Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > The Twilight Zone: Official UK Forum > The Original 1960s Show > Twilight Zone (1960's) Season Five In Depth Episode Guide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2012, 07:26 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Season 5, Episode 3: Nightmare At 20,000 Feet

Season 5, Episode 3: Nightmare At 20,000 Feet

Airdate: 04/10/1963
Writer: Richard Matheson
Director: Richard Donner
Starring: William Shatner

A man, newly recovered from a nervous breakdown, becomes convinced that a monster only he sees is damaging the plane he's flying in.

Post your thoughts, reviews and comments about the episode and/or BD & DVD release for Nightmare At 20,000 Feet here!
Old 2nd January 2012, 08:11 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Pure class. Legendary for a reason.

A wonderful story.
Old 2nd January 2012, 08:14 PM
Active Cultist

Can't wait for this one. I've seen the remade segment with John Lithgow in the film version and thought that was very good.
Old 17th February 2012, 05:58 PM
Twilight Zone Co-ordinator

What's left to say about this one that hasn't already been said? It's one of those stories that's become so iconic that it feels like it's existed for all time; the story of the man who saw "something....onthewing".

I guess what sticks out for me this time is that though the gremlin costume isn't exactly the best, it's the performance that sells it, and makes it perfectly acceptable.

Truly deserves its classic status.
Old 17th February 2012, 08:49 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Oooooo, alright then. Question for eveyone. The tv episode with William Shatner, or movie version with John Lithgow? as if it really needs to be asked. The tv episode is so much better imo. What say all of you? Although, the gremlin in Twilight Zone: The Movie wins hands down.
Old 18th February 2012, 07:34 PM
Twilight Zone Co-ordinator

I like them both, but I agree I'd go with the original. I'm not sure whether it was Richard Matheson interview I read, or maybe Joe Dante, where they said the problem with the Lithgow version is he starts off almost manic anyway, so he's got nowhere else to go, whereas Shatner is agitated but still starts off pretty low, so he can build up his distress level.
Old 18th February 2012, 09:38 PM
Active Cultist

Really like the episode but I do think the gremlin really does let it down, shame really as most of the make ups for the series and for the time were pretty good but I can't say that about this one, looks so silly, agree with Matheson. Still a great episode though.

Like this? Share it using the links below!