Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Trades & Deals (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Blu-ray Bargain Alerts (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/trades-deals/3988-blu-ray-bargain-alerts.html)

pedromonkey 29th March 2011 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 139350)
Pontypool is well worth a fiver on BD. I've already got the DVD so don't think it's worth an upgrade for me but a good price nevertheless.

the PQ on the blu is worth the fiver alone, it's a great disc too.

Behemot 29th March 2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 139350)
Near Dark I got cheap too and to be honest I was so disappointed with the PQ. It annoyed me so much that I turned it off before it ended cos it was distractingly bad in places. Real shame cos it's a great film and deserved better treatment.

I completely agree with this. I also experienced problems with the soundtrack - I frequently noticed that the sound was "choppy" (in lack of a better word) when the music score consisted of long sustained notes - making me suspect it was a conversion from 25fps to 24fps. This completely ruined my viewing experience, as I kept getting distracted by the "choppy" Tangerine Dream score. I compared it with my Region 1 DVD, and it did not have the same problem. Worthless Blu-ray. I have wondered about checking out the Region A Blu-ray, but I don't want to waste my money in case it is the same transfer and audio.

nekromantik 29th March 2011 04:57 PM

damn could have saved £1 if I waited for pontypool ha ha

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 29th March 2011 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Behemot (Post 139380)
I completely agree with this. I also experienced problems with the soundtrack - I frequently noticed that the sound was "choppy" (in lack of a better word) when the music score consisted of long sustained notes - making me suspect it was a conversion from 25fps to 24fps. This completely ruined my viewing experience, as I kept getting distracted by the "choppy" Tangerine Dream score. I compared it with my Region 1 DVD, and it did not have the same problem. Worthless Blu-ray. I have wondered about checking out the Region A Blu-ray, but I don't want to waste my money in case it is the same transfer and audio.

The 'Let's cash in on Twishite' artwork don't help either. :mmph:

antmumford 29th March 2011 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 139527)
The 'Let's cash in on Twishite' artwork don't help either. :mmph:

Lol! Yeah tell me about it.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th March 2011 10:30 AM

Near Dark is one of my favourite vampire movies but also one of the worst Blu-ray sets I own with horrible artwork and variable picture and sound quality. It deserved much better.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 30th March 2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 139618)
Near Dark is one of my favourite vampire movies but also one of the worst Blu-ray sets I own with horrible artwork and variable picture and sound quality. It deserved much better.

This is why I haven't picked it up yet. I too love Near Dark, and hope that one day it receives the decent release it deserves.

Leman 30th March 2011 12:44 PM

I opened up the page with the intention of replacing my old shiny AB DvD but after reading the comments I think Ill just close the page again.

Oh wait My Name is Bruce for £4.93

antmumford 31st March 2011 04:56 PM

Was just having a browse through the Play.com Blu-ray sale and came across this The Decameron (Blu-ray) - Blu-ray at Play.com (UK) for only £5.99. I've never heard of it before, is it any good?

There's also lot's of BFI titles too for only £5.99

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 31st March 2011 05:05 PM

It certainly sounds interesting and, going by the synopsis at the IMDb, should be worth a watch.

However, I'd also like to hear from someone who's seen it to know if it's worth £5.99.