Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th October 2009, 12:11 AM
Active Cultist

Abel Ferrara is one of my favourite director's, King of New York being my favourite film made by him, closely followed by The Funeral and The Addiction, although Bad Lieutenant is superb aswell. He's actually made quite a few films over the years, eg. Body Snatchers, The Blackout, New Rose Hotel etc. Most of his films aren't easy to find on DVD though, a lot of the stuff is unreleased.

I thought The Driller Killer was ok, although pretty dull and boring to be honest. I've been meaning to pick up the French Ms.45 for ages now but have just never got round to it because of the rubbish euro to pound exchange rate. I might pick it up soon though, as it is long overdue that I buy it.
Old 28th October 2009, 12:42 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
Those legs......anyone tempted yet?

Yeah, I love Ferrara and have been replacing all my now gone VHS tapes with better DVD versions. Not got too much yet (I've managed to pick up cheap disks of The Addiction, King Of New York, The Driller Killer and so on) but I did get the French Ms 45 (and the Korean one because it was cheap and I liked the cover! I despair sometimes... ). Not watched it yet though I feel a rediscovery weekend coming up soon.

I also bought the old laserdisc of Bad Lieutenant recently too as it is one of my favourite films and I can't bear to watch it with the ruined soundtrack!

Oh, and for the record, I have always thought The Driller Killer quite an under-rated (though still flawed!) piece. One of the finer works of cinema to be found on the DPP list.
Old 28th October 2009, 06:25 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Ferrara IS one of the most underatted directors around,and his output on DVD is criminally lacking some decent releases on shiny disc.(Kudos to Arrow for KONY).
Driller Killer WAS one of the better 'banned' titles,but IMHO is rather a depressing film......

MS.45 I reckon is his best film.To make a film like this from a zero budget takes talent.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 28th October 2009, 06:48 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
Ferrara IS one of the most underatted directors around,and his output on DVD is criminally lacking some decent releases on shiny disc.(Kudos to Arrow for KONY).
Driller Killer WAS one of the better 'banned' titles,but IMHO is rather a depressing film......

MS.45 I reckon is his best film.To make a film like this from a zero budget takes talent.
Apparently Arrow's release of King of New York was rubbish? Or so I have read from quite a few reviews, stating that there are sound issues with it and it sounds like there is lots of random background noise in the soundtrack that ruins it.

Which is the main reason I opted for the region 1 Artisan Special Edition release instead. It's got all of the same extras as the UK version I think, or the UK version just ported all of the region 1 extras as the US version was released a few years ago now I think.

Also, a quick heads up while we are on the topic of King of New York, Christopher Walken is on Jonathan Ross this Friday which should be awesome.
Old 28th October 2009, 07:04 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Trying to track down a DVD of Mary that I can afford is practically reducing me to tears eveytime I look!

Why is this film not being distributed? The critics adore it! It has name actors!
Old 28th October 2009, 07:08 PM
Active Cultist

I want Go Go Tales aswell, which is one of his most recent films (2007 I think). It was only shown at a few film festivals and has had no official DVD release or anything although there is an Italian release out there which I have been meaning to buy but that is also pretty pricey.

Ferrara's films need proper releases, with extras etc.

Maybe Shameless could release some at one point, or Arrow, kind of a sub-series under the Shameless or Arrow label.
Old 30th October 2009, 08:10 PM
Ex-member

His documentary film about the bizarre 'Chelsea Hotel'. "Chelsea on the Rocks", looks really interesting a suitably off the wall.
Again though...You just can't seem to get it.
Old 31st October 2009, 12:13 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

As I said earlier,easily his best film.
The gorgeous Zoe Tamerliss/Lund,who coincidentially wrote the screenplay for Bad Lieutenant,sadly died of heart failure in 1999.
What a waste of talent and life.....

The oop Region 1 Image DVD was re-edited as follows....
First rape is split with an insert shot from a later scene.
Second rape is more severely cut,omitting the line 'This oughta make you talk,huh?'
The Halloween party was also re-edited to remove an onscreen murder,which then occured offscreen.

The French DVD is completely restored.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2189781903_small_1.jpg (25.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 2479661.47.jpg (8.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg ms45.jpg (20.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Ms45NuNGuN.jpg (15.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg trash_cinephile_ms._451231869560.jpg (13.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 1437907360_36e267c58b.jpg (48.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg ms45web.jpg (10.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg beyondsms45wallpaperob2.jpg (94.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Ms_45-pp.jpg (20.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg ms45-vhs.jpg (29.5 KB, 2 views)

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 31st October 2009, 01:20 PM
Cult Rookie

I definitely want to buy the French MS.45. I love Ferrara's movies too.

I own on DVD: the Driller Killer, Fear City, King of New York, Bad Lieutenant, The Addiction, The Funeral, The Blackout and New Rose Hotel. (All Dutch releases)

There is also a Dutch release of Mary, but can't find anywhere. Are there any other releases of this movie?
Old 1st November 2009, 05:51 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

OK, so who knows the skinny on this Korean release then? I've heard that it is the R-rated cut and I have heard it is the complete version.

I finally got around to compariing running times in my machine:

Korean 80 mins 14 secs NTSC
French 77m 25 secs PAL (excluding the opening Warner logo absent from the Korean print)

Seems close, but then if the trims are slight, who knows.

I'll try to check the actual scenes later.

Like this? Share it using the links below!