Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th June 2010, 07:00 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default THE BURNING/Tom Savini

hi all,what are your thoughts on the burning and/or tom savini?
personally i think the burning is a great film.watched it when i was a kid and some 25yrs later it is still one of my faves! definately up there with the likes of friday,evil dead and tcm.
i believe thorn emi released this uncut by mistake,then had to remove it off the shelves?
years later,before dvd came about it was re released on vhs and i got it the very same day! but it was a cut version!think about 34 secs were missing?

then when dvd came out and i finally got a dvd player this was one of many replacements. however i got the vipco version,and as you may know many of there films are stated as being uncut,but they aint! but my copy of the burning does actually seem to be uncut? if you know different please advise.
it had a good soundtrack,good camera work { loved the killers pov },great effects and a good if not done many times story.
i am so glad they havent done a sequel/prequel and hope it never gets remade!
i bet theres not many people with a machete,chainsaw or old tape recorder in there shed,but garden shears? all of us?
i know of only 4 films where savini has starred,dawn of the dead,dusk till dawn,forest of fear and maniac but is there any more?
Old 27th June 2010, 07:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Vipco released two dvd's of The Burning, cut and uncut.

cut version:

burningcut.jpg

Uncut version:

burninguncut.jpg

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 27th June 2010, 07:23 PM
Seasoned Cultist

thanks for that,the cut version was my vhs copy and the uncut is my dvd version! i believe there is a 2 disc by raptor? any one recommend this?
Old 27th June 2010, 11:06 PM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis View Post
i know of only 4 films where savini has starred,dawn of the dead,dusk till dawn,forest of fear and maniac but is there any more?
Savini has a major role in George Romero's Knightriders as Morgan the Black Knight. Its a fantastic film about jousting on motorbikes. One of my all time favourites

He also has a part in Planet Terror as a cop, and I think he's gonna pop up in Machete too.
Old 27th June 2010, 11:37 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Loved Savini's cameo as the County Sheriff giving an interview in Zack Synder's Dawn of the Dead remake.

"Just shoot them in the head! They seem to go down permanently if you shoot them in the head. Then, you gotta burn them!"

Classic!
Old 27th June 2010, 11:55 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
i believe there is a 2 disc by raptor? any one recommend this?
I don't own it myself but I do know it contains a 50 min documentary (English or German audio) & a bio on Tom on the second disc. I believe the set is ltd to 3000, so probably would be worth picking up & of course it's uncut.
Old 28th June 2010, 06:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
thanks for that,the cut version was my vhs copy and the uncut is my dvd version! i believe there is a 2 disc by raptor? any one recommend this?
Look here for the best version(s):

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=2390

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 29th June 2010, 12:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Burning is one of my fave slashers of the 80's.I got the MGM R1 DVD, which is the best edition of the film currently available on DVD imo.As for Tom Savini's appearences in movies, he had a cameo as a bin man in the original Creepshow and was under heavy make-up as the creep in Creepshow 2.He also starred in Romero's classic Martin.
Old 29th June 2010, 01:21 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofwitches666 View Post
I don't own it myself but I do know it contains a 50 min documentary (English or German audio) & a bio on Tom on the second disc. I believe the set is ltd to 3000, so probably would be worth picking up & of course it's uncut.
Decided to watch my copy the other day as it had been quite a while since I'd had it out my collection. For some unknown reason I thought I owned the German Dragon version. Nope! I do actually own the Raptor 2 disc. Number 2202 to be precise. Jeez what an idiot!

Sometimes I don't know what I've got!
Old 29th June 2010, 04:34 PM
Seasoned Cultist

has it dated? i aint seen it for a while,but i imagine its still better than a lot of recent films which have had a larger budget?
must give it a viewing soon!

Like this? Share it using the links below!