Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Trades & Deals (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Blu-ray Bargain Alerts (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/trades-deals/3988-blu-ray-bargain-alerts.html)

wayfarer 24th August 2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 176417)
You're so lucky having access to a FOPP, especially that store. I found loads of goodies when I visited London the other week but had no money to spend at the time. I think I'll be heading back up to london in a week or two so hopefully some Blu-ray bargains are still to be had then.

I hope you're lucky when you visit:)

Sam 24th August 2011 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayfarer (Post 176397)
...just had a right result in the London Shaftesbury Ave FOPP. Went in to get them to remove a security tag from my sealed copy of Fido (i have this habit of buying a film, leaving it sealed on the shelf for years and then decide to watch it) and came away with this little lot;

All £3 Blus

District 13
D13: Ultimatum
A Perfect Getaway
44 inch chest (sadly not a Russ Meyer type movie:lol: )
Defiance
Brooklyn's Finest
Planet Terror
Death Proof

I have Grindhouse but the films haven't got True HD sound or the "extended" versions.

Looks like they've got the same stuff as in Manchester. I'm having to battle against the lure of buying stuff just because it's £3 :lol:. I might pop back in for Youth in Revolt though...

PaulD 24th August 2011 04:24 PM

So jealous! Would love a Fopp in Newcastle

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th August 2011 06:03 PM

It's really sad that the days of small retail chains have almost gone and, in most towns, it's HMV or nothing.

Either that happened because of the Internet or because of the bigger, more powerful chains. I'll probably go with the former as Zavvi (previously Virgin) used to have high Street stores but are now, with few exceptions, Internet only.

Face it, when did you last find an in-store bargain which was better than anything on the Internet?

PaulD 24th August 2011 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 176540)
It's really sad that the days of small retail chains have almost gone and, in most towns, it's HMV or nothing.

Either that happened because of the Internet or because of the bigger, more powerful chains. I'll probably go with the former as Zavvi (previously Virgin) used to have high Street stores but are now, with few exceptions, Internet only.

Face it, when did you last find an in-store bargain which was better than anything on the Internet?

That is true. While I acknowledge that high street stores have higher overheads it does seem that they charge a ridiculously higher price for their goods (and surely if it's cheaper for them to trade online some of the online saving could be transferred to the high street?).

That said, I did see the limited Dr Manhattan bluray of Watchmen in HMV tofay for £10 which I can't find online although I suspect that's down to it being an HMV exclusive release anyway. Still, that's a pretty good bargain

stefanmetal 25th August 2011 01:05 AM

Used to be a really good independent shop locally to me that sold a great random selection of CDs and DVDs. It was called Spin, but it shut down like the rest.

Paul@TheOverlook 25th August 2011 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 176540)

Zavvi went bust. The Hut bought just the name as it was a recognizable brand online. Same thing happened with Woolworths...

The Internet has had a massive impact on high street stores such as HMV but it's the supermarkets which have done the most damage.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th August 2011 08:13 AM

The last time I went, there was a Zavvi shop at the Royal Quays outlet store in North Shields, but the prices weren't particularly competitive when I thought about how much the same things would cost on the Zavvi website.

dream demon 25th August 2011 02:39 PM

The problem with the Zavvi website, though, is that yes I have found some bargains, but most of the time I never get them. I just give up waiting when I still haven't received anything a month after ordering and cancel them.

Sam 25th August 2011 04:39 PM

Even Fopp is owned by HMV (they bought them out a few years ago) so there really is little option on the High Street. I can only imagine they're still allowed a certain level of independence since the prices didn't seem to be affected by the takeover :confused:.

'That's Entertainment' and CEX are OK for second hand bargains but for brand new DVDs, it's pretty much HMV or nowt (unless you count the Supermarkets).