Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > The Twilight Zone: Official UK Forum > The UK DVD and Blu-ray Releases > The Twilight Zone: Season Two DVD and BD Debate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th June 2011, 11:33 AM
Twilight Zone Co-ordinator

Default Season 2 BD - The Technical Debate

What are your thoughts on the BD transfer for The Twilight Zone season 2? How about the re-mastered soundtrack as compared to the originals (also included on the release). And what about those controversial episodes shot on video tape? Let us know your thoughts here...

Last edited by TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs; 9th June 2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 6th June 2011, 11:41 AM

This seems to be a good place to answere this question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Collector's Room View Post
Has anyone seen any clips for it yet? I'd be really interested to see how episodes like Twenty Two turn out considering how they were filmed.
Just for the un-initiated. Six episodes of The Twilight Zone season 2 were filmed on video tape instead of film as they usually were - a cost cutting exercise if you will. These episodes are noticeably different in look from the usual episodes.

To answer your question Collector's Room, I'm working my way through season two on BD at the moment, and as expected the regular episodes look as good as they did on season 1. As far as the video tape ones go, I watched Twenty Two so I could respond.

I think there's an improvement over DVD, but it's minimal and some of the flaws like slight trailing when people move are still there. I think this is a case of doing the best they could with what they had. The episodes have always stuck out like a sore thumb, and in all honesty they still do, but I think there is as much of an improvement as we can expect.

Last edited by TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs; 9th June 2011 at 07:50 AM.
Old 18th June 2011, 01:08 PM
Cult Rookie

Default Videotape Episodes from Season 2

there are six episodes on the season two discs - "Static", "The Lateness of the Hour", "The Whole Truth", "The Night of the Meek", "Long Distance Call" and "Twenty Two" - that were filmed on videotape, for some unknown reason rather than 35mm film.

These episodes have been cleaned up just as the others have but they do look conspicuous compared with the other episodes.

do you think they should have been dropped from this blu-ray set?

my personal opinion is that they should have been kept and rightly have a place in this boxset as part of season two and as part of twilight zone history.

but what do other people think?
Old 19th June 2011, 01:59 PM

Great discussion points Kevin. I've just merged these two threads so we can hopefully get more people chiming in about these controversial episodes.

My thoughts are above, but I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone else thinks.
Old 19th June 2011, 05:10 PM
Cult Rookie

thanks for explaining a bit more about the reason behind the videotape episodes co-ordinator
Old 15th July 2011, 11:26 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I'm looking forward to being able to contribute to this forum, once the BD of Season 2 arrives that I won in Kyle's supercomp! I'm hoping it doesn't turn out to be another one that is never in stock. This is one win I don't want to be replaced with something else!
Old 22nd July 2011, 03:24 PM
Cultist

Default Lateness of the hour

I did notice that the transfer of lateness of the hour was distinctly inferior to that of other episodes- particularly eye of the beholder, which I think due to the high contrast lighting has the most visual impact of the entire 2nd season on BD.

Anyway, it's good to now know why some episodes weren't as highly defined as others, thanks.

F:S
Old 22nd July 2011, 03:26 PM
Cultist

I also forgot to say- Absolutly worth keeping these 6 episodes on the disc set!

F:S
Old 3rd October 2011, 06:45 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Finally got seasons 2 & 3, and started watching S2. Just like the S1 set, I'm totally blown away by the quality of the transfers of the episodes. Fans of the series who haven't already done so, pick up a copy asap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17th January 2012, 09:18 PM
Cultist

I've only just got round to getting S2 so forgive me for joining the debate late. These episodes deserve their place because they're part of TZ history. But they do stand out it has to be said, they've got a cheap 1960's soap opera feel about them. The studio setting doesn't help either. I've only seen two of the episodes so far 'The Lateness of the Hour' looked like it was filmed almost live and some of the acting is slightly hammy. This is redeemed by 'Night of the Meek' A christmas classic

Like this? Share it using the links below!