Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The VHS Vaults (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   Favourite artwork covers in the old tape collection? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/vhs-vaults/112-favourite-artwork-covers-old-tape-collection.html)

Sobral 10th April 2014 10:08 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...83953439_n.jpg

Got about 20 tapes in the mail today, the artwork for The Asphyx really stood out, especially the back.

Dan Jarron 15th September 2014 05:44 PM

I'm rather fond of the sleaziness of the old VHS covers. Two I have on my shelf right now which fit as sleazy favorite covers are:

Doctor Butcher M.D. (perhaps one of the few times the cover is not as sleazy as the movie)

Return of the Zombies (really sleazy cover, but the movie is too)

gag 15th September 2014 07:45 PM

Cover from Alien factor looks like a old Dr who creature .:nod:

Vipp 15th September 2014 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 417711)
Cover from Alien factor looks like a old Dr who creature .:nod:

THAT FILM LOOKS SO GOOD I NEED TO FIND IT ON VHS FOR THE ART WORK! That is exactly the sort of VHS i would shit my pants with excitement buying on the flea market for a £1! I'm so glad i grew up in this ere, Art work so rarely ever looks so good now. (arrow do a good job but it's just not the same)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th September 2014 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipp (Post 417722)
THAT FILM LOOKS SO GOOD I NEED TO FIND IT ON VHS FOR THE ART WORK! That is exactly the sort of VHS i would shit my pants with excitement buying on the flea market for a £1! I'm so glad i grew up in this ere, Art work so rarely ever looks so good now. (arrow do a good job but it's just not the same)

I watched it not long ago.

Vipp 15th September 2014 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 417730)

Biz where did you find that art work? i like both! eBay has nothing! i must own this VHS!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th September 2014 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipp (Post 417733)
Biz where did you find that art work? i like both! eBay has nothing! i must own this VHS!

It's the default poster they have up for it on Letterboxd.

Vipp 15th September 2014 09:30 PM

So you don't have a copy of the film mate? is it on Youtube or did you acquire it?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th September 2014 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipp (Post 417737)
So you don't have a copy of the film mate? is it on Youtube or did you acquire it?

No, I watched it on ye olde 'Tube, mate.

gag 16th September 2014 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipp (Post 417722)

99% of old films rereleased Artwork is rubbish in comparison to original.even a deccent artwork still doesnt excite me as much compared to the vhs yrs. i mean lets face it was the artwork to some films that grabbed our attention. some fantastic artwork from years ago. its like their heart or interest of creating good artwork isnt there.
like most ppl i got rid of my old vhs , still have some but wish i hadnt threw out what i had and kept them.. threads like this every now and again ppl put up pics of odd films that you totaly had forgot all about and there for threads like this are great and also helps you bring back old memories.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 19th September 2014 07:51 PM

:clap::clap:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th October 2014 08:33 PM

42 Attachment(s)
Some nice non-horror THORN EMI sleeves.
MANY of which haven't even seen the light of day on DVD,never mind Blu!

Apologies for any dupes!:)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th October 2014 08:35 PM

Paul@theoverlook,you were a video shop manager.

Were there many of these old EMI titles still on the shelf for rental by then,or was it mostly that straight to video '90's crap by then?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th October 2014 08:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
They switched from smaller cases in the mid eighties to the larger cases,and also changed their logo slightly.

If I remember correctly RAZORBACK and WILD GEESE II were first to feature the new case and logo.

What cases/logo did you older members prefer?

When they switched to the big cases,I think that left only CIC VIDEO with the smaller cases,who mostly handled Paramount's output.

Paul@TheOverlook 6th October 2014 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 420257)
Paul@theoverlook,you were a video shop manager.

Were there many of these old EMI titles still on the shelf for rental by then,or was it mostly that straight to video '90's crap by then?

Some of the more well-known titles were still in out stores, the second and third Halloween films, The Dead Zone, Firestarter, Dune, etc. Some stores would have the occasional classic like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Life of Brian or Deer Hunter. Fairly common.

I worked in one store from 1991-1996, just as counter staff. I ran another store for 8 or 9 months before becoming field management and my job took me around all the stores in London and Surrey. By the end of my time working there and the start of the millennium I was putting together libraries for new stores so I would see some pre-certs but they became fewer and further between - I guess all those years of use took their toll and many of the tapes were binned.

gag 6th October 2014 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 420254)
Some nice non-horror THORN EMI sleeves.
MANY of which haven't even seen the light of day on DVD,never mind Blu!

Apologies for any dupes!:)

Restless natives & Catholic boys I think are 2 underated films .

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th October 2014 10:17 PM

They are mate,and both Optimums dvds are well worth seeking out.:nod:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th October 2014 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@TheOverlook (Post 420268)
Some of the more well-known titles were still in out stores, the second and third Halloween films, The Dead Zone, Firestarter, Dune, etc. Some stores would have the occasional classic like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Life of Brian or Deer Hunter. Fairly common.

I worked in one store from 1991-1996, just as counter staff. I ran another store for 8 or 9 months before becoming field management and my job took me around all the stores in London and Surrey. By the end of my time working there and the start of the millennium I was putting together libraries for new stores so I would see some pre-certs but they became fewer and further between - I guess all those years of use took their toll and many of the tapes were binned.

Yeah some of the most battered and bruised covers belonged to Halloween II and III.
I guess they were big renters! Children of the Corn was another.

Did you ever come across an old Alpha Intervision cardboard cover chopped up and stuck in a big Warner style padded case?

I remember Shivers and Rabid I think it was having this done in almost every shop in our town.
The first release of Dawn of the Dead may also have come in a cardboard version (Though I may be wrong!) Thirty years is a long time!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th October 2014 10:27 PM

Here's a treat for all you old gits!
Remember this?

THORN EMI TRAILERS - YouTube

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th October 2014 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 420282)
They are mate,and both Optimums dvds are well worth seeking out.:nod:

It just shows how rights issues change over the years. Especially when a company no longer exists or has been taken over. Of your Thorn covers some are Optimum releases now others are with Network and i'm sure other companies will have others.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th October 2014 10:31 PM

Here's another-with some of the later titles....

Trailers from Morons from Outer Space (Betamax, Thorn EMI, 1986) - YouTube

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th October 2014 10:40 PM

Ah old Betamax-the Blu Ray of it's day!:cool:

1983 Sony Beta hi-fi Demonstration - YouTube

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th October 2014 10:48 PM

Shall we take a trip down memory lane?

70's and 80's VHS Distribution Logos.mov - YouTube

Paul@TheOverlook 6th October 2014 10:49 PM

Favourite artwork covers in the old tape collection?

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 420283)

Did you ever come across an old Alpha Intervision cardboard cover chopped up and stuck in a big Warner style padded case?

I remember Shivers and Rabid I think it was having this done in almost every shop in our town.

The first release of Dawn of the Dead may also have come in a cardboard version (Though I may be wrong!) Thirty years is a long time!

All the time but never at work. In other shops when my mates and I would go on "hunts" for stuff to buy. Those first CIC releases (from 1981 - stuff like Death Wish, Animal House, Dracula '79 and the Blues Brothers were often like that too).

There was definitely a Dawn of the Dead in a cardboard case. I had one. It was under the title Zombies: Dawn of the Dead.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th October 2014 10:50 PM

Here on Beta.....

Dawn of the Dead | BETAMAX | Intervision [UK] - YouTube

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th October 2014 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@TheOverlook (Post 420290)
All the time but never at work. In other shops when my mates and I would go on "hunts" for stuff to buy. Those first CIC releases (from 1981 - stuff like Death Wish, Animal House, Dracula '71 and the Blues Brothers were often like that too).

There was definitely a Dawn of the Dead in a cardboard case. I had one. It was under the title Zombies: Dawn of the Dead.

Yep,remember ANIMAL HOUSE in the old cardboard job.
Christ,did the video companies really think those covers would stand the test of time?:lol:

Paul@TheOverlook 6th October 2014 11:03 PM

Favourite artwork covers in the old tape collection?

They ended up becoming the norm for the American sell thru market. Mental.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd August 2017 04:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Came across this nice vhs of The Longest Day whilst doing some sorting.

Gorgeous textured box with a 20 page book and poster reproduction.

That will be stopping in the collection.

Demoncrat 22nd August 2017 06:17 PM

My Animal House is in the split cardboard/big case.

I have a film called Logan (Donald Pleasance film) in a decent cardboard case ;)

Susan Foreman 2nd November 2017 05:57 PM

Forget pointless things like a cast list and a synopsis - why not put an advert for two completely different films on the back of the case!

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...d5&oe=5A649A94

platostotal 2nd November 2017 06:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
For me it was the Evil Dead big box releases (I still have Evil Dead 2 big box VHS somewhere) no. 2 came in a tan embossed plastic case and looks great.

MrBarlow 27th November 2017 07:04 PM

6 Attachment(s)
some that i liked from the 80s

trebor8273 27th November 2017 08:30 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Here are some

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th November 2017 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platostotal (Post 556378)
For me it was the Evil Dead big box releases (I still have Evil Dead 2 big box VHS somewhere) no. 2 came in a tan embossed plastic case and looks great.

STILL the best EVIL DEAD artwork EVER.

The first is ICONIC.:nod:

Susan Foreman 21st August 2019 05:41 PM

Not one I own, but...

Shurely shome mistake

Spanish VHS cover for Bava's 'Demons', with added Peter Cushing!

Almar@Cult Labs 22nd August 2019 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 609772)
Not one I own, but...

Shurely shome mistake

Spanish VHS cover for Bava's 'Demons', with added Peter Cushing!

That artwork would get rejected by the supermarkets now... :nono: