Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > The Twilight Zone: Official UK Forum > The Original 1960s Show > Twilight Zone (1960s) Season One In-Depth Episode Guide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th April 2011, 08:45 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post
Now watched this.Very good for anyone who HASN'T seen a Herk Hervey classic.....
for everyone who has, or is familiar with The Outer Limits/Twilight Zone story arcs, it's just a case of waiting for the main character to figure out what's going on!
Old 15th July 2011, 08:22 PM
Cult Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Bibliomike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post
When did the tune we all know and love start being used-season 2?
I have to say... watching all these first-year shows in a row, I've really become rather fond of the Bernard Hermann theme! I think I will kind of miss it when the more familiar Marius Constant music makes its debut.
Old 15th July 2011, 08:36 PM
Cult Rookie

A first rate episode, although I think Serling should have relied less on the internal monologue/voiceover. Too much of a holdover from the radio play. I'm not sure how it could've been done differently, but surely a writer of Serling's calibre could have figured out how. But, as you mention, Tom, fantastic performances by all the actors involved. Even knowing the story, even having head the radio play, the episode remains really riveting.

I also liked how the opening lines of the episode "give away" the ending in plain sight -- "You're on the side of the angels," etc. I don't recall any of that in the radio play, another reason I think Serling could have done more with the source script then he actually did.

I disagree with your interpretation of the last line, though, Tom. I didn't hear any hint of malice in it. I thought he actually was acknowledging, even a little humorously, that Nan now understood the truth.

(Nice editing job on the "side-by-side" comparison of the phone call sequence -- thanks for going the extra mile to make that happen!)
Old 20th July 2011, 11:35 AM
Cult Rookie

Default excellent episode

I thought that this was an excellent episode and it was I think the very first episode to feature a woman as the main star. It's really interesting to see a woman as the main character as clearly back in the 50s and 60s it wasn't so common to see this. I thought that the actress was very strong indeed.

just how important do you think it was for women to be getting these sort of roles back in the 50s and 60s? I remember reading that the original incarnation of Star Trek would have had Majel Barratt as the second in command but after the pilot viewers thought a woman should be so high ranking and the role was changed to Spock. this sort of prejudice doesn't seem to have been so commonplace on the twilight zone, why might that be?

I'm looking forward to more episodes with women in the lead roles.
Old 20th July 2011, 01:47 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I thought that this was an excellent episode and it was I think the very first episode to feature a woman as the main star.
Maybe I'm wrong, but hadn't "The 16mm Shrine" already been broadcast at this point? All the same, I agree with your point: it is good to see a woman at the center, and this actress does an especially fine job.

Quote:
just how important do you think it was for women to be getting these sort of roles back in the 50s and 60s? I remember reading that the original incarnation of Star Trek would have had Majel Barratt as the second in command but after the pilot viewers thought a woman should be so high ranking and the role was changed to Spock. this sort of prejudice doesn't seem to have been so commonplace on the twilight zone, why might that be?
Interesting question, espeially since "The Cage" (the original Trek pilot that you reference) is still 4-5 years in the future at this point. I'm also a big, unrepentant Trekkie <g>, and have always contended that Majel Barrett probably did her best Trek work -- even including her years as Lwaxan Troi -- as "Number One." I do wish that character had been allowed to stay!
Old 20th July 2011, 01:52 PM
Cult Rookie

Default correct

crumbs chief you're right! Barbara Jean Trenton was in the 16mm shrine. that was a good episode as well! great spot.

Barrett was great a troi but I must say I have a liking for her as nurse chapel and her love interest in spock!
Old 20th July 2011, 02:18 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Barrett was great a troi but I must say I have a liking for her as nurse chapel and her love interest in spock!
Well, Nurse Chapel was so defined by her unrequited love for Spock -- which was itself a result of her doomed relationship with Roger Korby. She was simply never defined apart from men. Lwaxana Troi certainly was, but, for whatever reason, the character just never did it for me.

But I digress! Back to the Twilight Zone! :-)

Like this? Share it using the links below!