Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The VHS Vaults (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   Favourite artwork covers in the old tape collection? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/vhs-vaults/112-favourite-artwork-covers-old-tape-collection.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 18th January 2008 11:20 PM

Favourite artwork covers in the old tape collection?

What was your favourite artwork on the old video covers?
Favourites of mine include;
THE SQUEEZE (WARNER)
RAZORBACK EMI
DEATH TRAP VIPCO
NIGHT OF THE ZOMBIES APPLE
CHILDREN OF THE CORN EMI
THE DEAD ZONE EMI
VIDEODROME CIC

vincenzo 18th January 2008 11:44 PM

Happy Birthday To Me (RCA/Columbia - the DVD is appalling and edited) http://shameless-films.com/forums/im...milies/mad.gif
The Last Hunter (Elephant)
Kingdom Of The Spiders (Apex)
Swamp Thing (Warner)

The reason I mentioned these is because they're all in front of me at the moment. :)

snipsmovies 19th January 2008 12:41 PM

Great thread - I'm a Charlie Band collector, and some of his early covers from the Empire days are mouthwaterngly iconic

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...HL._AA240_.jpg

Sarah@Cult Labs 20th January 2008 11:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My fave has always been this one for Deadly Blessing (Wes Craven, 1981). It's not that great but I think it might be because it's the first VHS I tracked down on eBay. It's just had a DVD release in the UK and I've got a copy but I love my VHS too much to chuck it!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 21st January 2008 11:28 PM

Berryman....that is the reason HILLS/HILLS 2 covers were so cool...the arrow release dvd artwork made it look like a Leprechaun film:D:rolleyes:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 7th February 2008 08:49 PM

BLOODBATH AT THE HOUSE OF DEATH,now there is a corker of a poster,as i say iused to have the thorn-emi video release poster,anyone remember their posters?They had 'the side ' of the video cassette sleeve down the side and were bordered with a colour,usually red....oh happy days eh:rolleyes:wish someone would release it ahem ahem.........

Hey marc you got any old emi video posters in the dungeon m8?How about some images for old times sakes.....

Almar@Cult Labs 7th February 2008 11:59 PM

Yes wouldn't it be nice if someone did release it... :)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th February 2008 05:41 PM

Sure would and hopefully in the near future;)I love all things of a british horror nature,even this spoof,a guilty pleasure of mine....:blush:

Absurd 9th February 2008 01:14 PM

Some of my faves were The Amazing Mr No Legs from Temple, Don't Answer The Phone from WOV2000 and The Devonsville Terror from (if memory serves) VTC

DATP has had a good release from BCI, Anchor Bay did a passable job of Devonsville, but Mr No Legs NEEDS to be released by one of the major cult players, Synapse, BU, NoShame. Hey, here's an idea, how about Shameless? If ever there was a title to put a company on the map, this would be THE standout title. The net is awash with ropey 3rd gen bootlegs on DVDr, how about a nice, spanking clean remastered print, with a commentary track with cast/crew and Marc Morris? Being as the film is virtually unknown outside of its tiny core demographic audience, the rights to buy it up should be miniscule, but the profits returned could be astronomical.

Something to bear in mind for the future perhaps? Instead of releasing titles that are widely available overseas, why not aim for titles that aren't readily available anywhere and master them all to Region 0 NTSC discs? That way they're universal, all that needs to alter is the sleeve. Up to now I think that you're doing a bang up job, any company that can get Flavia and NY Ripper past the BBFC deserves both attention and respect, not to mention money. Let's hope that when the coffers are suitably swelled we'll start to see some original product.

Just out of curiosity, how do you/will you decide on forthcoming releases? Do you poll or ask for feedback etc? What is the criteria?

Almar@Cult Labs 9th February 2008 03:57 PM

We've had a few thoughts on things like do double-sided discs with NTSC versions on the other side and so on but really it's all a bit dodgy copyrightwise.

As for picking titles we had a pile to work through which we're doing, had another pile to go which the prices have now soared on so we're out and about shopping! The plan was always two titles a month and have one well-known title (which yes you get on import but would be available in the shops to try and kickstart a new generation of fans) and then a rarity which would be a treat for fans.

That's actually harder to do due to materials you discover are actually piles of rubble, a lack of money compared to US companies who have set formidable presentation standards which we somehow have to try and match in a market at least a tenth of the size if not less as they get to enjoy worldwise sales, no staff to speak of and the desire to buy only your favourite films!

We do read through every suggestion on this site so please suggest away. It's incredible how hard it can bo to buy films though due to crazy prices, lack of materials and rights owners suddenly coming out of nowhere but we should have the next wave of releases to announce soon. We are though picking our way through the catalogues right now so suggest away!