Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd June 2010, 01:11 PM
Cultist in Training

Send a message via MSN to truckturner Send a message via Yahoo to truckturner Send a message via Skype™ to truckturner

Has to be Truck Turner
Old 22nd June 2010, 01:36 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Not sure if they've been mentioned but Brotherhood of Death and Black Gunn are great soul viewing!!

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 24th June 2010, 12:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckturner View Post
Has to be Truck Turner
An absolute Blaxploitation classic 'ol TT. A superbly capable cast, razor sharp dialogue and never a dull moment from start to finish.

"If anyone asks what happened to you, just say you got hit by a truck. Mack 'Truck' Turner!"
Old 18th August 2010, 12:07 PM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

Trouble Man is an excellent film. Its directed by Ivan Dixon, the director of the hugely underrated flick The Spook Who Sat By The Door. Trouble Man is about a black private dick who gets involved with the mob and the cops over a killing at an illegal dice game.

The voice over for the trailer is fantasic worth watching even if the film doesn't sound like your bag.

Old 19th August 2010, 01:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

If anyone gets the chance, they should check out Black Dynamite, currently doing the rounds on selected UK cinemas (although it's been available on R1 DVD for a while).

It's an excellent homage/spoof of early blaxploitation films, and Michael Jai White is brilliantly deadpan in the lead.

While I had the R1 once, I'd hoped that seeing it with an appreciative audience would be a great cinema experience. Sadly of the seven or so in my screening, only a few of us were laughing, the rest seemed more interested in their phones.

Ah well, made me laugh. And if you like (and know) the genre, it's one to check out for sure!

Old 19th August 2010, 03:33 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

hey delirium check out the what films have you seen recently thread. We were talking about this just the other day. It's a fantastic spoof and has some of the funniest one liners and yeah Michael Jai White is brilliantly deadpan...
Old 19th August 2010, 03:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Ah, I've been away, had no idea it'd been talked about on another thread.

Pity you guys weren't my fellow audience. That would have been a great screening!
Old 19th August 2010, 03:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched Black Caesar last night and it is one of the best blaxploitation films I have seen. Brilliant stuff.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 20th August 2010, 10:23 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioZombie View Post
Trouble Man is an excellent film.
It certainly is and Robert Hooks is superb as the titlular character, Mr.T.

There was a nice R1 DVD of this Blaxploitation gem out a few years back and hopefully it's still available.

Apparently, Robert Hooks is the father of Hollywood director Kevin (Passenger 57, Fled) Hooks.

I love the line in TM where Mr.T describes a pair of failed tough guys as "Those two half-assed supern******!"!
Old 20th August 2010, 10:28 AM
Cult Acolyte

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
Watched Black Caesar last night and it is one of the best blaxploitation films I have seen. Brilliant stuff.
Damn right and i enjoy the sequel Hell Up In Harlem, too.

This second entry takes a few more liberties with certain elements of the first film but imo HUIH still ticks all the right Blaxploitation boxes.

Like this? Share it using the links below!