Like Tree97Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th June 2020, 04:09 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23.jpg (57.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 22.jpg (50.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 21.jpg (54.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20.jpg (47.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 19.jpg (64.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 18.jpg (53.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 17.jpg (61.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 16.jpg (53.9 KB, 5 views)

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 16th June 2020, 04:11 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15.jpg (60.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 14.jpg (62.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 13.jpg (60.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (52.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (73.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (48.6 KB, 5 views)

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 16th June 2020, 04:12 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (60.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (50.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (48.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (62.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (63.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (54.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (56.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (68.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (68.8 KB, 5 views)

Old 16th June 2020, 04:13 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Okay lets get talking VHS!
Demoncrat likes this.

Old 16th June 2020, 05:27 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

A lot of memories came flooding back from viewing those covers.

Nice work, sir.

The one that still nags whenever i see that Guild cover is And Now the Screaming Starts.

It's the only vhs i had which developed tape mold.
Old 16th June 2020, 05:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Some we had in our collection.

images (1).jpg images.jpg

terminator2ghvvhs__62683.1581418026.jpg thedoorsghvvhs__39511.1586903643.jpg unnamed.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l300.jpg (24.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 16th June 2020, 08:43 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

GUILD must've been one of the biggest companies back in the day.Their tapes were everywhere from independent video rental stores,to corner shops,from newsagents to the big name high street hardware renters such as Granada,D E R and Radio Rentals.
There wasn't a shop that rented tapes that a big box Guild cover didn't leap out at you.
Memorable covers included EXTERMINATOR 2,REVENGE OF THE NINJA,SHOCKWAVES,SCANNERS,DRESSED TO KILL,TURKEY SHOOT,DEATH WISH 3,RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD PART 2 and of course YOUNG WARRIORS.

Some of their artwork in the early days left a lot to be desired as you can see from their older covers.

REVENGE OF THE NINJA was one of their first if I remember correctly,to do away with the old 'padded style' case and adopt the more rigid 'straighter edge' big box.

Their STRAW DOGS tape used to sell for fortunes to VHS collectors as it was unavailable for our sensitive eyes in the UK for years,after,can you believe it being readily available on the shelves of Woolworths!

Their output continued into the sellthru market as well,and I had many smallbox tapes of theirs such as the MISSING IN ACTION 1&2 and the RAMBO films.

Yep,they were a label to be reckoned with!

Guild Home Video (GHV) or Guild Film Distribution was one of the very first video distribution companies to start operating in the UK. Unlike other independent labels such as Intervision or Videoform, GHV not only survived for a very long time, but continued to grow, eventually becoming a video distributor for independent studios such as Carolco, New Line Cinema, Cannon, and Lorimar. The videos were released by Video Collection International and PolyGram Video.

Originally based in Oundle Road, Peterborough before moving to Church Street, Walton-on-Thames, Guild Home Video were one of the biggest of the early video companies, and responsible for distributing a large and varied catalogue of movies. The initial batch of releases came out in mid-1980 and were easily recognisable by the sky blue, stylised 'G' symbol that the company retained throughout its life (with only a colour change to gold in 1987) and the logo was redrawn for an updated, cleaner look in 1984. The original Guild catalogue included a large array of features ranging from creaky and dated British science-fiction/horror fare such as The Beast in the Cellar, The Body Stealers and Doomwatch, to documentary/non-fiction titles such as The Entertaining Electron and Reardon on Snooker as well as recent box office hits such as David Cronenberg's Scanners and Jack Nicholson's remake of The Postman Always Rings Twice. Many classic Australian movies such as My Brilliant Career, Breaker Morant and Money Movers were also released at that time too.

The original catalogue was uncommonly large by the standards of most labels at that time, with well over 100 titles released within the first two years of trading alone, and Guild became well known for the professionalism of its product. At a time when many of the independent labels were resorting to tacky and often distastefully lurid cover designs to get its products noticed (Go Video's Cannibal Holocaust/SS Experiment Camp and Vipco's The Driller Killer being prime examples), GHV adopted a much more subtle approach. Early Guild covers were colour-coded. Cassettes for "hire only" carried a Pink band round the base of the sleeve, while later Hire/Sale cassettes carried a sky blue band round the top. There were also a number of tapes with a yellow band as well, but these are all but extinct now and desirable when found.

Guild Home Video continued to grow steadily throughout the 1980s, notable especially as one of the very few independent labels to survive the 1984 Video Recordings Act . This ruinous and reactionary response to the "Video Nasties" crisis meant that any movie available on video had to carry a BBFC video certificate. As each film would cost hundreds of pounds to classify if re-submitted, many independent labels found it uneconomic to submit their entire back catalogues and several simply went out of business. GHV, by now exclusive distributors to the likes of Cannon, The Samuel Goldwyn Company and Lorimar were able to continue on the strength on their newer titles and the older back catalogue generally disappeared from view. More successful titles such as Straw Dogs and Suppose They Gave a War and Nobody Came were among the first budget "sell through" titles to appear when Video Collection began retailing cut-price movies in 1986. 1986 also saw the launch of Guild's short-lived Frontier brand. It apparently released just seven titles. Between 1991 and 1992, Guild revived a brand but under the name Capital Home Video, which only released indie titles and a few known titles such as Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers.

By the early 1990s the home video industry was changing drastically as the video trade was being dominated more and more by the big studios. It was in this climate that GHV had its climax in major success. In 1988 they secured a distribution deal with Hollywood mini-major Carolco Pictures, which resulted in them gaining exclusive UK video rights for big budget blockbuster movies such as Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Total Recall, Cliffhanger, and Rambo III. GHV merged with Pathé in 1996, forming Guild Pathé Cinema Limited.

Guild Home Video shut down all UK operations in 1998, when Guild Pathé Cinema, became Pathé Distribution. Guild also had rental distribution rights with 20th Century Fox, operating as Fox Guild Home Entertainment and after the Pathé merger, Fox Pathé Home Entertainment. The company itself remained as an in-name only dormant business of Pathé until folding in 2019
nosferatu42 likes this.

Last edited by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs; 16th June 2020 at 09:03 PM.
Old 16th June 2020, 08:45 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Spinetingling.....

ramses likes this.

Old 16th June 2020, 08:48 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The later intros were not a patch on the one above!
MrBarlow likes this.

Old 16th June 2020, 08:53 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!