LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st June 2011, 01:58 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
Don't forget the 'R' in RRP stands for 'recommended' (retail price) - it used to be common practice for the likes of HMV, Virgin and Tower Records to hike up the prices of titles that were no longer in a chart. You'd think in the current climate, with stiff competition from the internet, they'd be happy to sell at RRP. For every person that does shell out for the over-inflated price, there'll be three or four people thinking "that's way too much, won't bother checking in their again" - must be detrimental in the grand scheme of things.
I'm not used to seeing the RRP much higher than the price for which the item is being sold it seems utterly bizarre to charge more than both the RRP and the Dealer Listing Price (DLP).

I know people can charge what they want for a given item, but the prices people quote from their visits to an HMV store seem completely preposterous and more fool anyone who pays well over the odds.
Old 21st June 2011, 02:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

If HMV only sold blu rays I imagine they would have gone out of existance a long time ago. I can only imagine they sell music albums etc at reasonable prices to attract its customers. Been a long time since I bought one so have no idea

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti
Old 21st June 2011, 04:42 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I'm not used to seeing the RRP much higher than the price for which the item is being sold it seems utterly bizarre to charge more than both the RRP and the Dealer Listing Price (DLP).

I know people can charge what they want for a given item, but the prices people quote from their visits to an HMV store seem completely preposterous and more fool anyone who pays well over the odds.
There are people who will shell out over the odds to have something there and then. There are of course people with more money than sense too. Like I said before, I think it's detrimental in the long run because a lot of people will think they're taking the mickey and not buy full price back catalogue products from them at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaxaca View Post
If HMV only sold blu rays I imagine they would have gone out of existance a long time ago. I can only imagine they sell music albums etc at reasonable prices to attract its customers. Been a long time since I bought one so have no idea
Apparently music is a small part of their business now - DVD is the driving force and the reason why music sections have shrunk in the stores.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 21st June 2011 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Merged: two posts in as many minutes
Old 21st June 2011, 05:35 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Somewhere no one has ever heard off. Lucky beggars.

To be honest I think they make more from video games than movies or music. I used to work in the industry, and trust me when I say that the mark up on software is HUGE. That's why they can afford to knock 75% off after 12 months and still make a profit. Once a game has recouped it's development costs - and the big titles can do this within a very short time - it's all gravy after that. Downloads and streaming have hit music and movies hard when it comes to physical formats, but games are relatively unaffected in comparison - for now. Over the next few years when it becomes more common for the majority of consumers to just download software that will go the same way as the CD and the DVD.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if you told me that they make more money on the t-shirts and iPod accessories than they do on their DVDs and Blu-rays.
Old 25th June 2011, 10:44 AM
Cultist

Not as much of a bargain as it is just a question, but HMV have Close Encounters of the Third Kind 30th Anniversary listed at £8.49. Other sites have it listed for a similar price but show an image of the standard plastic blu case. Could anyone confirm if the 30th Anniversary is the really cool digipack with cover, pullout and all the trimmings?
oaxaca likes this.
Old 27th June 2011, 10:31 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
Not as much of a bargain as it is just a question, but HMV have Close Encounters of the Third Kind 30th Anniversary listed at £8.49. Other sites have it listed for a similar price but show an image of the standard plastic blu case. Could anyone confirm if the 30th Anniversary is the really cool digipack with cover, pullout and all the trimmings?

I doubt it will be. I ordered CESK cheap just before Christmas and it was the standard case.
Old 27th June 2011, 12:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Bargains for any Clint fans out there -

full Dirty Harry collection for £17-

Dirty Harry Boxset Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, The Enforcer, Sudden Impact, The Dead Pool Blu-ray Region Free: Amazon.co.uk: Film & TV

the directors collection (Gran Torino, Flags, Letters, Mystic River and Unforgiven) £18

Clint Eastwood: The Director's Collection Blu-ray Region Free: Amazon.co.uk: Clint Eastwood, Matt Damon, Kevin Bacon, Marcia Gay Harden, Laura Linney, Hilary Swank, Tim Robins, Morgan Freeman: Film & TV
Old 1st July 2011, 11:45 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

It looks like Axel's $0.99 shipping comes to an end on July 17th, so if anyone is thinking about ordering: I'd do it soon!
Old 1st July 2011, 12:45 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
It looks like Axel's $0.99 shipping comes to an end on July 17th, so if anyone is thinking about ordering: I'd do it soon!
Is the Canadian summer shorter than everywhere else in the northern hemisphere?
Old 1st July 2011, 12:56 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Seems they're originally from Denmark...
Better order my most wanted before July 17th then...

Like this? Share it using the links below!