Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > The Twilight Zone: Official UK Forum > The Original 1960s Show > Twilight Zone (1960s) Season One In-Depth Episode Guide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th March 2011, 11:30 AM
Twilight Zone Co-ordinator

Default Season 1, Episode 22: The Monsters are Due on Maple Street

Season 1, Episode 22: The Monsters are Due on Maple Street

Airdate: 04/03/60
Writer: Rod Serling
Director: Ron Winston
Starring: Claude Atkins, Barry Atwater

Following a power cut on an average street in America, the neighbours begin to hypothesise on the cause. Gradually the residents’paranoia builds to fever pitch.

Post your thoughts, reviews and comments about the episode and/or BD & DVD release for The Monsters are Due on Maple Street here!
Old 17th March 2011, 08:25 AM
Twilight Zone Co-ordinator

The first ep I saw in HD, and as with a lot of Twilight Zones with a message, it still is as relevant now as it was when it was written.

I think the only hill it has to climb really was when the young boy starts talking about Aliens in his comics and so on as a catalyst for the whole situation. Perhaps slightly hard to swallow that they'd really take any notice of that, but I guess they don't at first.

Anyway, a minor detail in what's a great, and slightly depressing episode when you think how true it is, episode. Truly deserving of its classic status and Serling's closing narration is one of his less cryptic ones, a firm and direct message.

I'm curious to see the 80's version, I might check that out soon.
Old 29th March 2011, 08:07 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've skipped a few episodes to watch this one.A classic example of paranoia and the threat of Communism in the eary '60's in the USA.
The threat of Alien invasion relates to the threat of infiltration from the USSR.

A classic installment!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 5th April 2011, 03:34 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The first time I saw this, I was really taken aback by the way it finished but, on repeated viewings, it says so much about the US in 1959 and what it must have been like to live under the threat of MAD. Surprisingly tense and well performed with some excellent writing and direction.
Old 7th April 2011, 08:41 PM
Cult Rookie

Default The Monsters are due on Maple Street

Serlings message is loud and clear "prejudice can't be confined to the Twilight Zone".....chilling
Old 7th April 2011, 08:43 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

It was chilling.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 7th April 2011, 08:45 PM
Cult Rookie

Default Wicker Man

Summerisle smiles on you i see lol
Old 7th April 2011, 08:47 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauronbaggins View Post
Serlings message is loud and clear "prejudice can't be confined to the Twilight Zone".....chilling
There probably was an element of 'in order to defeat those pesky Russians, we must band together when things become difficult rather than turn on each other'. It's a shame no one told that to Sen Joseph McCarthy!
Old 22nd April 2011, 09:47 AM
Cultist

Although I know it will never happen, I would love to see Spielberg's take on this episode.

Fan of The Twilight Zone? Then check out The Collector's Room - a sci-fi series in true Twilight Zone fashion.
Old 15th May 2011, 05:41 PM
Cult Rookie

This is one of the episodes that doesn't date: a savage indictment of mob mentality. I love how the hysteria escalates so rapidly and how quickly people can turn on friends and neighbours that they've known for years until violence ensues. What's even more remarkable is that was shown only a few years after Joseph McCarthy destroyed careers and lives in a similar way.
That's frightening

Like this? Share it using the links below!