Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The UK DVD and Blu-ray Releases (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   The Twilight Zone - On BD and DVD Like Never Before! Vol 1 and Beyond... (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/uk-dvd-blu-ray-releases/4755-twilight-zone-bd-dvd-like-never-before-vol-1-beyond.html)

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 28th April 2011 09:01 AM

Tales From the Crypt - now there's a title I wish someone would do a region 2 release of.

Jenny 30th April 2011 01:35 PM

My twilight zone season 1 blu ray shipped this morning ! I did something sneaky to get it to ship early. I had open orders for it at zavvi and amazon uk. Amazon uk shipped it early, so I cancelled the Zavvi order.

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 30th April 2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenny (Post 147175)
My twilight zone season 1 blu ray shipped this morning ! I did something sneaky to get it to ship early. I had open orders for it at zavvi and amazon uk. Amazon uk shipped it early, so I cancelled the Zavvi order.

Excellent! I look forward to discussing some of the eps with you! :nod:

Jenny 30th April 2011 02:18 PM

Me too. Amazon uk is estimating, I should have mine delivered in Greece by May 11, hope I get it sooner.

Stephen@Cult Labs 30th April 2011 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenny (Post 147175)

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it as well Jenny. Lets us know how they look (as if we don't already know they look fantastic!).

Jenny 30th April 2011 04:08 PM

Yeah like 30 million sites reviewed the US version which will be the sameas the UK ,lol. Im just curious if the blu ray case will be the same width as the US version.

snipsmovies 2nd May 2011 01:58 PM

So disappointing. Went out in search of a TZ BLu this morning as I had some HMV vouchers to get rid of - they won't let you spend them online. Visited 2 branches of HMV - Cheshire Oaks had ONE which they sold this morning, whilst the bigger store, Chester, did not receive any. The guy said "its out on a small label so that's why we didn't get it". Total balls.

Anyways, spent my vouchers on some CDs and came home and Amazon primed Twilight Zone, so at least I'll get it for Wednesday.

Jenny 2nd May 2011 02:50 PM

Hoping to receive in the mail this week. I havent even seen every episode of season 1. Reading the descriptions from some episodes guide of season 1, Ive probably seen about 20 or so of them. 1 episode im really anxious too see on blu ray is perchance to dream. Havent seen that in years, 1 interesting thing about this episode is the tv show amazing stories ripped this off in its 1st season.

Jenny 2nd May 2011 02:53 PM

Anyone kind enough to post pictures of the UK blu ray set? I want to see if the casing and discs is identical to the US version inside and out. The wait is killing me, lol. Also did it have the booklet ?

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 2nd May 2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snipsmovies (Post 147547)
The guy said "its out on a small label so that's why we didn't get it". Total balls.

Shocking, one of the most enduring and popular television shows of all time and they get one copy?!

snipsmovies 2nd May 2011 08:31 PM

Yeah, two of the highest revenue HMV's in the North West and one copy between them.

Trying not to go off topic, it does highlight people's frustration with the bricks & mortar establishments. I order (for my DVD shop) about 50+ titles from HMV Online each month, and like clockwork they turn up on the Friday before release day. Then as a one-off to spend some vouchers, I thought I'd go for the Blu-TZ to pick-up instore as I thought it would be a no-brainer to be there, and low and behold - nada.

I'm keeping my old DVDs though !! Although I was pleased to note that the DVD re-issue comes in a far better case than the last DVD issues of TZ. They looked good, and felt good, but a little impractical.

Almar@Cult Labs 3rd May 2011 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snipsmovies (Post 147639)
Yeah, two of the highest revenue HMV's in the North West and one copy between them.

Trying not to go off topic, it does highlight people's frustration with the bricks & mortar establishments. I order (for my DVD shop) about 50+ titles from HMV Online each month, and like clockwork they turn up on the Friday before release day. Then as a one-off to spend some vouchers, I thought I'd go for the Blu-TZ to pick-up instore as I thought it would be a no-brainer to be there, and low and behold - nada.

I'm keeping my old DVDs though !! Although I was pleased to note that the DVD re-issue comes in a far better case than the last DVD issues of TZ. They looked good, and felt good, but a little impractical.

This is a great shame indeed. I think there is still a need for bricks and mortar establishments - I believe there will be times and people who will pay a little extra to be able to get hold of what they want or prefer to browse physically but for that to work you have to carry range. The Twiight Zone is one of the best shows of all time and they're not stocking an all-new release - that's a poor show.

snipsmovies 3rd May 2011 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs (Post 147695)
This is a great shame indeed. I think there is still a need for bricks and mortar establishments - I believe there will be times and people who will pay a little extra to be able to get hold of what they want or prefer to browse physically

Must admit, having not been browsing for an age, I thoroughly enjoyed checking out HMV yesterday. Loads of stuff that I missed, despite scouring the release schedules with a microscope for work.

Again, off topic they only had one copy of Fantastic Factory boxset that they had both sold and it had yet to be replenished, so I drew another blank there !!

But anyway, I'm expecting a nice little packet from Amazon Prime tomorrow. I wonder is Season Two still on for two weeks time ?

Almar@Cult Labs 3rd May 2011 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snipsmovies (Post 147698)
Must admit, having not been browsing for an age, I thoroughly enjoyed checking out HMV yesterday. Loads of stuff that I missed, despite scouring the release schedules with a microscope for work.

Again, off topic they only had one copy of Fantastic Factory boxset that they had both sold and it had yet to be replenished, so I drew another blank there !!

But anyway, I'm expecting a nice little packet from Amazon Prime tomorrow. I wonder is Season Two still on for two weeks time ?

Maybe we need a thread on stocking to see how people got theirs - I'm disappointed about your hmv experience.

Vol 2 will be June now - Tom will have more details for you soon! :nod:

snipsmovies 3rd May 2011 10:45 AM

June, that's cool.

Tried those two branches again, just out of interest, after all - one did sell its only copy. Sadly no replenishment yet, nor is there any on order.

Almar@Cult Labs 3rd May 2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snipsmovies (Post 147710)
June, that's cool.

Tried those two branches again, just out of interest, after all - one did sell its only copy. Sadly no replenishment yet, nor is there any on order.

It just gets worse! :crazy:

Yikes! 3rd May 2011 11:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It just arrived, and this is what it looks like. Thin case, no actual booklet just a six page leaflet offering a list of episode synopses and extras. I would have preferred the label on the front to have been removable, but it isn't.
I'm going to check an episode out over lunch.

Almar@Cult Labs 3rd May 2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes! (Post 147721)
It just arrived, and this is what it looks like. Thin case, no actual booklet just a six page leaflet offering a list of episode synopses and extras. I would have preferred the label on the front to have been removable, but it isn't.

Looking forward to seeing what you reckon after watching an episode - you know which one you're going to watch yet? I treated myself to One For The Angels last night - which reminds me I need to go leave a little review in the episodes section - I'm hoping people will join in - Twilight Zone (1960s) Season One In-Depth Episode Guide - Cult Labs

Jenny 3rd May 2011 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes! (Post 147721)

Thanks for posting that pic sweetie !!! I appreciate it. Looks very similar to the casing of the American blu , which makes me very happy. Sadly nothing in the mail yet, hoping for tomorrow.:pray:

Yikes! 3rd May 2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenny (Post 147727)
Thanks for posting that pic sweetie !!! I appreciate it. Looks very similar to the casing of the American blu , which makes me very happy. Sadly nothing in the mail yet, hoping for tomorrow.:pray:

You're welcome. Hope yours arrives soon. It's an impressive set.

Yikes! 3rd May 2011 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs (Post 147722)
Looking forward to seeing what you reckon after watching an episode - you know which one you're going to watch yet? I treated myself to One For The Angels last night - which reminds me I need to go leave a little review in the episodes section - I'm hoping people will join in - Twilight Zone (1960s) Season One In-Depth Episode Guide - Cult Labs

Just watched Where is Everybody?
Impressed by show and Blu-Ray :)

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 3rd May 2011 02:20 PM

Nice to see some copies are trickling through. So I take it this is your first experience with the show Yikes? I love hearing the thoughts of old time fans, but I find the opinions of people seeing it for the first time really fascinating. :nod:

Sad to hear about the HMV woes though. We'll be letting Shock know, so hopefully they can do something their end.

Yikes! 3rd May 2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs (Post 147761)
Nice to see some copies are trickling through. So I take it this is your first experience with the show Yikes? I love hearing the thoughts of old time fans, but I find the opinions of people seeing it for the first time really fascinating. :nod:

Sad to hear about the HMV woes though. We'll be letting Shock know, so hopefully they can do something their end.

I'm not a total newbie, I watched many of them about twenty years ago, so I'm not coming to them for the first time, but it feels as though I am :) If that makes sense.

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 3rd May 2011 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes! (Post 147762)
I'm not a total newbie, I watched many of them about twenty years ago, so I'm not coming to them for the first time, but it feels as though I am :) If that makes sense.

Absolutely. It's going to be like that for me when we get to seasons 4 & 5 and parts of season 3 too.

Jenny 4th May 2011 11:21 AM

Still nothing from the mailman today. I hope I get it by Friday.

Coffindaz 4th May 2011 06:21 PM

Sadly, although mine arrived last week, due to various factors (ie my life!)I haven't really had a chance to watch them!:pray: I agree that the non removable 'contents' box on the front cover is a bit barmy, but after having watched "Monsters Are Due On Maple Street", it is a fabulous set which will take some time to get through - extras and all - but I'm sure you'll agree it's time well spent!:dance:

Jenny 4th May 2011 06:56 PM

1 of the extras im really looking forward to is the many radio dramas.:)

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 5th May 2011 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenny (Post 148076)
1 of the extras im really looking forward to is the many radio dramas.:)

I'm with you there, I'm a big fan of those, and with 18 of them on the release that's pretty good value.

Just to let everyone know I've set up threads concerning the Season 1 release in a special section to discuss all of the different aspects of it - the radio plays included.

The Twilight Zone: Vol 1 DVD and BD Debate - Cult Labs

Jenny 5th May 2011 06:30 PM

Still nothing in the mail. It just has to come tomorrow.

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 6th May 2011 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenny (Post 148293)
Still nothing in the mail. It just has to come tomorrow.

I can see it now. The blu ray arrives...you hurriedly take it to your blu ray player and frantically put it into the drive, in your haste the player falls to the floor with an almighty crash, smashing into pieces....

"The best laid plans of mice and men and Jenny, the woman in the sequin dress who wanted nothing but a blu ray. Jenny, now just a part of a smashed living room, just a piece of the cracked plastic, just a fragment of what man has deeded to himself.
Jenny in the Twilight Zone."

:eek:

Almar@Cult Labs 6th May 2011 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs (Post 148447)
I can see it now. The blu ray arrives...you hurriedly take it to your blu ray player and frantically put it into the drive, in your haste the player falls to the floor with an almighty crash, smashing into pieces....

"The best laid plans of mice and men and Jenny, the woman in the sequin dress who wanted nothing but a blu ray. Jenny, now just a part of a smashed living room, just a piece of the cracked plastic, just a fragment of what man has deeded to himself.

Now that is SPOOKY stuff! I do hope it works out better for you Jenny than that. Just reading that has made me work in an episode or two into my late night viewing plans tonight - I can't wait!

Jenny 6th May 2011 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs (Post 148447)

Haha , I can actually picture the great Rod Serling saying that. Looks like amazons estimate of may 10-11 delivery is right, nothing yet.:( Fingers crossed Monday will be Twilight zone day.

The Collector's Room 9th May 2011 07:43 AM

Although I don't own a Blu Ray player, I went looking for the TZ release just so I can see the packaging. However, I can't find it anywhere.

Could it be that the popularity of this amazing show is so high that it has sold out across the board, or have I got the release dates mixed up the series isn't out yet?!

Almar@Cult Labs 9th May 2011 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Collector's Room (Post 149198)
Although I don't own a Blu Ray player, I went looking for the TZ release just so I can see the packaging. However, I can't find it anywhere.

Could it be that the popularity of this amazing show is so high that it has sold out across the board, or have I got the release dates mixed up the series isn't out yet?!

It's definitely out - what is probably needed I suspect is people asking for it in the shops - they don't seem to get the value of this show I suspect :confused:

Jenny 9th May 2011 12:28 PM

Im going to wait till Wednesday. If my Amazon copy still hasnt arrived, I will send them an e mail to let them know my copy still hasnt shown up.

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 10th May 2011 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenny (Post 149236)
Im going to wait till Wednesday. If my Amazon copy still hasnt arrived, I will send them an e mail to let them know my copy still hasnt shown up.

Fingers crossed they get here soon Jenny!

Jenny 10th May 2011 04:19 PM

Thanks Tom. Ive sent amazon UK an e mail this morning. They responded quickly, they said if I dont receive it by May 18th to contact them for a replacement copy. Im pretty confident Ill have it this week.

Jenny 11th May 2011 10:47 AM

What irony, the mailmen here in Greece were on strike today!!:rolleyes: Tomorrow has to be Twilight Zone day.

Jenny 12th May 2011 03:11 PM

It finally came today!!!!!! Sat down and watched the pilot where is everbody. I hadnt seen this episode before. Truly a great performance by 1 person alone for like 95% of the episode. The ending totally diffrent than what I expected. The most amazing thing about this show on blu is the sound!! Maybe its because all this time, I kept hearing about how amazing the picture quality is for such an old show. It does look fantastic, but the audio suprised me, usually on old shows you really have to crank the tv audio all the way up. I had the volume only up to 35 and it was loud and crystal clear. To get back to the pilot, did anyone notice the locations??? I wont spoil it for anyone, but in the 1980s 2 very famous movies were made where the zone pilot was shot. If no one answers by tomorrow Ill let you know. Im not even going to watch the rest of the set in order, ill skip to my favorites then watch the episodes ive never seen last. Bonus features saved for last. Nice to know that by the time ive disected everything on these discs, another 2 seasons will be waiting for me to buy. If I have time tonight Ill try to work in at least 1 of my 2 favorites, the after hours, or a stop at willougby.:):):)

Yikes! 12th May 2011 04:37 PM

Glad your set finally arrived Jenny, lots of Twilight goodness lies ahead of you.