkey 26th September 2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 184529)
Good price, but be warned, the UK disc is cut.

The US disc is uncut, but region locked.

my Player isn't multi regional so that's why i ordered it, was it shown uncut when it aired in the U.S because i have them on a disc somewhere.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th September 2011 07:41 PM

Is there a list of the cuts somewhere?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th September 2011 07:45 PM

I've just looked on the BBFC website where each episode is listed and says 'No cuts made', so how is it cut?

Paul@TheOverlook 26th September 2011 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 184641)
I've just looked on the BBFC website where each episode is listed and says 'No cuts made', so how is it cut?

They're obviously cut by the distributor or the company has acquired cut versions. Something similar happened with the first season of 24 but it was the UK where the longer episodes were released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulD 26th September 2011 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 184641)

Some of (maybe 2 I think) are the European Pay TV versions which were cut, not the full US versions (which I think were broadcast over here on FX and Channel 5). The cuts are down to a shorter versions being put on the disc, not the BBFC cutting anything, if that makes sense.

PaulD 26th September 2011 07:54 PM

Walking Dead, The (Comparison: European Version (e.g. UK BD) - US Version) - Movie-Censorship.com

There's more info on the differences there.

Hugh 26th September 2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 184659)

From Melonfarmers

The Walking Dead: Episode 1 - Uncut

The Walking Dead: Episode 2: Guts
9s of cuts to Rick dismembering a corpse with an axe and then delving around in its innards

The Walking Dead: Episode 3: Tell it to the Frogs
7s of cuts to a zombie feasting on deer

The Walking Dead: Episode 4: Vatos
Missing two explicit and gory zombie bites in the scene where the camp is attacked near the end. One of these - where a young woman is bitten in the throat, with screams and gushing blood.

The Walking Dead: Episode 5: Wildfire
12s of cuts to Carol twice driving a pickaxe into the head of her dead husband

The Walking Dead: Episode 5: TS-19 - Uncut

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th September 2011 08:32 PM

Thanks for the info, Hugh. I'll shop around and compare the prices for the US release.

Hugh 26th September 2011 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 184685)
Thanks for the info, Hugh. I'll shop around and compare the prices for the US release.

Sorry to do this to you ;) but......

There is a special edition and a limited edition out soon, as well as the older blu.

Old blu-ray has
The Making of The Walking Dead
Inside The Walking Dead: Episodes 1 – 6
A Sneak Peek with Robert Kirkman
Behind The Scenes Zombie Make-Up Tips
Convention Panel with the Producers
The Walking Dead Trailer

Extra Footage includes:
Zombie School
Bicycle Girl
On Set with Robert Kirkman
Hanging with Steven Yeun
Inside Dale’s RV
On Set with Andrew Lincoln

Special edition (out soon) has the above plus
Pilot Episode: The B&W Version
Audio Commentaries On All 6 episodes
We Are The Walking Dead
Bring Out The Dead: KNB And The Art of Making Zombies
Digital Decay: The VFX of The Walking Dead
No More Room in Hell: The Walking Dead Phenomenon
Adapting The Dead
Killer Conversations: Frank Darabont & Greg Nicotero

Limited edition has all the above plus
contains an exclusive wearable zombie mask from NECA designed by the series' own make-up artist, Greg Nicotero

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th September 2011 08:45 PM

I just searched and noticed the special edition was coming out on October 4 with all those extra features so I'll either order that or the one with the cool zombie mask -- the commentaries should be really interesting.

Hugh 26th September 2011 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 184692)
I just searched and noticed the special edition was coming out on October 4 with all those extra features so I'll either order that or the one with the cool zombie mask -- the commentaries should be really interesting.

I'm interested in the zombie mask one, but it's a Best Buy exclusive.

Could be tricky to get over here.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th September 2011 08:56 PM

It used to be available at Amazon but, as you said, is now only available at Best Buy. Decisions, decisions...

antmumford 26th September 2011 10:46 PM

Wow!........... Stanley Kubrick Boxset only £17.29. Bargain of the month hmv.com: Music CDs, DVDs, Games & More

Refused 26th September 2011 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 184765)
Wow!........... Stanley Kubrick Boxset only £17.29. Bargain of the month hmv.com: Music CDs, DVDs, Games & More

Amazing, was tempted to get it for £32 just the other day. Held off because I had a feeling it would drop under £30, but didn't expect it to be that cheap.

antmumford 26th September 2011 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refused (Post 184766)
Amazing, was tempted to get it for £32 just the other day. Held off because I had a feeling it would drop under £30, but didn't expect it to be that cheap.

Glad to be of service. I paid like £50-60 when it came out and I still haven't opened it yet, doh! :tsk:

Refused 26th September 2011 10:57 PM

Why are all these boxsets plummeting in price lately? The power of Star Wars perhaps, or just stock clear outs before Christmas?

Baseball Fury 26th September 2011 11:32 PM

Quote:

I love you.

bigandya 27th September 2011 05:07 AM

Quote:

I found that for myself last night just before midnight and ordered straight away.

This morning its £42.93 again.

Talk about luck! :)

antmumford 27th September 2011 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 184774)
I love you.

:blush:

It all adds to my bad luck though as someone found the Guillermo Boxset for £17.99 and I've been wanting it for ages. Then when I find a bargain it's for soemthing I already have. Story of my life *tiny violin playing* :lol:

Glad to have been of service to all those that were up late enough to grab the bargain. :happy:

Slippery Jack 27th September 2011 08:35 AM

Quote:

Great price - though I thought I remember hearing the HD transfers were pretty shocking and not worth the upgrade . . . ?

Baseball Fury 27th September 2011 08:45 AM

Well, as 2001 (at least the original blu) is a reference level disc, and The Shining is also highly regarded, I'd be surprised!

Quote:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
Director: Stanley Kubrick
Cast: Keir Dullea, Gary Lockwood, William Sylvester
Info: Warner Bros./PCM 5.1/2.2:1/VC-1

It really is encouraging that the movie that has polled the highest in our list is also one of the oldest, as it goes to show that studios – in this case Warner Bros. – are willing to go that extra mile to ensure that Blu-ray will become the format of the future. To date, far too many distributors have been releasing one substandard catalogue release after another in the hope that consumers are stupid enough to hand over their hard-earned cash for what is essentially an upscaled DVD.

With 2001: A Space Odyssey, though, Warner has gone above and beyond the rest, gifting us with a disc that excels in every way. First and foremost we should thank Kubrick for the main feature, which is filled with so much iconic imagery that it’s hard to keep track. However, it’s pleasing to see that his stunning vistas have been captured so perfectly for this release. Black levels – highly important for a film set in deep space – are absolutely perfect on this high-def transfer and give a sense of depth that the DVD release can’t hope to match, while the attention to detail throughout is staggering. We’ve lost count of the little incidental details on this encode that were just not visible on previous versions, with the famous starfields proving a perfect showcase for this; on Blu-ray we can see these distant suns for what they actually are, instead of hazy indistinct dots scattered across the screen. It’s almost inconceivable that this movie was created four whole decades ago, as the print looks as if it was only created yesterday, with virtually no blemishes, scratches or softness to speak of.

This stunning transfer is also supported by a commendable audio mix, which helps the classical soundtrack really hit home. The soothing sound of HAL’s voice has never sounded so velvety and is expertly balanced with the hiss and groan of machinery. The audio does tend to be a little front-heavy at times, but this is only to be expected from a film of this age. When you’re done with the AV delights of the main feature then there’s the selection of outstanding extras to digest, which not only offer a great insight into this landmark film but also examine its reclusive auteur. Quite frankly, it’s hard to see how this package could be any better than it currently is – 2001: A Space Odyssey is undoubtedly the definitive disc by which all future catalogue releases should be judged.

Slippery Jack 27th September 2011 09:02 AM

Oh cool. Not sure what I was thinking of then... might just make that purchase!

antmumford 27th September 2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 184795)
Great price - though I thought I remember hearing the HD transfers were pretty shocking and not worth the upgrade . . . ?

I've seen Lolita and The Shining on BD and they both look superb mate. Haven't got round to opening my set and watching the others yet though.

Refused 27th September 2011 12:24 PM

Just got an email from HMV saying it's on its way :)
No word from Zavvi about the Guillermo boxset though, hoping I don't get a cancellation email about it.

antmumford 27th September 2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refused (Post 184841)
Just got an email from HMV saying it's on its way :)
No word from Zavvi about the Guillermo boxset though, hoping I don't get a cancellation email about it.

I'll buy the Guillermo set off you for £20 :tongue1:

Slippery Jack 27th September 2011 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 184838)
I've seen Lolita and The Shining on BD and they both look superb mate. Haven't got round to opening my set and watching the others yet though.

Cool. Reckon Barry Lyndon is the one I'd want to check out on BD first :cool: . . .

Slippery Jack 27th September 2011 02:08 PM

...woah woah WOAH :mmph: where's the bargain gone?!?!? It's going for £42.93 on hmv now:yell::screams::mad2: . . .

brain dead 27th September 2011 02:59 PM

Knew I should have hopped on that Kubrick set last night when I saw it. But I had a feeling my wife wouldn't be too impressed at me having the US and UK sets.
But since it would have been a good way to get the international cut of The Shining at a reasonable price...
Guess I'll eventually get the German version.

antmumford 27th September 2011 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 184887)
...woah woah WOAH :mmph: where's the bargain gone?!?!? It's going for £42.93 on hmv now:yell::screams::mad2: . . .

Oh yeah it had gone straight up again this morning. Seems it was only at that price for a few hours last night. :mmph:

Bad luck buddy, I know how you feel though :(