Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   VHS & Exploitation (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=573)
-   -   Recommended Blaxploitation Films? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/vhs-exploitation/2205-recommended-blaxploitation-films.html)

pedromonkey 13th January 2010 06:10 PM

Recommended Blaxploitation Films?

im looking to build up a little blacksploitation collection, so far i have 2

foxy brown
across 110th street

can anyone recomend any titles for me to check out?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th January 2010 06:40 PM

Across 110th Street is one of the best films ever made,not just within the Blaxploitation genre.

Other's I'd recommend are;

BLACULA
SCREAM BLACULA SCREAM
FOXY BROWN
SUPERFLY
SHAFT
COFFY
BIG DOLL HOUSE
FRIDAY FOSTER
SHAFT IN AFRICA
JD'S REVENGE

Not so hot;
ABBY (To be fair,a SHIT quality dvd spoiled the experience).
SHAFT'S BIG SCORE

Not watched yet;
BLACKENSTEIN
DR BLACK MR HYDE

pedromonkey 13th January 2010 07:14 PM

thanks for the recommendations reaper, i have had across 110th street for about a year and have still not seen it, glad its good.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th January 2010 07:18 PM

Superb.Kotto and Quin's performances are absolutely astounding.

vincenzo 13th January 2010 09:44 PM

Cleopatra Jones, Slaughter's Big Rip Off and Candy Tangerine Man are also great fun.

pedromonkey 13th January 2010 09:45 PM

cheers vince. all these titles sound great and amazon are selling them really cheep at the moment. roll on payday.

vincenzo 13th January 2010 09:51 PM

Trouble Man is another gem. Robert Hooks's meanest role.

Cooley High is great fun too. Cotton Comes To Harlem gets some mixed notices but I quite enjoyed it. The sequel (Welcome Back Charleston Blue) isn't as good.

mark meakin 14th January 2010 10:08 AM

Bucktown is also a goodie though OOP and Pick up the Jim Jones films including Black Belt Jones in the newly released Warner 4 movie Urban Action collection.Also features Black Samson,which I've never seen.Terrific value for 4 movies & probably even cheaper elsewhere.
http://www.cdwow.com/DVD/URBAN-ACTIO...ION/dp/6419341

Mansonsblood 14th January 2010 10:55 AM

If you like those, be sure to pick up 'Black Dynamite' as well. It made me howl!

BioZombie 14th January 2010 11:25 AM

The Spook Who Sat by the Door is not only one of the best blacksplotation films ever made but one of my favourite films of all time!!!! Unforunatly the dvd is £33 on amazon market place :(

pedromonkey 14th January 2010 02:53 PM

just picked up Coffy and found that amazon are selling Black Samurai with Jim Kelly for 1.99 brand new.

cheers for all of the suggestions. ive made a wishlist on amazon now.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th January 2010 09:23 PM

Just beware of those 5 disc sets that are doing the rounds-I used to have it.
I'm sure it had The Black Gestapo on it.
The transfers made Vipco releases look like Blu-Rays.:mad:

Splatterdragon73 16th January 2010 12:25 PM

Black Ceasar, Truck Turner, Slaughter, Hammer and Hell Up In Harlem all get the thumbs up from yours truly.

Give I'm Gonna Get You Sucka a try too!:thumb:

Splatterdragon73 16th January 2010 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 57632)
Trouble Man is another gem. Robert Hooks's meanest role. Cotton Comes To Harlem gets some mixed notices but I quite enjoyed it.

TM is indeed well worth a watch and Hooks is superb as Mr.T (no, not that one!). CCTH isn't too bad imo but not a patch on some of the blaxploitation classics mentioned in previous posts.:)

mark meakin 25th January 2010 11:18 AM

Review of the Urban Action Collection.Mine came last week & it's highly recommended.:-
http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/e...rban747576.htm

robertzombie 25th March 2010 11:51 PM

Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiki
According to Variety, it demonstrated to Hollywood that films which portrayed "militant" blacks could be highly profitable, leading to the creation of the blaxploitation genre, although the film itself is not commonly considered to be an exploitation film.

Up to you :D

bdc 26th March 2010 10:14 AM

I think the craziest I've ever seen (lots of fun) is Darktown Strutters...
http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/index.jsp?cid=281748

kingofwitches666 2nd April 2010 05:02 AM

Truck Turner always gets my vote, Isaac Hayes at his finest. Killer soundtrack, better than Shaft.

Definitely check out Hit Man (1972). It's basically the blaxploitation version of Get Carter starring Bernie Casey & Pam Grier. I picked up a copy for about £6 on Ebay a while ago along with a copy of Dr Black, Mr Hyde. :thumb:

I also recommend buying a copy of Fab Press's wonderful book: Blaxploitation Cinema - The Essential Reference Guide. Pretty much a bible on the subject and a great read, very well researched. :rockon:

DeadAlive 2nd April 2010 10:37 AM

I prefer Truck Turner to Shaft also, though I only make the connection because of Isaac Hayes.

As a side note, even though I'm a fan of Samuel L Jackson's films I'd avoid the remake of Shaft like the plague. :ack:

vincenzo 2nd April 2010 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadAlive (Post 71186)
As a side note, even though I'm a fan of Samuel L Jackson's films I'd avoid the remake of Shaft like the plague

Yes I agree. Absolutely awful and completely pointless.

Out of interest which of the 3 Shaft films do people prefer? The original, Big Score or In Africa.

Gojirosan 2nd April 2010 10:50 AM

I'm very fond of Larry Cohen's Blaxploitation trilogy: Black Caesar, Hell Up In Harlem and Original Gangstas (very under-rated, unfairly so, I thought).

I should get around to getting them on DVD, as my VHS copies are long gone.

Splatterdragon73 3rd April 2010 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingofwitches666 (Post 71155)
Truck Turner always gets my vote, Isaac Hayes at his finest. Killer soundtrack, better than Shaft.:thumb:

I also recommend buying a copy of Fab Press's wonderful book: Blaxploitation Cinema - The Essential Reference Guide. Pretty much a bible on the subject and a great read, very well researched. :rockon:

I agree on both.

TT is brilliant blaxploitation with Issac Hayes on top form and a fine supporting cast.

Also, the aforementioned FAB Press tome is well worth a purchase. Great book and a great buy!:thumb:

Splatterdragon73 3rd April 2010 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 71193)
I'm very fond of Larry Cohen's Blaxploitation trilogy: Black Caesar, Hell Up In Harlem and Original Gangstas (very under-rated, unfairly so, I thought).

I should get around to getting them on DVD, as my VHS copies are long gone.

Just make sure you buy the R1 releases as BC and HUIH both boast Cohen audio commentaries if i'm not mistaken.:)

ZonaDeCulto 14th April 2010 11:32 PM

Apart from several titles already mentioned in this thread: "Take a hard ride" (a fusion of blaxploitation and western). In fact, anything with Fred Williamson is a treat! :)
And with Pam Grier, of course.

Splatterdragon73 16th April 2010 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZonaDeCulto (Post 74277)
In fact, anything with Fred Williamson is a treat! :)
And with Pam Grier, of course.

You said it and these two rarely fail to entertain where the Blaxploitation genre is concerned.:)

Make Them Die Slowly 20th June 2010 10:14 PM

Though not strictly blaxploitation "Poor Pretty Eddie" is a mind warping tale of racism, rape and country music. Twisted and nasty, it's a little gem of a film that won't disappoint those who like their exploitation on the scuzzy side.

buggenhagen 20th June 2010 11:18 PM

Recommended Blaxploitation films?

Lots of great, great movies have already been mentioned. My favourite director has to be the mighty Jamaa Fanaka, his movies are mindbendingly crazy and have to be checked out. Def try and see Soul Vengeance (aka Welcome Home Brother Charles) and Penitentiary 1 & 2 (I'm sure Penitentiary 3 is awesome too but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet!).

Soul Vengeance is a rape revenge movie and the Penitentiary movies are prison boxing flicks. All highly recommended for any fan of psychotronic cinema!

Splatterdragon73 21st June 2010 09:40 AM

Penitentiary came as a freebie cover DVD with the latest issue of DVD And Blu-Ray World. I have yet to check the copy out though.:)

bdc 21st June 2010 10:46 AM

I hope Code Red will finally be releasing The Black Gestapo soon!
Seems there's a trailer on their newer discs...

They've also recently released two Fred Williamson's:
Death Journey and Mean Johnny Barrows.

Splatterdragon73 21st June 2010 11:41 AM

Got the MJB and DJ DVDs and they do sound promising releases. Just haven't checked 'em out yet. Typical me!

I wouldn't mind seeing The Big Score on DVD among a few other Fred 'The Hammer' Williamson offerings such as The Messenger and Fox Trap.

I still prefer the actor's '70s blaxploitation movies though. Out of all the Williamson titles i've seen his A.I.P. stuff remains most enjoyable to yours truly. Black Ceasar, Hell Up In Harlem and Bucktown are all worthy of repeated viewings. As is the great Three The Hard Way.

Imo the blaxploitation legend delivers a solid performance in Bill Lustig's wonderful Vigilante too.:)

truckturner 22nd June 2010 01:11 PM

Has to be Truck Turner

Philleh 22nd June 2010 01:36 PM

Not sure if they've been mentioned but Brotherhood of Death and Black Gunn are great soul viewing!!

Splatterdragon73 24th June 2010 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckturner (Post 88112)
Has to be Truck Turner

An absolute Blaxploitation classic 'ol TT. A superbly capable cast, razor sharp dialogue and never a dull moment from start to finish.;)

"If anyone asks what happened to you, just say you got hit by a truck. Mack 'Truck' Turner!"

BioZombie 18th August 2010 12:07 PM

Trouble Man is an excellent film. Its directed by Ivan Dixon, the director of the hugely underrated flick The Spook Who Sat By The Door. Trouble Man is about a black private dick who gets involved with the mob and the cops over a killing at an illegal dice game.

The voice over for the trailer is fantasic worth watching even if the film doesn't sound like your bag.

YouTube - Trouble Man (1972) trailer

Delirium 19th August 2010 01:23 PM

If anyone gets the chance, they should check out Black Dynamite, currently doing the rounds on selected UK cinemas (although it's been available on R1 DVD for a while).

It's an excellent homage/spoof of early blaxploitation films, and Michael Jai White is brilliantly deadpan in the lead.

While I had the R1 once, I'd hoped that seeing it with an appreciative audience would be a great cinema experience. Sadly of the seven or so in my screening, only a few of us were laughing, the rest seemed more interested in their phones.

Ah well, made me laugh. And if you like (and know) the genre, it's one to check out for sure!

Black Dynamite HD Trailer

pedromonkey 19th August 2010 03:33 PM

hey delirium check out the what films have you seen recently thread. We were talking about this just the other day. It's a fantastic spoof and has some of the funniest one liners and yeah Michael Jai White is brilliantly deadpan...

Delirium 19th August 2010 03:46 PM

Ah, I've been away, had no idea it'd been talked about on another thread.

Pity you guys weren't my fellow audience. That would have been a great screening!

Pete 19th August 2010 03:55 PM

Watched Black Caesar last night and it is one of the best blaxploitation films I have seen. Brilliant stuff.

Splatterdragon73 20th August 2010 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 97612)
Trouble Man is an excellent film.

It certainly is and Robert Hooks is superb as the titlular character, Mr.T.

There was a nice R1 DVD of this Blaxploitation gem out a few years back and hopefully it's still available.

Apparently, Robert Hooks is the father of Hollywood director Kevin (Passenger 57, Fled) Hooks.

I love the line in TM where Mr.T describes a pair of failed tough guys as "Those two half-assed supern******!"!:lol:

Splatterdragon73 20th August 2010 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 97728)
Watched Black Caesar last night and it is one of the best blaxploitation films I have seen. Brilliant stuff.

Damn right and i enjoy the sequel Hell Up In Harlem, too.

This second entry takes a few more liberties with certain elements of the first film but imo HUIH still ticks all the right Blaxploitation boxes.:)