Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > Prisoner Cell Block H: The Official UK DVD Forum > The UK DVD Box Sets
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th March 2009, 12:00 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Good point - the first Marty - never knew there were three! No more news from Fremantle - it's not a project I'm working on for them but if I hear more I shall spill!
Old 17th March 2009, 12:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Actually there may have been 4 actors who played Marty, all completely different looking of course! Thanks Almar if you find anything else out from Freemantle please spill, there terrible at imforming even the Official Prisoner website.
Old 17th March 2009, 12:38 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Well get 'em to get me to do the PR and then you'll all know what's going on!
Old 17th March 2009, 04:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishominis View Post
Officer Jock Stewart. He was Scotch!
No shit!! I think the name alone gives that away!
Old 19th March 2009, 10:00 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I was clearing out the spare room and came across a vhs tape with the first 2 episodes of prisoner, along with an address for something called; Save our Australian soaps!.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 19th March 2009, 12:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yes because Australian soaps were a dying breed! It's odd that the only Aussie soaps we get in Britain are Neighbours and Home & Away these days. There must be more on TV out there. With the trend to remake or reimagine old tv shows and films it's odd that so far they've avoided Prisoner.
Old 19th March 2009, 04:00 PM
Cultist

I remember the UK campaign S.O.A.P. - Save Our Aussie Programmes, which I seem to recall was set up because some ITV regions were trying to ditch Prisoner (which was what they eventually did) and this pressure group was trying to convince the station heads to reconsider.

The character of Jock Stewart was a great one, even if it painted the Scots in a bad light. The hissing smoker's laugh and almost impossibly deep voice really made him a character to love & loathe in equal measure - "ya wee lassie"!

I am still ploughing through the first volume from Freemantle - I think I'm now on about episode 21. The show has dipped quite a bit now that Carol Burns has gone, but it's still interesting - certainly not the worst lull in the show's history.

Kev W
Old 19th March 2009, 04:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson Bros View Post
The character of Jock Stewart was a great one, even if it painted the Scots in a bad light. The hissing smoker's laugh and almost impossibly deep voice really made him a character to love & loathe in equal measure - "ya wee lassie"! .
Your typical run of the mill Scotchman then I see.
Old 19th March 2009, 07:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Episode 21, hurry up Wilson Brothers! I'm on with 494, I bought the Aussie volumes because Freemantle were non too commital on a UK release ever appearing. The program does have definate dips in terms of characters, story, plotting and sometimes even quality. After Bea leaves in episode 400 there is a definate dip, she was a huge part of the show and it was a while before Myra came in took over the Top Dog role. There are yearly reviews on the Who's who in Wentworth website, alot of Jock's comments are very valid some I don't agree with at all.

It's such a shame Freemantle seem to treat Prisoner with utter contempt, given proper PR the volumes would sell. Think of all the random short lived tv shows that are taking up space on HMV's shelves, Prisoner has a cult following unlike Little Miss Jocelyn and it's crappy ilk!
Old 20th March 2009, 07:50 AM
Cultist

Neither of us have much in the way of free time, so we're just able to watch them when we have a spare hour or whatever.

I recall that there was a serious slump after Fiona Spence left and they seemed to call upon Judith McGrath to come in and try and fill the villianous warder role for a while.

Kev W

Like this? Share it using the links below!