Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Trades & Deals (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Blu-ray Bargain Alerts (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/trades-deals/3988-blu-ray-bargain-alerts.html)

oaxaca 26th October 2011 08:57 AM

I'm a fan of both versions. Excellent casting in both. Peck and Mitchum vs Nolte and DeNiro, all likeable actors. I think Scorsese goes a little OTT with his direction though which detracts a bit from the tension and atmosphere whereas the original remains a really tight and tense affair. Also I believe Peck and Mitchum really were opposite personalities in real life as well as in the movie, and this shows. And finally, the moody atmospheric B&W photography suits the film down to the ground. So the original wins for me.

oaxaca 26th October 2011 09:48 AM

Type ZWEDS in at zavvi and its 10% off all orders excluding pre-orders. Only another 25hrs left of the deal!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 28th October 2011 11:44 AM

Just received this e-mail from Amazon Re: Silent Running...

Quote:

Dear Customer

We are writing to inform you that the price for the item

Silent Running (1971) (Masters of Cinema) [Blu-ray] - Asin: B005DE1G2Y

was displayed incorrectly at the time you placed the above referenced order.

Despite our best efforts, with the millions of items available on our website, pricing errors can occasionally occur.

In our Pricing and Availability Policy (see Amazon.co.uk Help: Pricing), we state that where an item's correct price is higher than our stated price, we contact the customer before dispatching.

All affected orders have now been cancelled. If you still wish to purchase this item, please place a new order online as from tomorrow, which will be charged at the correct price, when we dispatch it to you.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by this error, and rest assured that we will continue to make every effort to maintain the accuracy of all prices on our site.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Warmest regards,

Customer Service Department
Amazon.co.uk

To be expected, really. :ohwell:

At least I have the Steelbook still on pre-order.

PaulD 28th October 2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 193427)

Just got the same email. Thankfully, I also have the steelbook on order which I seem to remember being at a fairly decent price

wayfarer 28th October 2011 11:47 AM

people are slagging Amazon off (as evident on Twitter) but they're still my favourite online shop and mistakes happen.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th October 2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 193427)
Just received this e-mail from Amazon Re: Silent Running...

I received the same e-mail which, to be honest, I was expecting. I also have the Steelbook preordered and have the check disc to watch at some point before watching it for review.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 28th October 2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayfarer (Post 193430)
people are slagging Amazon off (as evident on Twitter) but they're still my favourite online shop and mistakes happen.

Agreed.

They'd be making a very poor business decision to sell at that price, and it was pretty obvious at the time that it was a pricing error.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th October 2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 193432)
They'd be making a very poor business decision to sell at that price, and it was pretty obvious at the time that it was a pricing error.

They'd lose thousands of pounds (if not more) if they honoured all those pre-orders, the ones which bumped Silent Running to the top of the chart and, as it was obvious it was a misprice, cancelling the orders was the only sensible decision. Anyone expecting Amazon to honour 100% of orders is almost delusional!

Stephen@Cult Labs 28th October 2011 12:01 PM

Damn it! Just got my email from Amazon regarding Silent Running. I knew what it was even before reading it.

broonage 28th October 2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 193439)
Damn it! Just got my email from Amazon regarding Silent Running. I knew what it was even before reading it.

:llama::llama::llama:

Me too!

Roughale 28th October 2011 01:57 PM

I see no reason to complain about amazon pulling this off, this is the 4th forum I read about this, so in the times of the internet and the fast spreading of such mis-priced items, I think it is a fair move...

Prince_Vajda 28th October 2011 02:16 PM

This really was a very obvious mispricing. It's absolutely understandable that Amazon aren't accepting so many cheap pre-orders.

With Amazon's huge range of products, mistakes like that are simply not avoidable!

Greetings!

pedromonkey 28th October 2011 02:42 PM

not really surprised at them not honouring the pre-order, it's understandable. and like Wayfarer said, they're still the best online retailer for me...

oaxaca 28th October 2011 04:25 PM

I just got the same email! I think amazon would be even better if they were with quidco and gave cashback like every other online retailer does. This really puts me off using amazon. 9 times out of 10 zavvi is cheaper too nowadays

monkeyscreams 28th October 2011 06:01 PM

My order of Silent Running was also canceled. But I ordered the steelbook blu anyway, at 12.89 that seems a good price.

monkeyscreams 28th October 2011 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 193568)
9 times out of 10 zavvi is cheaper too nowadays

Maybe true, I don't know. But Silent Running Steelbox is 19.95 at Zavvi, and 12.99 at amazon.co.uk

oaxaca 28th October 2011 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyscreams (Post 193604)
Maybe true, I don't know. But Silent Running Steelbox is 19.95 at Zavvi, and 12.99 at amazon.co.uk

That's certainly something in Amazon's favour !!( I've also ordered that steelbook from amazon). To be fair I think I'd like to reduce that statistic to 7 times out of 10 :p Its just seemingly all the BDs I've bought lately have been from zavvi as they were the cheapest when I did a price comparison.

the blob 28th October 2011 08:55 PM

I got my cancellation email too. I've already called them and informed them I'll be taking it to the European Court of Human Rights.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th October 2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 193439)

BASTARDDDSSSS! :lol:

Daemonia 29th October 2011 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 193665)
I got my cancellation email too. I've already called them and informed them I'll be taking it to the European Court of Human Rights.

I've gone one better than that. I've lodged an official complaint with God. I fully expect Amazon to be struck by lightning.

PaulD 30th October 2011 09:37 AM

If anyone has a That's Entertainment store near them and is interested in the Arfter Dark Originals series they had Prowl, Fertile Ground and Seconds Apart blurays in my local store as a 2 for £5 deal.

Sam 30th October 2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 193953)
If anyone has a That's Entertainment store near them and is interested in the Arfter Dark Originals series they had Prowl, Fertile Ground and Seconds Apart blurays in my local store as a 2 for £5 deal.

Nice one Paul, I'll check them out this week :)

dream demon 30th October 2011 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 193953)

I'll have to have a look at that price. :nod:

Vampix 4th November 2011 02:48 AM

HMV.com are offering Carpenter's The Thing on Blu-ray for £4.99. :)

wayfarer 4th November 2011 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 195172)

That's a great price! Anyone who's a fan and (for some odd reason) hasn't got the BR yet; buy it!:nod:

napalm-in-the-morning 4th November 2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 195172)

A bargain! Got one this morning in-store to upgrade from my old SD. Had to buy something else with it to keep it at £4.99 so got Human Centipede 2 as an HMV exclusive but only the SD version is available. Can't imagine it's going to worth a BR anyway. As well as The Thing at £4.99 thay had Poltergeist as well. Seems to be an offer in the shops as well as online.

nekromantik 4th November 2011 08:01 PM

zavvi have the mist on blu for £6.95 at the moment :)
I already got the US disc but I am tempted to get this as I love the flick.

bigandya 5th November 2011 03:17 AM

Also zavvi have Heroes Season 4 for £9.95. Been looking to complete my Heroes Blus for some time, but didn't want to pay the £17.95 zavvi have been asking, so £9.95 was a bargain for me. :)

dream demon 7th November 2011 07:28 AM

Play Mega Monday -

Play.com - Buy Inglourious Basterds (Blu-ray) online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe!

Play.com - Buy Pulp Fiction (Play.com Exclusive Steelbook) (Blu-ray) online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe!

Play.com - Buy Clint Eastwood: Dirty Harry Collection Box Set (5 Discs) (Blu-ray) online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe!

Play.com - Buy Hannibal Lecter Trilogy (3 Discs) (Blu-ray) online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe!

I'm a bit p*ssed off about the Pulp Fiction steelbook if I'm honest. :mmph:

PaulD 7th November 2011 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dream demon (Post 195849)
I'm a bit p*ssed off about the Pulp Fiction steelbook if I'm honest. :mmph:

Me too, especially since I haven't even been able to watch it yet due to firmware issues. Gaaarrrgh!

Daemonia 7th November 2011 10:16 AM

Dirty Harry boxset ordered - nice spot! :)

robertzombie 7th November 2011 10:40 AM

Agreed about Pulp Fiction, very annoyed!

Bought the Dirty Harry boxset though, what a bargain! Am tempted by the Lecter trilogy...

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 7th November 2011 10:50 AM

I'm also less than impressed about the Pulp Fiction price reduction, especially as mine is still in its shrinkwrap. So much for limited stocks available or expecting they'd sell out very quickly!

the blob 7th November 2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 195874)
I'm also less than impressed about the Pulp Fiction price reduction, especially as mine is still in its shrinkwrap. So much for limited stocks available or expecting they'd sell out very quickly!

Not too impressive really is it. I think the biggest problem with some of the exclusives is the huge amount of scalpers that then cancel or return the excess pre-orders, probably leaving Play with much more stock than they anticipated.

wayfarer 7th November 2011 11:24 AM

Thanks for pointing these out. I will look at my Play email after all.:)

nekromantik 7th November 2011 11:28 AM

glad i waited ha ha
just ordered the pulp fiction steely!

Refused 7th November 2011 07:01 PM

Ha, my Pulp Fiction hasn't even been opened yet either. Ah well, you win some you lose some.

wayfarer 7th November 2011 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 195883)
glad i waited ha ha
just ordered the pulp fiction steely!

Same here! :clap::decision:

brain dead 7th November 2011 08:58 PM

NIce. Amazon matched the dirty Harry price. Ordered.

nekromantik 8th November 2011 01:59 AM

i just hope it turns up dent free!