Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > The Twilight Zone: Official UK Forum > The Original 1960s Show > Twilight Zone (1960s) Season One In-Depth Episode Guide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th March 2011, 02:24 PM
Twilight Zone Co-ordinator

Default Season 1, Episode 1: Where is Everybody?

Season 1, Episode 1: Where is Everybody?

Airdate: 02/10/59
Writer: Rod Serling
Director: Robert Stevens
Starring: Earl Holliman, James Gregory

Mike Ferris, a man in an airforce jumpsuit finds himself in a deserted town. As he searches the town for people, the feeling that he's being watched grows, as does his anxiety. Can Ferris uncover the mystery before he descends into madness?

Post your thoughts, reviews and comments about the episode and/or the BD & DVD release for Where is Everybody? here!
Old 11th March 2011, 02:27 PM

Just so eveyone doesn't think I've gone nuts and started a thread posting frenzy this is something that Almar is behind and I'm just helping out with, so you'll see a thread like this for every episode in season 1 over the next day or two, so please post away!
Old 11th March 2011, 07:23 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I think what you're doing is fantastic mate!

This is a series which deserves this sort of attention!

Also,if anyone thinks that a certain episode influenced a particular film,then let us know your opinions!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Last edited by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs; 11th March 2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11th March 2011, 08:01 PM

Thank you sir! Look forward to these coming out so the discussion can really get going.
Old 11th March 2011, 10:07 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

First saw this one Saturday night on BBC2 back in about 1982-1983 with video recorder poised. I was determined to tape the entire series after enjoying the full run of The Outer Limits a couple of years previously.

To be honest, I was a bit disappointed with the pilot episode. Not a lot happened. There were no intriguing creatures, no threats to humanity, just a strange mystery that played out over the course of 20 minutes and resolved itself rather quickly.

It could only get better. And of course, it did!
Old 12th March 2011, 10:37 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGGPodcast View Post
Just so eveyone doesn't think I've gone nuts and started a thread posting frenzy this is something that Almar is behind and I'm just helping out with, so you'll see a thread like this for every episode in season 1 over the next day or two, so please post away!
Great stuff. I'll be posting my thoughts on some season 1 epiodes, just as soon as I get around to watching them, which will be very soon.
Old 13th March 2011, 01:44 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Well it was an ok start to the series. Like Bigandya says, not a lot happened. It wasn't terrible by any means. As usual though, I was completely wrong with what I thought was going on. And of course, it was made on the Universal lot where Back To The Future's Hill Valley town square was filmed. I didn't actually notice the town square at first, it was the doorway into the mannequin store that I recognized as the doorway that old Biff was hiding in when Doc threw the sports almanac into the trashcan.
Old 14th March 2011, 04:05 PM

Definately a show finding it's feet I think. I like the build up; the escalation of the situation, but yes, the resolution is lacking that element of the unknown that was often typical of The Twilight Zone.
Old 15th March 2011, 01:33 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Just watched the first episode this morning and really enjoyed it! The fact that nothing really happens until the end just added to the whole creepiness of the episode. Nice not-so-subtle nod on the bookshelf too.
Old 15th March 2011, 08:19 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I watched this last night and thought it was very good. It's a fascinating idea to be the only man in a town/city/shopping mall but, just as George A. Romero did with Dawn of the Dead nearly 20 years later, such freedom can become maddening, creating a prison of its own.

Also, the ending perfectly suited the subject as, if you had been on your own without any human contact for over four weeks, your imagination would start running wild. Considering this was several years before the Apollo missions began, I thought it was quite forwardthinking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!