Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > Prisoner Cell Block H: The Official UK DVD Forum > The UK DVD Box Sets

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th March 2009, 06:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Shameless View Post
Scottish people don't usually take too kindly to the word 'Scotch' - rather an American term.

As for the release strategy I have no idea - I work on a lot of stuff for Fremantle but bizarrely not Prisoner but I'll be grubbing about for more info - after all I have my late-night viewing to consider!
Really? Is it regarded as an insult or something? None of the Scotch forum users have ever complained tbh.

If I were you I'd insist on having more input on it, especially as you're a fan, that's got to count for something. Please do ask anyway because the sooner it's out in its entirety the better.
Old 10th March 2009, 10:28 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Send a message via MSN to siccoyote

I thought cloud just used scotch all the time ironically to rile up the Scottish members of the forum.

I agree it's a great theme.
Old 10th March 2009, 11:24 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
Really? Is it regarded as an insult or something? None of the Scotch forum users have ever complained tbh.

If I were you I'd insist on having more input on it, especially as you're a fan, that's got to count for something. Please do ask anyway because the sooner it's out in its entirety the better.
Well put it this way it's something tourists might say. That and there's just something really stodgy about the word!

Anyway onto important matters let's see what happens with the releases - they're not even remotely within my control but I'll try and dig up more info if and when I get it.
Old 11th March 2009, 04:49 PM
Cultist

I have some Scots blood in me and I certainly know not to use the term "scotch" in relation to someone from Scotland - it only pisses them off.

Going back on topic, I have finally been managing to plough through the first volume of the Prisoner set. Yesterday, I watched Carol Burns' exit from the series.

It had been quite a while since I'd seen the first episodes of Prisoner and it made me realise that Frankie Doyle WAS the show to begin with - Carol Burns was hands-down the best actress on the show and she was one of the few to want to leave the show when it was decided that it was going to continue beyond the original 18 episodes (or however many it was) into an "ongoing series". Burns left because she felt that the quality of her performance was going to suffer when the workload increased.

Not sure how many more I'm going to watch, but if another review copy is sent my way, then I'm sure that I could force myself to write another lengthy critique on it...

Kev W

Last edited by Wilson Bros; 12th March 2009 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11th March 2009, 06:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Me? Try to rile up our Scotch brothers? As if!! I love Scotland, Alec Ferguson, The Loch Ness Monster, Reaper72 etc... brilliant!

Anyway people from Scotland = Scotch, Wales = Welsh, Ireland = Irish, England = English, USA = Yanks etc. And that's Cloud's guide to countries and their nationality .

I saw very little of the early Cell Block H so can't pass comment regarding the acting. I do remember Alf Stewart appearing a few times as different characters and nearly always getting killed off. My favourite actor though again was Joan Ferguson, she was a bit too convincing at times! I hear she's a lovely person in real life though.
Old 11th March 2009, 07:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The first 16 episodes are the show as it was originally planned, the lighting is moody and the camera work almost arty at times. You should all get over to the Prisoner Forum, it's great fun!
Old 11th March 2009, 10:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'd be no good on there yet because I'm going on childhood memories here. Come on Fremantle be bold and get them out in bigger volumes.
Old 17th March 2009, 08:29 AM
Cult Rookie

Officer Jock Stewart. He was Scottish! He was pushed down the stairs and paralysed - but he was a complete scunner so that's OK...
My fave episode is - I think #3 - where Meg Morris/Matthews/Cruickshank etc. loses her husband in a riot.
Officer Joyce Barry was like the 'Big Ron' of Prisoner for years - a bit part who never did anything, and I think it went downhill at the point she started getting her own storylines.
I knew when I saw it (on Yorkshire TV mid-nineties) that the show ended with The Freak being sent down, and so used to panic every time Joan got into a scrape!!!
Old 17th March 2009, 10:41 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Whoa - Jock Stewart - he was hideous! Made the Freak look nice. Joyce was a right old saddo - no way she could have worked there for real - mind you they let Meg work there. Meg and her hideously ugly son!
Old 17th March 2009, 12:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Which version Almar? Marty Jackson was played by three different actors! Is there anymore news from Freemantle regarding UK Volume 2 and possibly more?

Like this? Share it using the links below!