Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > Prisoner Cell Block H: The Official UK DVD Forum > The UK DVD Box Sets

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th January 2009, 04:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

It's 174 DVDs and they throw in a couple of bonuses in the set such as booklets and special packaging. There's one on eBay now for £780 delivered, if only I was rich!
Old 15th January 2009, 02:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I'm glad i'm not!

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 15th January 2009, 04:34 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

How come I missed this thread! back in the days of four channels and next to no late-night viewing this was a must-have appointment on ITV. Annoyingly my region then (STV) was forever mucking the timings about.

Prisoner has been a loooooooooooong time coming to DVD here - I do a lot of work for Fremantle and have been hassling them to get this out - thankfully they didn't go for the idea of releasing it all in one go - it would have been insanely expensive.

For anyone who just believes the lazy odd write-up comments you get about this series having 'shaky sets' and nothing else then you're missing out. This is so relentlessly grim and at times seriously twisted it's a must have!
Old 15th January 2009, 04:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Those late nights sitting up with my nan watching it on Yorkshire TV, they were the days!

Nice to see another fan and I agree with everything you say there. I think this is a programme that a lot of people liked but wouldn't admit in fear of having the piss taken out of them. My dad for example was always taking the piss out of me but yet I caught him watching a few episodes himself. It's quality TV with very entertaining plots and memorable characters.

So you say you were involved in the UK DVD release? Do you know what the plans are for future volumes and when they'll be released? I'm dying to get the first volume but at the same time am wary of starting a collection that's nowhere near finished in case they do pull the plug half way through.
Old 15th January 2009, 04:55 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

People used to take the piss out of me for watching it in student days when it was shown on Five but then they started drifting in to watch it... We all know we have true taste here!

As for the UK DVD release my involvement is next to nil. I do most of the PR work for Fremantle titles and stick my oar in when it's invited and I've just been nagging at them for a long time to put out Prisoner. The way it is being released though is actually through another company so I don't know what the plans are for future volumes but I will be asking and as soon as I know more - I'll let y'all know!

I was so sad I started buying the NTV VHS tapes in the 90s - two episodes for £12.99 and they stopped after episode 14!!!!
Old 15th January 2009, 07:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Please do let us know, if they do release it in its entirety then they'll get my custom, that's for sure!
I think they should release bigger box sets instead of just releasing 32 episodes. I figured out it would take 22 volumes to complete it all, and that would take ages. Why not release 64 episodes per volume and charge £45 or something?

I remember when channel 5 started showing it from the beginning and I was really excited because I hadn't seen those episodes before. Whoever decided to show it at a stupid time like 5 am in the morning needs shooting! It would have been alright but I didn't have my own VCR then. I was at high school at the time and so would wake up at around 7:30 every morning so I'd set my alarm for the time Prisoner was on, watch it, sleep for an hour and get up for school... it was a killer! I managed it a few times but most of the time I was so tired I'd watch 10 minutes and crawl back up to bed. A wasted opportunity by channel 5 there.
Old 19th January 2009, 11:47 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Wow that is some dedication! It's the kind of twisted thing that appeals to my heart. I used to tape them but on all sorts of little chunks of videotapes which I'd then never label so watching any episodes required a massive time clearance beforehand so I could work out which tape it was I needed. I did stack them up but of course that stack would then fall or I'd have to pull the tape out to watch an episode of *ahem* Dallas... Not only that but in trying to find the tape I'd have to look at an episode whilst trying not to watch it and spoil any cliffhangers... I seemed to have this gene that prohibited me from labelling tapes - really annoying!
Old 19th January 2009, 12:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Re Dallas, you're a nice guy so I'll not make any comment on that .

That must have been a real nightmare trying to record every episode, I doubt I'd possess the dedication required to record all.

Were 5 the last channel to show Cell Block H or has it been transmitted again since? It seems have become a hidden gem since the end of the '90s.
Old 19th January 2009, 12:37 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Hey early Dallas was gritty compulsive viewing - only later on did it start to parody itself and become what people now only seem to remember it for.

As far as I'm aware Five were the last to show it and they hardly put much effort into it - I am surprised one of the endless number of cable channels doesn't show it.
Old 19th January 2009, 06:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Here you go (Almar and WaveCrest), see if these 2 clips bring back a few memories

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-yk4PPxE1uA

and,

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YCTGYa4iNQo

I will openly admit that the first one shocked me and gave me a sleepless night and video two was pretty grim too.

Like this? Share it using the links below!