Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Trades & Deals (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Blu-ray Bargain Alerts (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/trades-deals/3988-blu-ray-bargain-alerts.html)

tele1962 31st March 2016 06:30 PM

Man With A Movie Camera (MOS):

Man With a Movie Camera and Other Works By Dziga Vertov : Blu-ray | HMV Store

''The greatest documentary ever made'' - Sight & Sound

SYNOPSIS:

Voted one of the ten best films ever made in the Sight & Sound 2012 poll, and the best documentary ever in a subsequent poll in 2014, Man With A Movie Camera (Chelovek's kinoapparatom) stands as one of cinema's most essential documents - a dazzling exploration of the possibilities of image-making as related to the everyday world around us.

The culmination of a decade of experiments to render ''the chaos of visual phenomena filling the universe'', Dziga Vertov's masterwork uses a staggering array of cinematic devices to capture the city at work and at play, as well as the machines that power it.

Presented in a definitive new restoration from EYE Film Institute in Amsterdam and Lobster Films, the film is also presented with other works by Vertov, both before and after his masterpiece - Kino-Eye (1924), Kino-Pravda #21 (1925), Enthusiasm: Symphony of the Donbass (1931) and Three Songs About Lenin (1934) - in this limited-edition 4-Disc Dual-Format edition.

SPECIAL FEATURES including:•Limited-edition 4-Disc Dual-Format
• New high-definition restored transfers of all five films
• Uncompressed PCM audio on all films
• Scores by The Alloy Orchestra for Man With A Movie Camera and Robert Israel for Kino-Eye
• New audio commentary on Man With A Movie Camera by film scholar Adrian Martin
• The Life and Times of Dziga Vertov, an exclusive, lengthy video interview with film scholar Ian Christie on Vertov's career and the films in this set
• 100-page limited edition book featuring the words of Dziga Vertov, archival image
ry and more!

REVIEWS:

''Dziga Vertov's 1929 experimental Soviet propaganda picture is breathtaking in its formal ingenuity.'' - Independent

''...Soviet cinema's avant-garde in its last and most brilliant phase'' - Philip Kemp

''Dziga Vertov's experimental documentary essay remains fascinating after all these years'' - Peter Bradshaw, Guardian

''Cinema in its purest form; movement, sensation, action and visual trickery'' - Time Out

''This is an exuberant manifesto that celebrates the infinite possibilities of what cinema can be'' - Jonathan Romney, Observer

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st March 2016 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 483366)

You seem fair into this Tele. :)

Any reason? Personally it doesn't sound too interesting. Am i missing something?

tele1962 31st March 2016 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 483367)

Any reason? Personally it doesn't sound too interesting. Am i missing something?

I love this sort of stuff Dem. Off the wall documentaries ( Powaquatsi, Samsara, Moonwalk One etc). I love to chill pore a glass of something nice and just escape for a couple of hours with these type of film.:nod:

PS
Baraka is one of my favourite films and watched it many times (although it could do with a new transfer) and one I can highly recommend.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 31st March 2016 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 483367)

Although it's been years since I saw it, it's a film which probably works on two levels. Academically speaking, it is a brilliant exercise in filmmaking, inventing numerous different techniques and styles, from slow motion and freeze-frame to jump cuts to the Kuleshov Effect and possibly the first use of long tracking shots.

On the other hand, it is very watchable and you don't need to be a film scholar or academic to appreciate what is on screen and simply watch it for what it is rather than study it for its historical context.

It's probably on YouTube, so give it a watch and see what you think.

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st March 2016 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 483366)
Man With A Movie Camera (MOS):

Voted one of the ten best films ever made in the Sight & Sound 2012 poll

And we'll stop there. :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 31st March 2016 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 483375)
And we'll stop there. :lol:

Vertigo, 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Searchers are in the top 10 in that poll – do you like any of those?

tele1962 31st March 2016 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 483373)
Although it's been years since I saw it, it's a film which probably works on two levels. Academically speaking, it is a brilliant exercise in filmmaking, inventing numerous different techniques and styles, from slow motion and freeze-frame to jump cuts to the Kuleshov Effect and possibly the first use of long tracking shots.

On the other hand, it is very watchable and you don't need to be a film scholar or academic to appreciate what is on screen and simply watch it for what it is rather than study it for its historical context.

It's probably on YouTube, so give it a watch and see what you think.

Well said Nos.

These films have no real story as such but kind of wash over you.

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st March 2016 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 483376)
Vertigo, 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Searchers are in the top 10 in that poll – do you like any of those?

Two of them are wonderful.

Do you have a link to said poll results?

tele1962 31st March 2016 07:07 PM

I can let any of you guys borrow the likes of Baraka etc if you ever want to try this type of film. :)

J Harker 31st March 2016 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 483378)
Two of them are wonderful.

Do you have a link to said poll results?

Got to know, which two?