Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The VHS Vaults (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   THORN EMI VIDEO VAULTS (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/vhs-vaults/12949-thorn-emi-video-vaults.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 3rd May 2017 07:09 PM

A lot of thought went into Twisted Nerve eh? :lol:

Venom is another great cover....simple,but so effective.

XTRO is a classic which is coming to Ltd Ed German BD in June.

And old Zoltan.....I actually really enjoyed Drac's old hound.
Sure I first saw it on a late BBC showing when I was a pup.....

Anyway...what label next?
Want to know more?

See the Poll!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 3rd May 2017 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 531713)
'Scrubbers' was a female version of 'Scum' - the story of life inside a girls borstal

It starred Honey Bane, who also had a short lived career as a punk singer, managed by Jimmy Pursey (from 'Sham 69'), and best remembered for the hit single 'Turn Me On, Turn Me Off' which reached #37 in the chart but resulted in an appearance on 'Top Of The Pops' and a 'Smash Hits' back cover picture

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...bd3a367f96.jpg

'Scrubbers', distributed by Handmade Films, also featured a number of big and up-and-coming stars including Kathy Burke, Pam St. Clement, Robbie Coltrane and Miriam Margolyes

Scrubbers is pretty entertaining.:nod:

Demoncrat 3rd May 2017 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 531716)
A lot of thought went into Twisted Nerve eh? :lol:

Venom is another great cover....simple,but so effective.

XTRO is a classic which is coming to Ltd Ed German BD in June.

And old Zoltan.....I actually really enjoyed Drac's old hound.
Sure I first saw it on a late BBC showing when I was a pup.....

Anyway...what label next?
Want to know more?

See the Poll!

But it would have lured unsuspecting Shelly fans at the time ;)

Loved Scrubbers and am looking at Supergirl as I type :laugh:

keirarts 4th May 2017 12:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Soldier also released as codename the soldier. Really want this to get a proper release...

Attachment 190216

TYTDReviews 14th June 2018 08:56 AM

I completely agree on the cover front! there precert release of "Halloween 3" is the best cover that films ever had! (Even if the films cut to within an inch of its life!) :axekiller:

keirarts 27th April 2019 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 531799)
Soldier also released as codename the soldier. Really want this to get a proper release...

Attachment 190216

Update. Kino released this in America. Lovely looking transfer, widescreen and bonus features. If you can play region A grab it.

pml1970 19th June 2019 01:31 PM

Anyone have a Thorn EMI video catalogue from early 1983 with an advert for The Beast Live/ Over Hammersmith by Iron Maiden ?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 19th June 2019 08:46 PM

Christ now there's a collector's item.

I had stacks of old catalogues in my ma's loft until one of my dildo brothers decided on a clearout.....:rolleyes:

Rik 19th June 2019 08:55 PM

THORN EMI VIDEO VAULTS

Quote:

Originally Posted by pml1970 (Post 605675)
Anyone have a Thorn EMI video catalogue from early 1983 with an advert for The Beast Live/ Over Hammersmith by Iron Maiden ?

Can’t have been for a video release because the footage wasn’t officially released until 2004, I know it was planned but the band (*cough Steve Harris cough*) weren’t happy with the quality of it due to it being too dark, so the idea was scrapped from pretty much the start.
Unless I’m mistaken that is, I was only 4 at the time and didn’t become a fan until 1989 :nod:

Edit: Video Pieces came out in 83, but that was released by PMI

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 19th June 2019 09:55 PM

17 Attachment(s)
The catalogue I'm thinking of was approx 8'' x 3'' and was dark blue.
The latest release in were (I'm sure) WILD GEESE 2,RAZORBACK,CHILDREN OF THE CORN,THE DEAD ZONE and maybe BLOODBATH AT THE HOUSE OF DEATH.

I'm sure Almar from on here was going to pay a fortune on ebay for aone a few years back.....

Anyway-anyone remember these?
Or am I showing my age? :tongue1:

Rik 19th June 2019 10:00 PM

I remember looking through little catalogues like that as a kid, but I’m sure they were from around 1987 because films like Robocop, Predator and the first 3 Elm Street films were in them, can’t remember where they came from though

nosferatu42 19th June 2019 10:06 PM

I used to get those from a local video shop i'm sure and pretty much read up on everything that was being released at the time.:cool:

MrBarlow 20th June 2019 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 605729)
The catalogue I'm thinking of was approx 8'' x 3'' and was dark blue.
The latest release in were (I'm sure) WILD GEESE 2,RAZORBACK,CHILDREN OF THE CORN,THE DEAD ZONE and maybe BLOODBATH AT THE HOUSE OF DEATH.

I'm sure Almar from on here was going to pay a fortune on ebay for aone a few years back.....

Anyway-anyone remember these?
Or am I showing my age? :tongue1:

I think I'm showing my age by remembering them even The Karate Kid part 2 advertisement, the video shop we had in our area had a cardboard stand of it in the window

pml1970 20th June 2019 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 605719)
Can’t have been for a video release because the footage wasn’t officially released until 2004, I know it was planned but the band (*cough Steve Harris cough*) weren’t happy with the quality of it due to it being too dark, so the idea was scrapped from pretty much the start.
Unless I’m mistaken that is, I was only 4 at the time and didn’t become a fan until 1989 :nod:

Edit: Video Pieces came out in 83, but that was released by PMI

All the artwork , promo , ads etc were done for the release and then it was pulled - i have seen reviews etc and alternate cover , but am looking for the cover with Eddie standing over Hammersmith Odeon / flyover which was advertised in Video catalogues etc back in early 1983 - might not just be in a Thorn EMI one could be in generic ones back then too.
This so far seems to be the rarest Derek Riggs artwork for Maiden.
The first official release of any of that footage was on the 12 Wasted Years video which came out in 1987, the full footage that was intended to be the 1983 release was as you say on the Early Days Part 1 release in 2004.

Rik 20th June 2019 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pml1970 (Post 605752)
All the artwork , promo , ads etc were done for the release and then it was pulled - i have seen reviews etc and alternate cover , but am looking for the cover with Eddie standing over Hammersmith Odeon / flyover which was advertised in Video catalogues etc back in early 1983 - might not just be in a Thorn EMI one could be in generic ones back then too.

This so far seems to be the rarest Derek Riggs artwork for Maiden.

The first official release of any of that footage was on the 12 Wasted Years video which came out in 1987, the full footage that was intended to be the 1983 release was as you say on the Early Days Part 1 release in 2004.

I’d be interested to see this because the only artwork I’m aware of is the one used for the CD cover etc, hope you find it because I’m definitely intrigued now :nod:

pml1970 20th June 2019 08:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 605753)
I’d be interested to see this because the only artwork I’m aware of is the one used for the CD cover etc, hope you find it because I’m definitely intrigued now :nod:

Part of the one i'm looking for and alternative.

The artwork on the CD cover was the artwork from the Tour Shirts & programme back in 1982

(been a Maiden fan since 1980 !!)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th June 2020 09:12 PM

Thorn EMI was a major British company involved in consumer electronics, music, defence and retail. Created in October 1979 when Thorn Electrical Industries merged with EMI, it was listed on the London Stock Exchange and was once a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index but it demerged back to separate companies in 1996.

Retail and rental

Radio Rentals, DER (Domestic Electric Rentals Ltd) and Rumbelows (which was sold in 1995) Rent-A-Center.

Big Brown Box was launched in Australia in 2008 by Thorn and was later sold to Appliances Online, subsidiary of Winning Appliances in 2011. The site was an online retailer of AV equipment, consumer electronics and appliances.

The EMI label expanded greatly as part of Thorn EMI. In 1989 Thorn EMI bought a 50% interest in Chrysalis Records, buying the outstanding 50% in 1991. In one of its highest-profile and most expensive acquisitions, Thorn EMI took over Richard Branson's Virgin Records in 1992.

Consumer electronics

Ferguson Radio Corporation was owned by Thorn EMI and it made consumer electronics such as TV sets, radios. TVs were designed and manufactured by Ferguson in the UK until around the early 1990s, although before this, some Thomson-designed models were introduced to the Ferguson range of TVs for sale in the UK. Some of these Thomson-based models were even manufactured in the UK, although in later years these models were made outside the UK by Thomson.

By 1992, the Ferguson TV factory in Gosport had closed, ending a long period of manufacturing of Ferguson TVs in the UK.

VCRs were sourced until the early 1990s by a joint company called J2T, established by JVC, Thorn (Ferguson) and Telefunken. From around 1991, VCRs were sourced from Thomson alone.

One important aspect of Thorn EMI's business was its ability to manufacture, say, one of its Ferguson televisions and then to make it available for rental through its rentals sector

The newly merged company continued the film interests EMI had acquired over the preceding decade; these had included the former Associated British Picture Corporation and their facilities at Elstree Studios, Shenley Road, Borehamwood.

Thorn EMI Video was established in 1981. Thorn EMI released films on video from various film companies including Orion Pictures (First Blood, The Terminator), New Line Cinema (The Evil Dead, Xtro), and Universal (Bad Boys, Frances) in the 1980s.

Thorn EMI joined HBO in November 1984 to create Thorn EMI/HBO Video.[9] In 1986, Cannon Films bought Thorn EMI Screen Entertainment (see EMI Films) and the film library, although Cannon sold the latter in 1987. HBO maintained an involvement the video company, which became HBO/Cannon Video. Cannon left operations and the company was eventually just called HBO Video in 1987.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th June 2020 09:18 PM

American video promo?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul6hkDz63AU

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th June 2020 09:20 PM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc2s06xVJ2Y

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th June 2020 09:21 PM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnPqXvCOeRw

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th June 2020 09:23 PM

Thorn Emi Oz......

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpait_2je54

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th June 2020 09:25 PM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhUSCUDZXl0

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th June 2020 09:27 PM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDCeLAFj7Cs

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th June 2020 09:30 PM

This was probably their most common reel on UK tapes.....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlmMlupv32c

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th June 2020 09:32 PM

A bit of tracking needed here!:lol:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ztRlm7eC6k

MrBarlow 16th June 2020 09:34 PM

:lol: Think this was on The Dark Crystal tape that i wore out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul6hkDz63AU

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th June 2020 09:34 PM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa27uJsUDec

prjs 14th January 2021 11:47 AM

Those Thorn EMI covers are the best!

Both these shops delved into the tape rental market with the 'VIDEO AT HOME' moniker.
Anyone remember the cool free vhs catalogues which slapped a big XX on certain titles?

I remember all of these Thorn EMI covers like it was yesterday!

I used to spend hours and hours looking through those free catalogues from Radio Rentals you mention. Can't find mentiion of anybody still having one of these?

Totally agree that the Halloween lll cover is one of the best ever.

A bit late to the party and no idea how to post propely on a forum but thanks for the memories!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th January 2021 01:05 PM

Yeah,the VIDEO AT HOME catalogue was cool.
I’ve raked the internet,but to no avail.......

Remember the star pricing?

Red star was £2 per night
Green star was £1.50 per night
Blue star was £1.00 per night.