Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Twilight Zone (1960s) Season One In-Depth Episode Guide (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Season 1, Episode 16: The Hitch-Hiker (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/twilight-zone-1960s-season-one-depth-episode-guide/4940-season-1-episode-16-hitch-hiker.html)

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 12th March 2011 11:24 AM

Season 1, Episode 16: The Hitch-Hiker

Season 1, Episode 16: The Hitch-Hiker

Airdate: 22/01/60
Writer: Rod Serling (Based on a story by Lucille Fletcher)
Director: Alvin Ganzer
Starring: Inger Stevens, Adam Williams, Leonard Strong

Nan Adams sets out on a journey driving cross country. As her journey progresses, she keeps passing the same hitch-hiker at the side of the road. Panic sets in as she desperately tries to outrun the mysterious hitch-hiker.

Post your thoughts, reviews and comments about the episode and/or BD & DVD release for The Hitch-Hiker here!

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 12th March 2011 11:54 AM

Just in case anyone wants to check it out, The Hitch-Hiker was actually a radio play that was performed at least three times before it reached television. All three times Orson Welles played the lead.

If you want to download one of those adaptations and listen to it (perfectly legitimate, it's public domain now) you can check it out HERE.

I have a fondness for old radio shows, and this epsiode is pretty good.

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 26th March 2011 12:22 PM

I watched this last night. Interesting having listened to the radio play how you can really see its roots when you watch the episode; the way the lead talks to herself through a lot of the running time.

In the play the lead character was a man (obviously, as he was played by Orson Welles). It's interesting that now the lead is a woman, Serling created the situation with the sailor, and there's a very obvious sexual threat there, until he starts to think she's nuts and leaves.

Good episode, but I think I actually prefer the radio play. Orson Welles' performance is hard to top I think.

Stephen@Cult Labs 1st April 2011 04:47 PM

I was actually expecting it to be like a 60's version of The Hitcher with Rutger Hauer. A pretty solid episode though. And as you say TGG, there was a pretty intense sexual threat there with the sailor.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th April 2011 03:31 PM

I've seen enough Twilight Zone and other such sci-fi/supernatural TV shows and films so that such an episode didn't surprise me at all. I don't know if the hitchhiker's identity was supposed to be a major twist, but I was ahead of the game the whole way and wasn't at all surprised by the ending. Top performance by Inger Stephens in the main role though.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 5th April 2011 06:04 PM

I'm due to watch this one soon.:nod:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th April 2011 06:24 PM

I should finish the first series in the next couple weeks as I'm switching between this and Prisoner but, at the moment, I'm watching the fourth season of Battlestar Galactica!

Anyway, hope you enjoy this episode and any others you watch tonight and this week.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 5th April 2011 06:46 PM

I'm sure I will Nos!

When did the tune we all know and love start being used-season 2?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th April 2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 140928)
I'm sure I will Nos!

When did the tune we all know and love start being used-season 2?

As far as I know, it began at the beginning of season two, but don't quote me on that!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 7th April 2011 08:41 PM

Now watched this.Very good for anyone who HASN'T seen a Herk Hervey classic.....;)