Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > The VHS Vaults

Like Tree290Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th April 2011, 06:13 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Default Kyle's VHS hunt diary

well since i decided a few days ago that i will now start to collect VHS! i thought it might be a good idea to keep a diary of films i get hold of and post pics and maybe stories of how or where i got them from.

yesterday the only VHS i owned were zombie child and hard boiled 2, i used to have hundreds but over the years have given them away to charity shops to make space for dvd's.

i woke up this morning quite excited, i had decided to get up town early and search some charity shops for tapes, the first place i was going to try was the place i had given most of my old tapes to over the years.

when i walked through the door i instantly noticed that the vhs section had been replaced with some shitty kids toy , i asked the guy where they had gone and he said that nobody buys vhs anymore so they have thrown all of the tapes away at the tip and it seems that this has happend at a few other charity shops also.

most of the shops that did have any only seemed to have work out videos or children's films but i did find these at one of them.

i have seen repossessed quite a few times but don't own it on DVD and it was 25p, i have never even heard of electra glide in blue but after reading the back it sounds quite interesting and this was 50p.

when i got back home my little lad was waiting for me with a small vhs shaped package in his chubby little hands for me inside was Amityville 3 that i had won on ebay on Monday for £1, not sure if i had seen this before or not but will watch tonight hopefully.

Last edited by Stefan@Cult Labs; 5th May 2011 at 04:05 AM.
Old 27th April 2011, 06:15 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

nice pics
Old 27th April 2011, 06:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I have that HARD BOILED 2 tape. Not watched it though.
Old 27th April 2011, 06:20 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

i haven't yet either and i have had it for years :P
Old 27th April 2011, 06:44 PM
Active Cultist

Looks fun! Keep us posted!
Old 27th April 2011, 06:47 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Excellent stuff - I look forward to seeing what you find!

I too regret getting rid of all my VHS's a few years back to make way for dvd. I think the only ones I have left are Lost Highway, Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me, The Seventh Seal, Repulsion, Walkabout, Monkey Shines and the Children of the Corn Trilogy. We have a vhs/dvd combo player too so I can always watch them if I want.
Kyle likes this.
Old 27th April 2011, 07:15 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

I luv this thread! Fantastic idea, Slicer - good luck with your new VHS collecting obsession! Is that Amityville 3 VHS a Big Box or just a normal one? Repossessed looks great fun!

That's the trouble with finding VHS now - some charity shops dont have any and they're often filled with crap kiddy films or films about fishing ¬__¬ so when you do find something it's even more rewarding. Luckily there's the internet - though that kinda takes away the whole hunting idea.

Keep us posted buddy!
Old 27th April 2011, 08:15 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

yeah it does but it seems apart from going town to town hunting charity shops or carboots (im going to go one this sunday) its the only way, shame about postage prices £2.50 a tape

amityville 3 is just a small box
Old 27th April 2011, 08:27 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Sometimes you end up paying more for postage than the actual video - ah well.
Old 28th April 2011, 05:14 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Somewhere no one has ever heard off. Lucky beggars.

Funnily enough I've just begun collecting VHS again myself - I sold a ton of them to Smack Convertors a few years ago back when you could still get 50p each for them. Made a tidy sum actually. I only kept a hold of a handful that had not yet been issued on DVD at the time or if they had were OOP and hard to get - Naked, The Keep, etc.

So far I have picked up the big box versions of The Geek and Trick Or Treat, and a pre-cert copy of House Of Whipchord. I'm focusing mainly on the big box versions as I love the fact that each company at the time seemed to put a lot of thought into there own packaging, with brightly coloured cases and embossed logos etc. rather than just all using the same generic cases. That and the amazing artwork is what makes collecting VHS so appealing to me.

Hmmm, maybe I should start my own thread .

By the way, Electraglide In Blue is an amazing film - one of my favourites; it was unavailable for a long time on DVD (at least in the UK, as far as I know) but has since been issued by Optimum. They showed it on BBC's Moviedrome many years ago and I had been hunting for it ever since . I picked up the soundtrack on LP when it was reissued by Simply Vinyl a few years ago. It is generally regarded as one of the all time great soundtracks, along with Bullet et al.
Kyle likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!