Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > The VHS Vaults

Poll: Whch label next?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Whch label next?

Like Tree213Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th June 2019, 10:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I remember looking through little catalogues like that as a kid, but I’m sure they were from around 1987 because films like Robocop, Predator and the first 3 Elm Street films were in them, can’t remember where they came from though
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 19th June 2019, 10:06 PM
Cult Addict

I used to get those from a local video shop i'm sure and pretty much read up on everything that was being released at the time.
Demoncrat likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 20th June 2019, 01:46 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
The catalogue I'm thinking of was approx 8'' x 3'' and was dark blue.
The latest release in were (I'm sure) WILD GEESE 2,RAZORBACK,CHILDREN OF THE CORN,THE DEAD ZONE and maybe BLOODBATH AT THE HOUSE OF DEATH.

I'm sure Almar from on here was going to pay a fortune on ebay for aone a few years back.....

Anyway-anyone remember these?
Or am I showing my age?
I think I'm showing my age by remembering them even The Karate Kid part 2 advertisement, the video shop we had in our area had a cardboard stand of it in the window
Old 20th June 2019, 06:59 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Can’t have been for a video release because the footage wasn’t officially released until 2004, I know it was planned but the band (*cough Steve Harris cough*) weren’t happy with the quality of it due to it being too dark, so the idea was scrapped from pretty much the start.
Unless I’m mistaken that is, I was only 4 at the time and didn’t become a fan until 1989

Edit: Video Pieces came out in 83, but that was released by PMI
All the artwork , promo , ads etc were done for the release and then it was pulled - i have seen reviews etc and alternate cover , but am looking for the cover with Eddie standing over Hammersmith Odeon / flyover which was advertised in Video catalogues etc back in early 1983 - might not just be in a Thorn EMI one could be in generic ones back then too.
This so far seems to be the rarest Derek Riggs artwork for Maiden.
The first official release of any of that footage was on the 12 Wasted Years video which came out in 1987, the full footage that was intended to be the 1983 release was as you say on the Early Days Part 1 release in 2004.
Old 20th June 2019, 07:41 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pml1970 View Post
All the artwork , promo , ads etc were done for the release and then it was pulled - i have seen reviews etc and alternate cover , but am looking for the cover with Eddie standing over Hammersmith Odeon / flyover which was advertised in Video catalogues etc back in early 1983 - might not just be in a Thorn EMI one could be in generic ones back then too.

This so far seems to be the rarest Derek Riggs artwork for Maiden.

The first official release of any of that footage was on the 12 Wasted Years video which came out in 1987, the full footage that was intended to be the 1983 release was as you say on the Early Days Part 1 release in 2004.

I’d be interested to see this because the only artwork I’m aware of is the one used for the CD cover etc, hope you find it because I’m definitely intrigued now
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 20th June 2019, 08:37 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I’d be interested to see this because the only artwork I’m aware of is the one used for the CD cover etc, hope you find it because I’m definitely intrigued now
Part of the one i'm looking for and alternative.

The artwork on the CD cover was the artwork from the Tour Shirts & programme back in 1982

(been a Maiden fan since 1980 !!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IRON MAIDEN LIVE AT HAMMERSMITH.jpg (32.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 9gf12q.jpg (93.3 KB, 11 views)
Rik likes this.
Old 16th June 2020, 09:12 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Thorn EMI was a major British company involved in consumer electronics, music, defence and retail. Created in October 1979 when Thorn Electrical Industries merged with EMI, it was listed on the London Stock Exchange and was once a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index but it demerged back to separate companies in 1996.

Retail and rental

Radio Rentals, DER (Domestic Electric Rentals Ltd) and Rumbelows (which was sold in 1995) Rent-A-Center.

Big Brown Box was launched in Australia in 2008 by Thorn and was later sold to Appliances Online, subsidiary of Winning Appliances in 2011. The site was an online retailer of AV equipment, consumer electronics and appliances.

The EMI label expanded greatly as part of Thorn EMI. In 1989 Thorn EMI bought a 50% interest in Chrysalis Records, buying the outstanding 50% in 1991. In one of its highest-profile and most expensive acquisitions, Thorn EMI took over Richard Branson's Virgin Records in 1992.

Consumer electronics

Ferguson Radio Corporation was owned by Thorn EMI and it made consumer electronics such as TV sets, radios. TVs were designed and manufactured by Ferguson in the UK until around the early 1990s, although before this, some Thomson-designed models were introduced to the Ferguson range of TVs for sale in the UK. Some of these Thomson-based models were even manufactured in the UK, although in later years these models were made outside the UK by Thomson.

By 1992, the Ferguson TV factory in Gosport had closed, ending a long period of manufacturing of Ferguson TVs in the UK.

VCRs were sourced until the early 1990s by a joint company called J2T, established by JVC, Thorn (Ferguson) and Telefunken. From around 1991, VCRs were sourced from Thomson alone.

One important aspect of Thorn EMI's business was its ability to manufacture, say, one of its Ferguson televisions and then to make it available for rental through its rentals sector

The newly merged company continued the film interests EMI had acquired over the preceding decade; these had included the former Associated British Picture Corporation and their facilities at Elstree Studios, Shenley Road, Borehamwood.

Thorn EMI Video was established in 1981. Thorn EMI released films on video from various film companies including Orion Pictures (First Blood, The Terminator), New Line Cinema (The Evil Dead, Xtro), and Universal (Bad Boys, Frances) in the 1980s.

Thorn EMI joined HBO in November 1984 to create Thorn EMI/HBO Video.[9] In 1986, Cannon Films bought Thorn EMI Screen Entertainment (see EMI Films) and the film library, although Cannon sold the latter in 1987. HBO maintained an involvement the video company, which became HBO/Cannon Video. Cannon left operations and the company was eventually just called HBO Video in 1987.
nosferatu42 likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 16th June 2020, 09:18 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

American video promo?

MrBarlow likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 16th June 2020, 09:20 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.

Old 16th June 2020, 09:21 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Like this? Share it using the links below!