Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > Prisoner Cell Block H: The Official UK DVD Forum > The UK DVD Box Sets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th November 2012, 10:19 AM
Cultist

Default Just finished 552 and volume 17

I've just finished watching 552 which concludes the volume 17 boxset.

I wonder why there's such a large gap between the vol 17 and 18 boxsets being released. Volume 18 isn't due out until February next year (I think).

Also, having now seen Myra die in the terroist seige, I wonder at what point Anne Phelan who played Myra knew she was leaving the series.

Is is possible that she already knew that she was going to be written out even before Betty Bobbit (Judy) had taped her final episode (#534).

The reason I ask is it makes me wonder if the whole Ruth Ballinger arc was devised purely as an exit plot for the character of Myra.

If so, Annie Phelan must have already known that she was leaving the series BEFORE Ballinger was even inducted to Wentworth which happened in #538.
Old 26th November 2012, 12:43 PM
Cultist

I'm not sure if she knew but the Ballinger story was certainly a good story-line, even without the siege. Perhaps Anne's contract was due to expire around then anyway - they likely all signed contracts so had a rough idea when they were due to leave, unless they had been offered to renew their contracts. Perhaps Anne just felt her time was up and wanted to be written out...it would be nice to know though.

Also, the Barnhurst 5 were introduced too, and it seemed that having Nora as TD was the plan all along, so the writers at least would have known what they were planning by the time they were introduced.
Old 26th November 2012, 03:17 PM
Cultist

No, apparently what happened is Annie Phelan who played Myra (brilliantly IMO - she was definitely one of the very finest actresses ever to appear in Prisoner) was only ever on 6 month contracts at time.

However, when she heard that Betty Bobbit (Judy) was leaving she asked for a pay rise - basically she asked to be put on the same scale as Betty (but no more than that) realising that Betty's exit would lead to more scenes for Myra and an increased workload for herself. Apparently, the powers that be refused her request and her contract was not renewed.

That's the reason why she was written out in the terroist seige.

However, it would just be interesting to know precisely when the contract negotiations took place and at what point Annie knew she was leaving the serial. ie whether the Ruth Ballinger arc was thought up purely as a plot device to facilitate Myra's exit or if they tagged the terroist seige on to the storyline at a later date (post Ruth's induction to Wentworth) to write out Myra following contract negotiations breaking down between Annie and Grundys.
Old 26th November 2012, 05:16 PM
Cultist

Ah right, I see. I actually cannot believe they refused her pay rise...she was every bit as good as Betty was and I agree that she played the part brilliantly. Sad that she had to leave but her exit was fantastic. One of the very best.

My 3 all time favourite exits are Myra, Kate and Eve. All excellent....not sure you have got to Eve yet or not (is this your first time through the series?) but it was fantastic.
Old 26th November 2012, 06:37 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The~Governor View Post
when she heard that Betty Bobbit (Judy) was leaving she asked for a pay rise - basically she asked to be put on the same scale as Betty (but no more than that) realising that Betty's exit would lead to more scenes for Myra and an increased workload for herself. Apparently, the powers that be refused her request and her contract was not renewed.

That's the reason why she was written out in the terroist seige.
I posted that on wentworth forum lol
Old 26th November 2012, 06:38 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishMermaid View Post
(is this your first time through the series?) but it was fantastic.
No, but it's 15 years or more since I last saw it on ITV since we could not get channel 5 at the time when it was repeated.

I too remember Eve Wilder getting hanged at the kangaroo court being presided over by Lou Kelly.

However, I think my own 3 favourite exits are Myra, Len Murphy and David Bridges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I posted that on wentworth forum lol
Never seen it on the Wentworth forum; however, she does discuss it in the DVD interview, recorded (I think) in 2001.

Like this? Share it using the links below!