Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Trades & Deals (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Blu-ray Bargain Alerts (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/trades-deals/3988-blu-ray-bargain-alerts.html)

Pete 15th August 2012 01:38 PM

From the BFI's Facebook page: 'Grow your cinema library with our BFI DVD and Blu-ray sale at HMV! Here's a selection of what you can pick up (prices start from £5 in stores and online)'

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...20965298_n.jpg

antmumford 17th August 2012 07:41 AM

All 6 Third Window Blu-rays are only £10 each on their site (DVD's from £5 too):

Third Window Films - Blu-Rays

As a note Memories of Matsuko, Confessions and Kamikaze Girls can be bought cheaper elsewhere but the rest you can save a few quid on.

Justin101 18th August 2012 12:36 PM

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

£10 instore at HMV :) Liverpool branch didn't have many Blu's in the offer though, only others i was interested in were Salo and Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner

Slippery Jack 18th August 2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 266894)
Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner

Currently £8.99 at amazon ;) . . .

Justin101 18th August 2012 12:51 PM

I hope it stays around that price because I'm curbing my spend this month, I spent £250 on media last month... as well as buying myself an iPad so I need to make up for that lol. It's not like my 'to watch' pile isn't massive already.

Paul 18th August 2012 12:57 PM

ASDA is doing two blu's for a tenner.

Delirium 18th August 2012 01:06 PM

FYI, folks, there's loads of those Double Play BFI titles for £9 each at Fopp at the mo. No Black Panther unfortunately, but a nice other bunch (I was in the London West End Branch, but it seems to be a general promotion).

Legend 18th August 2012 01:52 PM

Karate Kid 2010. I enjoyed it, not a great film by any stretch of the imagination but well worth a watch. 98p and free postage.

The Karate Kid (2010) - BLURAY - ShopTo.Net

Delirium 20th August 2012 04:31 PM

The forthcoming Evil Dead Steelbook release is currently only £8.45 to pre-order at Zavvi!

The Evil Dead - Steelbook Edition Blu-ray | Zavvi.com

Rik 20th August 2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 267334)
The forthcoming Evil Dead Steelbook release is currently only £8.45 to pre-order at Zavvi!

I might cancel my order with Sainsburys for a saving of 54p, although Zavvi have been a bit slack with dispatch times recently

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th August 2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 267334)

Are any specs available as I'm particularly interested to know what the aspect ratio is – that is if it doesn't have both the original 1.33:1 and 1.85:1 like the Region A BD.

Stephen@Cult Labs 20th August 2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 267360)
Are any specs available as I'm particularly interested to know what the aspect ratio is – that is if it doesn't have both the original 1.33:1 and 1.85:1 like the Region A BD.

Just the same UK disc as before, 1.85:1

Legend 20th August 2012 10:47 PM

Do HMV prices in store and online often differ? I wonder if it's worth a 10 minute walk to see if my small local has any BFIs for cheap. Online is pretty expensive, and I'm better off going with Amazon.

I'm looking to buy Salo, Medea, Arabian Nights (perhaps Cantebury Tales too if it's very cheap), Red Desert, Playtime and if a couple of others are good price I'd probably splash out for them too.

wayfarer 21st August 2012 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legend (Post 267448)
Do HMV prices in store and online often differ? I wonder if it's worth a 10 minute walk to see if my small local has any BFIs for cheap. Online is pretty expensive, and I'm better off going with Amazon.

I'm looking to buy Salo, Medea, Arabian Nights (perhaps Cantebury Tales too if it's very cheap), Red Desert, Playtime and if a couple of others are good price I'd probably splash out for them too.

The HMV at Oxford Circus were doing the BFIs for about £9-10 if I recall correctly. I'd say that, for a ten minute walk, it's always worth it.

Justin101 21st August 2012 07:05 AM

Just so you're aware, it seems only a handful of films are in the special £10 price bracket, Salo is one of them, but none of the other Pasolini ones are, a few are BFI Flipside ones, and there are a lot of DVDs too, such as the Kurosawa ones.

Hawkmonger 21st August 2012 07:07 AM

Got some Flipside while in Manchester yesterday.

Man of Violance- £10
Permissive- £9
Deep End- £10

:popcorn:

Baseball Fury 21st August 2012 07:37 AM

Pre-ordered the Collectors Edition of Blade Runner from Amazon.ca: Online shopping for Canadians - books, electronics, music, DVDs, software, video games & more last night. $23 CAD reduced from $65 CAD!

http://www.amazon.ca/Blade-Runner-Fi...5534439&sr=1-1

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._AA1500_.jpg

With expedited shipping it works out at $34.99 CAD, which converts to £22.54, and the expedited shipping should include the tax as well.

BARGAIN.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st August 2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 267418)
Just the same UK disc as before, 1.85:1

No sale then. I own the US BD (Special Edition with DVD and standard release) and have enough Steelbooks to be able to live without yet another version of Raimi's classic!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st August 2012 08:58 AM

Excellent spot on the bargain price for the Blade Runner set, Baseball Fury. I've also preordered one, simply for the spinner and artwork book!

Delirium 21st August 2012 10:02 AM

Gone for a Blade Runner myself. Nice one, Baseball Fury!

darthelvis 21st August 2012 10:11 AM

Likewise, great spot Baseball Fury!:clap:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st August 2012 10:59 AM

According to XE.com using the latest exchange rate, it costs £14.80 without postage, so I hope the Canadian dollar stays stable against the pound (or makes it cheaper) until it's released as it will be a bugger if currency fluctuations don't the price up by 25p giving HMRC the chance to charge us all an extra three quid plus the £8 handling fee.

Baseball Fury 21st August 2012 11:23 AM

That's why I went for expedited shipping, as I believe the tax is calculated and included in the price?

Refused 21st August 2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 267504)
That's why I went for expedited shipping, as I believe the tax is calculated and included in the price?

Nope, it's not. You're only paying for the quicker shipping option.

antmumford 21st August 2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 267504)

amazon.ca don't pay for custom duties and tax, they state that it's entirely the customers responsibility

Baseball Fury 21st August 2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 267508)
amazon.ca don't pay for custom duties and tax, they state that it's entirely the customers responsibility

Aah, cock. I thought it was the same as the US one!

Hope the value stays under £15 then!

PaulD 21st August 2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 267498)
According to XE.com using the latest exchange rate, it costs £14.80 without postage, so I hope the Canadian dollar stays stable against the pound (or makes it cheaper) until it's released as it will be a bugger if currency fluctuations don't the price up by 25p giving HMRC the chance to charge us all an extra three quid plus the £8 handling fee.

I always forget this so just to confirm, customs charges apply solely to the value of the good and not the P&P? If so, I'm putting an order in and crossing my fingers until October (will set myself a reminder a week before the release date to check the rates again)

Baseball Fury 21st August 2012 12:25 PM

If I remember correctly, £15 is the limit and only covers the value of the goods, however if you go over that, the VAT charge is calculated against the TOTAL value.

Refused 21st August 2012 12:33 PM

Surely it's only the value of the goods that you get charged for? As that's what is declared on the package.

the blob 21st August 2012 12:37 PM

It's all liable once the £15 is exceeded, postage as well. Hmm.. What to do. I already have the briefcase!

Delirium 21st August 2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 267518)
It's all liable once the £15 is exceeded, postage as well. Hmm.. What to do. I already have the briefcase!

Eh? Postage doesn't count - only the product total. Postage always takes it over £15.

As long as the item itself stays below £15 you'll be fine. As has been said, if that much of a concern, check the exc rate again before release date.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st August 2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 267514)
I always forget this so just to confirm, customs charges apply solely to the value of the good and not the P&P? If so, I'm putting an order in and crossing my fingers until October (will set myself a reminder a week before the release date to check the rates again)

Customs look at the value of the item and, if it's under £15 then there'll be no problems. If it's over £15, they'll charge you a percentage of the total cost (the item and P&P) plus £8 for using a calculator!

wayfarer 21st August 2012 01:13 PM

Does anyone know if this Blade Runner release is Region Free? The last lot was.

Refused 21st August 2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 267522)
Eh? Postage doesn't count - only the product total. Postage always takes it over £15.

As long as the item itself stays below £15 you'll be fine. As has been said, if that much of a concern, check the exc rate again before release date.

Just checked on the HMRC website. If the item's value is over £15 then you're charged import VAT on that AND the postage cost. Plus that stupid £8 fee.
Thieving swines.

Baseball Fury 21st August 2012 01:22 PM

Just to confirm -

ITEM A is declared at £14.50 + £10 postage - no customs charge (as ITEM A under £15)

ITEM B is declared at £16.00 + £10 postage - customs charge is £5.20 (£16 + £10 x 0.2) + the Royal Mail handling fee of £8.

As soon as the value of the contents exceeds £15, VAT is due on all monies paid (ITEM + postage).

Tis a stupid system, but our government came up with it, so of course it's obtuse.

the blob 21st August 2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 267522)

I should have said once £15 for the goods is exceeded. It's the same as the UK. Stores who charge for shipping should apply the VAT after it's been included. You just hardly ever notice it because not many of them provide VAT invoices.

It's why free shipping for cheap goods in the UK is easy as there wouldn't be any point if shipping wasn't VAT liable.

Delirium 21st August 2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refused (Post 267527)
Just checked on the HMRC website. If the item's value is over £15 then you're charged import VAT on that AND the postage cost. Plus that stupid £8 fee.
Thieving swines.

Yeah, I read it as total for product and shipping exceeding £15 results in a VAT charge. But yes, the total charge for VAT on P&P is completely and utterly stupid.

Let's hope it doesn't go over the £15 limit! It's only 20p out, and rates can fluctuate. Mind you C&E set their limits per month, not what XE currently says (and C&E are usually, from experience, just under what XE list).

Fingers crossed.

the blob 21st August 2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 267528)

Tis a stupid system, but our government came up with it, so of course it's obtuse.

Sort of but then it makes perfect sense when applied to the UK, else it would be open to extreme abuse. Basically any item that is VAT liable has to have VAT liability on the shipping too.

The scenario could be

Amazon/ Play etc : Item £5.00 - Shipping £9.99, so they could get away with only paying VAT on the £5

Delirium 21st August 2012 01:38 PM

This is the page you'll wanna be checking for October rates: HM Revenue & Customs

(Case in point, XE says the exchange is currently 1 GBP = 1.55431 CAD, while C&E have it set at 1.5792 for this month.)

Rik 21st August 2012 06:41 PM

Resident Evil 1-4 pre-order for £10.99 at Sainsbury's
https://www.sainsburysentertainment....duct=E11121659