Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > The VHS Vaults
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree259Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th August 2010, 02:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

ive still got all my videos , there stashed in my mothers attic. i cant remember what i got cos i dont live near my mum i moved out off town 2yrs ago
Old 7th August 2010, 02:14 PM
Ex-member
Good Trader

I still have quite a few vhs, still buy them too.

Here are my latest ones.

beautiful generic cartons from Thailand of 3 of the 4 Shaw brothers Monkey films.

Old 7th August 2010, 06:32 PM
Cultist
Good Trader

nicetapes there mate, i love my vhs too. somtimes its the only way to get the rare asian films i desire!!! love my japanese pre records too!
Old 8th August 2010, 10:33 PM
Active Cultist

Still have thousands of the bloody things here!
Old 9th August 2010, 01:56 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Being nostalgic for VHS is like being nostalgic for Thatcherism, electricty cuts or Stock, Aitken and Waterman in my opinion

They were bloody horrible things that took up too much room, looked like crap when you played them and, being a horror buff as a kid, usually meant heavy BBFC cuts (who can forget these chopped to shreds versions of Dawn of the Dead, Re-Animator and House by the Cemetery?)

I was a child of the video boom so I guess it was great at the time but if you grew up with DVD you have no idea how good you have it!!

I got rid of a VHS player ages ago and almost all of my tapes with them (mainly to charity and people who I knew would enjoy them). I made a fair bit from eBay selling Aussie big boxes of The Witch Who Came from the Sea, Splatter University, Body Count and some other old horrors. I kinda regret flogging the old UK big boxes of City of the Living Dead and Midnight and the sole ones I have left are the Aussie editions of the first three Silent Night, Deadly Night films, Song of the South, a few old Redemption ones, Cellar Dwellar, Ms. 45 and an uncut Elm Street 5. They're currently obtaining water damage in my mum's garage though!

DVD was something I embraced quickly and early and I can't say I feel any sadness that VHS is dead and buried. Goodbye and good riddance . Now I can get the films I want on Blu - it just gets better!
ste11 likes this.
Old 9th August 2010, 05:54 AM
Cultist
Good Trader

each to there own i suppose! as a collector of very rare movies, vhs will always be a format i embrace, as is laserdisc because some of the stuff i have will never be released on dvd, let alone BLU RAY!!
Old 9th August 2010, 09:48 AM
Active Cultist

Calum, why do you think there are so many collectors who are still to this day seeking out and paying often huge sums for old tapes (both VHS and Betamax)?

Just pay a visit to the pre-cert forums and you will see that those old formats are still very popular amongst collectors for mainly reasons of nostalgia and history. As unuuk says, many of the films released on these formats still have not made their way to DVD let alone Blu-ray.
Old 9th August 2010, 09:59 AM
Ex-member
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Morris View Post
Just pay a visit to the pre-cert forums and you will see that those old formats are still very popular amongst collectors for mainly reasons of nostalgia and history. As unuuk says, many of the films released on these formats still have not made their way to DVD let alone Blu-ray.
Indeed, personally I embrace vhs, dvd and blu-ray (I would also still collect laserdiscs if I didn't have three players die on me in quick succesion).

First and foremost I'm a film fan and like to get the best possible version of a film I can get my hands on whatever format it may be on.
Old 9th August 2010, 11:24 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Morris View Post
Calum, why do you think there are so many collectors who are still to this day seeking out and paying often huge sums for old tapes (both VHS and Betamax)?

It's definitely nostalgia for some people: some folks collect things from the past and VHS is obviously one of them.

I agree with you - holding onto tapes if the film has not made it to DVD/ Blu is essential (Song of the South being a good example) but (and I'm simply talking for myself) I can't feel nostalgic for VHS because they used to take up so much room and the quality was always lacking (I recall when I first saw laserdisc and wished I could afford it - VHS was never the same after that).

Again, though, this is just my opinion and I feel a bit like a party pooper now. I can feel nostalgic for video shops, ironically enough, but not just for the actual videos....

I wonder if in 20 years time we will feel nostalgic for DVD?

Last edited by Calum; 9th August 2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 9th August 2010, 02:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I love VHS tapes but damn they take up way to much space.I pretty much had to pull most of mine off the shelves and put them in boxes.

Like this? Share it using the links below!