Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > The VHS Vaults

Like Tree128Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th May 2011, 09:09 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Somewhere no one has ever heard off. Lucky beggars.

Were the Hammer Classics the ones with the all red covers with the little square picture on the front, or was this a different/earlier series?
Old 24th May 2011, 09:11 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

No,that was the later Horror Classics label.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 24th May 2011, 09:13 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream demon View Post
Were the Hammer Classics the ones with the all red covers with the little square picture on the front, or was this a different/earlier series?
Sorry my fault DD.

The Hammer titles were 'HAMMER ORIGINALS' and not 'CLASSICS' as I stated earlier!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 4th September 2011, 07:20 PM
Cult Rookie

Hooray! These were absolutely ace, and one of the key things that turned me into a film addict (age 10!).

First ones I got were POLTERGEIST (widescreen, plus collectors pack, with featurette and trailer) and Stephen King's IT (nothing, but the film itself was highly regarded among youngsters at that time).

Seemed there were three tiers: HORROR CLASSICS (all of which had 3-card collectors packs, often with widescreen transfers and trailers), HAMMER ORIGINALS (also with collector's packs) and THE CRYPT COLLECTION which seemed to be a way to repackage almost everything Warner/MGM had on the shelf without doing anything new. The curatorship was a bit odd: CARRIE and FRIDAY THE 13TH were thrown into the CRYPT COLLECTION, while POLTERGEIST II: THE OTHER SIDE was afforded the widescreen deluxe treatment.

A couple of them were reissued later as remastered widescreen versions - THE HITCHER and CARRIE both got rereleased with new transfers and added trailers.

I've got an initial foldout catalogue that was included in the early tapes somewhere, if people want to see it?
Old 5th September 2011, 06:53 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Somewhere no one has ever heard off. Lucky beggars.

That would be really cool if you could post a scan of the catalogue.

Now that I know that the Hammer Originals also had collector packs, I'm very tempted to start collecting them as well. Hell, I'm already double- and triple-dipping on the DVD releases so may as well get the VHS as well.
Old 5th September 2011, 10:44 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

01:40

Old 5th September 2011, 12:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The superb Wolfen!
Old 5th September 2011, 05:24 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
01:40

If I had a quid for evry time I wathced those intros!

Old 1st January 2012, 09:28 PM
Cult Rookie

Send a message via Skype™ to Lou Longshanks

Man, the nostalgia.

I had a few Terror Vision tapes. I remember having IT, The Wicker Man, The Hitcher, The Haunting and I believe Poltergeist II. Sadly, since I was alot younger and practically had no respect for any kind of videos or games that I owned, I either lost them or sold them on as the DVD ushered in at full momentum.

I regret doing that quite a bit with IT especially because my DVD copy of that was a double sided disc. You had to flip it, like a laser disc, to play the second half of the story. The quality was obviously better but I liked the bumpers and seamless quality to the original VHS tape of which I owned.
Old 3rd February 2012, 07:38 PM
Cultist in Training

Wow, Terror Vision and Beyond Vision - these were so cool, the first one I got was The Lost Boys, which is officially the film I've seen the most, ever. I'm surprised I didn't wear that tape out back in the mid-nineties!

I remember getting Blade Runner, The Hunger, The Hitcher (re-released widescreen version) and thanks to charity shops I got The Omega Man, Logan's Run and more I can't remember.

Back then, the idea of trailers and photo/info cards was quite the novelty (excepting huge box sets like the Alien facehugger set and such), pointed the way towards DVDs, I suppose. Oh wait, Laserdisc was already doing it, but I never knew anyone who had those!

Like this? Share it using the links below!