Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > The Twilight Zone: Official UK Forum > The Original 1960s Show > Twilight Zone (1960s) Season One In-Depth Episode Guide

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bringer Of Funerals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th March 2011, 02:38 PM
Twilight Zone Co-ordinator

Default Season 1, Episode 8: Time Enough at Last

Season 1, Episode 8: Time Enough at Last

Airdate: 20/11/59
Writer: Rod Serling (Based on a short story by Lynn Venable)
Director: John Brahm
Starring: Burgess Meredith

Henry Bemis life is a constant battle to find time, time enough to indulge his passion for the printed page. A nuclear explosion that leaves him as the last man alive might be the thing that gives him all the time he needs.

Post your thoughts, reviews and comments about the episode and/or BD & DVD release for Time Enough at Last here!
Old 11th March 2011, 02:47 PM
Twilight Zone Co-ordinator

Perhaps a little self promotion, but moreso because I think people might be interested, I read the original short story Time Enough at Last HERE.
Old 11th March 2011, 07:24 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

A classic episode indeed and a twist and a half for the uninitiated!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 12th March 2011, 10:43 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I finally managed to see the end of the episode the the other night. A great performance by Meredith as the put upon bookworm and the twist at the end, well I didn't actually see that coming! I guess I don't think too much when I'm watching something, I just like to watch and (hopefully) be surprised. Which I was with this one.
Old 18th March 2011, 09:08 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yeah,I skipped episode 7 (Which I'll watch tonight) to get to this one.

Meredith gives a very sympathetic performance as the bookworm who is targeted for his love of literature.
As Stephen said,the ending is a blow whilst being heartbreaking at the same time.
A classic.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 21st March 2011, 01:08 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Time Enough at Last is one of the classic Twilight Zone episodes as it has a sympathetic protagonist in a horrible situation and then, when things can't get any worse, they do only for him to realise that it may be a blessing in disguise. However, things will never be perfect... in the twilight zone!

I knew how this episode was going to finish even before I saw it the first time several years ago because of a parody in The Simpsons when a man outside the library bends down to get something only for his glasses to fall off and break but, when he says something along the lines of "Well, at least I can read it without my glasses", his eyes fall out and shatter on the floor!

This is another of the episodes that show how popular entertainment was affected by the fear of mutually assured destruction and what it might be like in a post-nuclear holocaust world.
Old 24th August 2011, 09:28 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Re-visited this episode recently and it's easily one of my favourites. It's just so unbelievably pessimisting and down-beat. It's brilliant! Totally agree with Nos regarding the 1950's anxieties of atomic anihilation too - it's pretty damn obvious here.
Old 25th September 2011, 07:35 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Such a sad episode with a brilliant twist at the end. Meredith's such a convincing character in this episode too. The whole 'nuclear anxiety' aspect as previously mentioned here is also very interesting and a real sign of the times
Old 7th August 2012, 06:06 PM
Cult Acolyte

I felt really sorry for him at the end - especially having to put up with his wife being an evil bitch. Can you imagine men putting up with that now. I watched this 1 last night.

But with my feelings being so strong towards him just shows how good of an actor he was to potray that
PaulD likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!