Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Twilight Zone (1960s) Season One In-Depth Episode Guide (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Season 1, Episode 14: Third From the Sun (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/twilight-zone-1960s-season-one-depth-episode-guide/4938-season-1-episode-14-third-sun.html)

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 12th March 2011 11:23 AM

Season 1, Episode 14: Third From the Sun

Season 1, Episode 14: Third From the Sun

Airdate: 08/01/60
Writer: Rod Serling (Based on a story by Richard Matheson)
Director: Richard L. Bare
Starring: Fritz Weaver, Edward Andrews, Joe Maross

With the world on the brink of war and probable destruction, two government employees plan to steal a spaceship and travel to another planet. To do it they must first escape the watchful gaze of Carling, a government stooge who may be onto them.

Post your thoughts, reviews and comments about the episode and/or BD & DVD release for Third From the Sun here!

Stephen@Cult Labs 20th March 2011 05:28 PM

Tbh, apart from the usual good performance from Fritz weaver, I initially didn't think much of the episode. I found it pretty slow. For me, the twist at the end is what saved it.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st March 2011 12:59 PM

I feel pretty much the same as you, Stephen -- it certainly isn't the best of the first two discs and it did drag a little at times but the ending is a good one and you really get a sense of how all pervasive the fear of nuclear annihilation was in 1959-60.

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 21st March 2011 01:30 PM

I like this episode quite a lot. The twist actually caught me off guard when I watched it on the previous DVD release a few years back.

I think it's the character of Carling that makes it for me; the kind of character who's saying all the right things, but is also telling you that he's onto you without actually saying it - great performance.

It's also good to look back after you know what the twist is at some of the details they used to make it subtly different from Earth, but not enought to give the game away. For example the freaky music the daughter was listening to; very alien.

The short story on which it's based by Richard Matheson is a very straight forward affair. Carling doesn't exist in it, so the family literally get up, meet the other party, go to the base, get on the ship and go. It's all about the twist, and there's really nothing else to it.

The Collector's Room 22nd April 2011 09:49 AM

I just re-watched this episode yesterday and I still love it.

"Don't paint the sun!" is such a great line and the delivery is ace.

Bibliomike 13th July 2011 05:49 PM

I'm afraid I have to agree with Brode on this one. It must have been mind-blowing at the time, but all the creative aspects aside (the camera angles, the "futuristic" props, that music...!), it just doesn't work for me. I did like Tom's take on the podcast, though, that, depending on when in Earth's history the families arrive, they may be in for a rude awakening!

kevin 20th July 2011 11:36 AM

twist

the twist at the end is sublime. as the other commenter wrote - this must have been mindblowing at the time. ace!