Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   VHS & Exploitation (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=573)
-   -   Recommended Blaxploitation Films? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/vhs-exploitation/2205-recommended-blaxploitation-films.html)

Gojirosan 2nd April 2010 10:50 AM

I'm very fond of Larry Cohen's Blaxploitation trilogy: Black Caesar, Hell Up In Harlem and Original Gangstas (very under-rated, unfairly so, I thought).

I should get around to getting them on DVD, as my VHS copies are long gone.

Splatterdragon73 3rd April 2010 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingofwitches666 (Post 71155)
Truck Turner always gets my vote, Isaac Hayes at his finest. Killer soundtrack, better than Shaft.:thumb:

I also recommend buying a copy of Fab Press's wonderful book: Blaxploitation Cinema - The Essential Reference Guide. Pretty much a bible on the subject and a great read, very well researched. :rockon:

I agree on both.

TT is brilliant blaxploitation with Issac Hayes on top form and a fine supporting cast.

Also, the aforementioned FAB Press tome is well worth a purchase. Great book and a great buy!:thumb:

Splatterdragon73 3rd April 2010 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 71193)
I'm very fond of Larry Cohen's Blaxploitation trilogy: Black Caesar, Hell Up In Harlem and Original Gangstas (very under-rated, unfairly so, I thought).

I should get around to getting them on DVD, as my VHS copies are long gone.

Just make sure you buy the R1 releases as BC and HUIH both boast Cohen audio commentaries if i'm not mistaken.:)

ZonaDeCulto 14th April 2010 11:32 PM

Apart from several titles already mentioned in this thread: "Take a hard ride" (a fusion of blaxploitation and western). In fact, anything with Fred Williamson is a treat! :)
And with Pam Grier, of course.

Splatterdragon73 16th April 2010 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZonaDeCulto (Post 74277)
In fact, anything with Fred Williamson is a treat! :)
And with Pam Grier, of course.

You said it and these two rarely fail to entertain where the Blaxploitation genre is concerned.:)

Make Them Die Slowly 20th June 2010 10:14 PM

Though not strictly blaxploitation "Poor Pretty Eddie" is a mind warping tale of racism, rape and country music. Twisted and nasty, it's a little gem of a film that won't disappoint those who like their exploitation on the scuzzy side.

buggenhagen 20th June 2010 11:18 PM

Recommended Blaxploitation films?

Lots of great, great movies have already been mentioned. My favourite director has to be the mighty Jamaa Fanaka, his movies are mindbendingly crazy and have to be checked out. Def try and see Soul Vengeance (aka Welcome Home Brother Charles) and Penitentiary 1 & 2 (I'm sure Penitentiary 3 is awesome too but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet!).

Soul Vengeance is a rape revenge movie and the Penitentiary movies are prison boxing flicks. All highly recommended for any fan of psychotronic cinema!

Splatterdragon73 21st June 2010 09:40 AM

Penitentiary came as a freebie cover DVD with the latest issue of DVD And Blu-Ray World. I have yet to check the copy out though.:)

bdc 21st June 2010 10:46 AM

I hope Code Red will finally be releasing The Black Gestapo soon!
Seems there's a trailer on their newer discs...

They've also recently released two Fred Williamson's:
Death Journey and Mean Johnny Barrows.

Splatterdragon73 21st June 2010 11:41 AM

Got the MJB and DJ DVDs and they do sound promising releases. Just haven't checked 'em out yet. Typical me!

I wouldn't mind seeing The Big Score on DVD among a few other Fred 'The Hammer' Williamson offerings such as The Messenger and Fox Trap.

I still prefer the actor's '70s blaxploitation movies though. Out of all the Williamson titles i've seen his A.I.P. stuff remains most enjoyable to yours truly. Black Ceasar, Hell Up In Harlem and Bucktown are all worthy of repeated viewings. As is the great Three The Hard Way.

Imo the blaxploitation legend delivers a solid performance in Bill Lustig's wonderful Vigilante too.:)