Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The UK DVD Box Sets (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Prisoner Cell Block H (UK DVD Box Sets General Chat) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/uk-dvd-box-sets/880-prisoner-cell-block-h-uk-dvd-box-sets-general-chat.html)

mr 420 15th February 2011 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs (Post 128378)
Are you new to the show? If so I'm jealous - what a great show to come to fresh - so many episodes and nearly all of them are brilliant! :nod:

I wish it was me! Can you imagine having 692 episodes of prisoner goodness to look forward too? I'm drooling at the thought.:cool:

Stephen@Cult Labs 15th February 2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 128403)
I wish it was me! Can you imagine having 692 episodes of prisoner goodness to look forward too? I'm drooling at the thought.:cool:

They're certainly in for a treat, that's for sure!

scottymckellar 15th February 2011 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs (Post 128378)
Are you new to the show? If so I'm jealous - what a great show to come to fresh - so many episodes and nearly all of them are brilliant! :nod:

I am, yes. I'm afraid it was a show that my mum, sister and Aunty would watch late on Friday nights and bundle me off to bed before the opening credits. The thing is I naturally assumed it'd be boring girl tv so I wasn't bothered. If only I'd known!

My partner had seen a few episodes already and picked up the first box set when we saw it going cheap at a car boot sale last year. I was completely ready to busy myself doing something else but from Frankie's amazing first scene onwards it had me.

From then on we've grabbed all the sets. We couldn't get enough of Lee-Ann Burke ragdolling off the roof!

Vol 7 is pre-ordered! :)

Almar@Cult Labs 16th February 2011 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottymckellar (Post 128450)
I am, yes. I'm afraid it was a show that my mum, sister and Aunty would watch late on Friday nights and bundle me off to bed before the opening credits. The thing is I naturally assumed it'd be boring girl tv so I wasn't bothered. If only I'd known!

My partner had seen a few episodes already and picked up the first box set when we saw it going cheap at a car boot sale last year. I was completely ready to busy myself doing something else but from Frankie's amazing first scene onwards it had me.

From then on we've grabbed all the sets. We couldn't get enough of Lee-Ann Burke ragdolling off the roof!

You are soooo lucky - you're getting to see these episodes fresh and new! That said Prisoner really stands up to repeat viewing - I've probably watched most of it three times through (STV, Channel 5 and then on DVD - after a VERY expensive flirtation with the video tapes in the 90s which quickly stopped) but now the good thing is I'm not missing a single episode and there are soooooo many! :)

Wilf 16th February 2011 07:10 PM

I loved watching Blocky for the first time, on ITV back in the late 80s/early 90s. There were no spoilers to be had *anywhere*, and characters were often written out without warning, and in the most dramatic and heart-rending ways. I think it was the last truly unpredictable continuing drama I ever watched.

Even though I've now seen the whole series, though, I still find Blocky strangely compelling and addictive. It's so dark and so in-your-face, with such a high turnover of plotlines, it's pretty much impossible to *stop* watching it!

There's nothing else like it, anywhere.

Badboy 16th February 2011 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilf (Post 128709)
I loved watching Blocky for the first time, on ITV back in the late 80s/early 90s. There were no spoilers to be had *anywhere*, and characters were often written out without warning, and in the most dramatic and heart-rending ways. I think it was the last truly unpredictable continuing drama I ever watched.

Even though I've now seen the whole series, though, I still find Blocky strangely compelling and addictive. It's so dark and so in-your-face, with such a high turnover of plotlines, it's pretty much impossible to *stop* watching it!

There's nothing else like it, anywhere.

Great post ^^ Sums up exactly my thoughts. It never seems to tire. Those of you watching for the first time are in for such a treat. Very jealous of you :pop2::pop2:

Stephen@Cult Labs 17th February 2011 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badboy (Post 128804)
Those of you watching for the first time are in for such a treat. Very jealous of you :pop2::pop2:

Or those of us who'll be watching it for the 2nd time after seeing it in the 80's and having hazy, but fond memories. :)

Badboy 17th February 2011 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 128814)
Or those of us who'll be watching it for the 2nd time after seeing it in the 80's and having hazy, but fond memories. :)

Completely and utterly jealous of you all... :)

Almar@Cult Labs 18th February 2011 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badboy (Post 128970)
Completely and utterly jealous of you all... :)

So how many viewings of the whole epic are you on now then Badboy?

mr 420 18th February 2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottymckellar (Post 128450)

I think that there will be a lot of lucky people who will soon become Prisoner addicts after seeing an episode of one of the sets that a friend has bought. We all know that it doesn't take much to get hooked on this audacius aussie mana!