Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Twilight Zone (1960s) Season One In-Depth Episode Guide (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Season 1, Episode 3: Mr Denton on Doomsday (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/twilight-zone-1960s-season-one-depth-episode-guide/4914-season-1-episode-3-mr-denton-doomsday.html)

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 11th March 2011 01:31 PM

Season 1, Episode 3: Mr Denton on Doomsday

Season 1, Episode 3: Mr Denton on Doomsday

Airdate: 16/10/59
Writer: Rod Serling
Director: Allen Reisner
Starring: Dan Duryea, Martin Landau

A washed up alcoholic gunslinger, Al Denton, spends his days drunk, the object of ridicule for the local bullies. When a mysterious stranger comes to town, Al Denton may just get the second chance he needs.

Post your thoughts, reviews and comments about the episode and/or BD & DVD release for Mr Denton on Doomsday here!

Stephen@Cult Labs 14th March 2011 06:48 PM

Another one I watched at the weekend. My god, Martin Landau knows how to play someone you just pray will recieve his comeuppance! It was also nice to see a young Doug Mclure feature in the episode too.

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 15th March 2011 09:22 PM

I love Dan Duyea in this, such a great performance as an alcoholic; not over the top at all. And Serling's writing treats the subject with sensitivity.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th March 2011 07:51 PM

Yeah,Doug McClure hadn't even started shaving yet!:happy:

Landau,a reliable baddie as always.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th April 2011 04:25 PM

This clearly feels like a plea for sanity in the age of atomic annihilation but, putting the obvious metaphor to one side, it is an interesting and involving Western with fantastic performances by Martin Landau and Doug McClure.

Stephen@Cult Labs 5th April 2011 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 140895)
This clearly feels like a plea for sanity in the age of atomic annihilation but, putting the obvious metaphor to one side

That's exactly the same thing I was thinking while I was watching it. :blush:

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 6th April 2011 08:36 AM

Man, I have to admit that passed me by, but that makes total sense. Nice :)

Yikes! 3rd May 2011 08:42 PM

I'd never seen this one before, but knew I'd like it when I saw it was a western with Martin Landau and Dan Duryea. Duryea's in one of my favourite westerns, Winchester '73 and lots of other good stuff too.

So, we have Duryea and Landau in a perfectly crafted little Twilight Western.

And just when you think it can't get any better... Trampas shows up :clap:

scully1888 31st July 2011 10:55 AM

It took me a while to get into this on but I love how it ends. Martin Landau is the definition of pathetic when he's singing How Dry I Am.