Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Trades & Deals (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Blu-ray Bargain Alerts (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/trades-deals/3988-blu-ray-bargain-alerts.html)

Sam 26th December 2015 06:37 PM

Some fairly decent stuff on the Zavvi sale including 'Birth of the Living Dead' on blu ray for 2.99

PaulD 30th December 2015 04:45 PM

My local HMV (Newcastle) has Arrows Killer Klowns bluray for 4:99 which is a good deal, cheaper than arrows sale I think. Would have bought it but think the film's awful

J Harker 19th January 2016 09:07 AM

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01...592ee70aa2.jpg
7.99 at Zavvi. Has the soundtrack CD.

gag 30th January 2016 11:07 PM

Under the recent circumstances of Deep red debate i thought i post this.

They have 7 of the ltd edition of 999 blu ray of lizard in a womens skins and only one per costumer

Mondo Macabro €” LIZARD IN A WOMAN'S SKIN - Limited Edition Blu Ray

MuckyFunster 15th February 2016 01:21 PM

Asda have the Scream trilogy Blu Ray set for 8 and it's also part of their 2 for 12 offer!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 25th February 2016 09:08 PM

Zavvi Blu-ray steelbook sale.

Justin101 26th February 2016 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 479340)

Thanks for the link!
Unfortunately of the 2 films on that list I'd like one is too ugly (Dead Poets Society) and the other is still more than a tenner (Whiplash)

Boogie Nights looks like a nice one though, but still, you can get the regular one for less than a fiver really.

tele1962 6th March 2016 06:52 PM

http://www.zavvi.com/elysium.search?...int_GBP_price:

Justin101 8th March 2016 09:54 AM

http://twitter.com/FoppManc/status/707156844352049152

:shocked: dammit I can't get to Manchester at the moment!

monkeypedro 8th March 2016 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 480697)
http://twitter.com/FoppManc/status/707156844352049152

:shocked: dammit I can't get to Manchester at the moment!

Also available from HMV online as part of their 3 for 20 or 5 for 30 offer.

Justin101 8th March 2016 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeypedro (Post 480724)
Also available from HMV online as part of their 3 for 20 or 5 for 30 offer.

Ahh if I buy 5 that works out the same :lol: I was only planning on buying 2 though :D

tele1962 8th March 2016 04:25 PM

Bugger, no Fopp in Newcastle.............no bloody football team either. :critter:

Justin101 8th March 2016 04:53 PM

My friend is in Manchester today going to the Adele concert, so he's going to get Nightmare City and Contamination for me yay

MuckyFunster 8th March 2016 05:21 PM

Top spot! I've got a 20 voucher burning a hole in my pocket. Maybe use it on hmv online to save myself the trip into town.

Madman, eaten alive and contamination - I think...although Milano Calibro 9.....?!

tele1962 8th March 2016 05:58 PM

Contamination is fantastic, your gona love it.:)

J Harker 23rd March 2016 10:03 AM

Sainsburies are doing 2 for 25 on chart blu rays. Includes newest releases. I've got some nectar points racked up so I'm hoping to get Legend and Black Mass for 17.50.

J Harker 28th March 2016 04:11 PM

Asda have had a 2 for 12 on select blus for a while now but i notice today my local store has got a few steelbooks in the offer. Predestination, Robot Overlords and Last Knights were in mine.

AberZombi&Flesh 28th March 2016 05:40 PM

Found some Scream Factory blus in the 5$ bin at my local Walmart.

tele1962 28th March 2016 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AberZombi&Flesh (Post 482896)
Found some Scream Factory blus in the 5$ bin at my local Walmart.

I am guessing your in the US, nice find.:)

J Harker 31st March 2016 07:56 AM

This is down to 16.99 at Zavvi. Seems a good deal to me. Just over 2 a film.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...376b869bf7.jpg
http://m.zavvi.com/blu-ray/the-clint.../10965212.html

tele1962 31st March 2016 06:30 PM

Man With A Movie Camera (MOS):

Man With a Movie Camera and Other Works By Dziga Vertov : Blu-ray | HMV Store

''The greatest documentary ever made'' - Sight & Sound

SYNOPSIS:

Voted one of the ten best films ever made in the Sight & Sound 2012 poll, and the best documentary ever in a subsequent poll in 2014, Man With A Movie Camera (Chelovek's kinoapparatom) stands as one of cinema's most essential documents - a dazzling exploration of the possibilities of image-making as related to the everyday world around us.

The culmination of a decade of experiments to render ''the chaos of visual phenomena filling the universe'', Dziga Vertov's masterwork uses a staggering array of cinematic devices to capture the city at work and at play, as well as the machines that power it.

Presented in a definitive new restoration from EYE Film Institute in Amsterdam and Lobster Films, the film is also presented with other works by Vertov, both before and after his masterpiece - Kino-Eye (1924), Kino-Pravda #21 (1925), Enthusiasm: Symphony of the Donbass (1931) and Three Songs About Lenin (1934) - in this limited-edition 4-Disc Dual-Format edition.

SPECIAL FEATURES including:•Limited-edition 4-Disc Dual-Format
• New high-definition restored transfers of all five films
• Uncompressed PCM audio on all films
• Scores by The Alloy Orchestra for Man With A Movie Camera and Robert Israel for Kino-Eye
• New audio commentary on Man With A Movie Camera by film scholar Adrian Martin
• The Life and Times of Dziga Vertov, an exclusive, lengthy video interview with film scholar Ian Christie on Vertov's career and the films in this set
• 100-page limited edition book featuring the words of Dziga Vertov, archival image
ry and more!

REVIEWS:

''Dziga Vertov's 1929 experimental Soviet propaganda picture is breathtaking in its formal ingenuity.'' - Independent

''...Soviet cinema's avant-garde in its last and most brilliant phase'' - Philip Kemp

''Dziga Vertov's experimental documentary essay remains fascinating after all these years'' - Peter Bradshaw, Guardian

''Cinema in its purest form; movement, sensation, action and visual trickery'' - Time Out

''This is an exuberant manifesto that celebrates the infinite possibilities of what cinema can be'' - Jonathan Romney, Observer

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st March 2016 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 483366)

You seem fair into this Tele. :)

Any reason? Personally it doesn't sound too interesting. Am i missing something?

tele1962 31st March 2016 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 483367)
You seem fair into this Tele. :)

Any reason? Personally it doesn't sound too interesting. Am i missing something?

I love this sort of stuff Dem. Off the wall documentaries ( Powaquatsi, Samsara, Moonwalk One etc). I love to chill pore a glass of something nice and just escape for a couple of hours with these type of film.:nod:

PS
Baraka is one of my favourite films and watched it many times (although it could do with a new transfer) and one I can highly recommend.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 31st March 2016 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 483367)
You seem fair into this Tele. :)

Any reason? Personally it doesn't sound too interesting. Am i missing something?

Although it's been years since I saw it, it's a film which probably works on two levels. Academically speaking, it is a brilliant exercise in filmmaking, inventing numerous different techniques and styles, from slow motion and freeze-frame to jump cuts to the Kuleshov Effect and possibly the first use of long tracking shots.

On the other hand, it is very watchable and you don't need to be a film scholar or academic to appreciate what is on screen and simply watch it for what it is rather than study it for its historical context.

It's probably on YouTube, so give it a watch and see what you think.

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st March 2016 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 483366)
Man With A Movie Camera (MOS):


Voted one of the ten best films ever made in the Sight & Sound 2012 poll

And we'll stop there. :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 31st March 2016 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 483375)
And we'll stop there. :lol:

Vertigo, 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Searchers are in the top 10 in that poll – do you like any of those?

tele1962 31st March 2016 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 483373)
Although it's been years since I saw it, it's a film which probably works on two levels. Academically speaking, it is a brilliant exercise in filmmaking, inventing numerous different techniques and styles, from slow motion and freeze-frame to jump cuts to the Kuleshov Effect and possibly the first use of long tracking shots.

On the other hand, it is very watchable and you don't need to be a film scholar or academic to appreciate what is on screen and simply watch it for what it is rather than study it for its historical context.

It's probably on YouTube, so give it a watch and see what you think.

Well said Nos.

These films have no real story as such but kind of wash over you.

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st March 2016 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 483376)
Vertigo, 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Searchers are in the top 10 in that poll do you like any of those?

Two of them are wonderful.

Do you have a link to said poll results?

tele1962 31st March 2016 07:07 PM

I can let any of you guys borrow the likes of Baraka etc if you ever want to try this type of film. :)

J Harker 31st March 2016 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 483378)
Two of them are wonderful.

Do you have a link to said poll results?

Got to know, which two?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 31st March 2016 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 483377)
Well said Nos.

These films have no real story as such but kind of wash over you.

As you mentioned above, I also really like the Mark Magidson/Ron Fricke/Godfrey Reggio films such as Chronos, Koyaanisqatsi, Powaqqatsi, Samsara and Baracka I haven't seen Naqoyqatsi, but really want to.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 31st March 2016 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 483378)
Two of them are wonderful.

Do you have a link to said poll results?

The top 50 Greatest Films of All Time | Sight & Sound | BFI

tele1962 31st March 2016 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 483385)
As you mentioned above, I also really like the Mark Magidson/Ron Fricke/Godfrey Reggio films such as Chronos, Koyaanisqatsi, Powaqqatsi, Samsara and Baracka – I haven't seen Naqoyqatsi, but really want to.

Chronos is good Naqoyqatsi is ok from what I remember. But it's good to have a fellow fan on board Nos. :woot:

A few years ago, there was an AV event in NY attended by the greatest in the field and also the leading manufacturers (Sony, LG, Samsung, Panasonic), I recommended Samsara and they used it for Demo material ( I believe the shootout is still available on Youtube).

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st March 2016 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 483383)
Got to know, which two?

Let's put it like this. I have never been able to watch more than about 40 mins of 2001 before deciding i could take the dog a walk or clean the bathroom or watch paint dry.

tele1962 31st March 2016 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 483394)
Let's put it like this. I have never been able to watch more than about 40 mins of 2001 before deciding i could take the dog a walk or clean the bathroom or watch paint dry.

Might not be for you then Dem. :lol:

J Harker 31st March 2016 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 483394)
Let's put it like this. I have never been able to watch more than about 40 mins of 2001 before deciding i could take the dog a walk or clean the bathroom or watch paint dry.

And there was me expecting you to say The Searchers was an overrated pile of arse.

Stephen@Cult Labs 31st March 2016 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 483408)
And there was me expecting you to say The Searchers was an overrated pile of arse.


Isn't that every film he watches? [emoji23][emoji39] (just kidding, Demdike). The Searchers is a bona fide classic.

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st March 2016 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 483418)
Isn't that every film he watches? [emoji23][emoji39] (just kidding, Demdike). The Searchers is a bona fide classic.

It certainly is. One of my all time favourites.

J Harker 31st March 2016 10:39 PM

Terrible film. 😞

J Harker 3rd April 2016 08:25 AM

Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection is only 23.99 at Zavvi.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...1b68ce5f17.jpg


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.