Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Welcome to The Fifth Dimension (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Come Introduce Yourself - In The Fifth Dimension! (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/welcome-fifth-dimension/4758-come-introduce-yourself-fifth-dimension.html)

Almar@Cult Labs 23rd February 2011 01:25 PM

Come Introduce Yourself - In The Fifth Dimension!

Are you a fan of The Twilight Zone - either the 60s series, the 80s, the movie or the last incarnation this century?

If so introduce yourself here and give us a flavour of what you'll be discussing on this official forum for the UK DVD and Blu-ray release.

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 23rd February 2011 01:47 PM

How cool that this is happening here in the UK and Cult Labs is the place to talk about it. I adore The Twilight Zone. I think for a fifty year old television show it's as popular today as ever.

In fact, in Novemeber of last year I started a podcast dedicated to The Twilight Zone:

The Twilight Zone Podcast

And the numbers instantly went through the roof; there's still a big desire out there for this show.

So shameless plug aside, I'm Tom, the host of The Twilight Zone Podcast and right now I'm as happy as anything!

Almar@Cult Labs 23rd February 2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TGGPodcast (Post 130555)
How cool that this is happening here in the UK and Cult Labs is the place to talk about it. I adore The Twilight Zone. I think for a fifty year old television show it's as popular today as ever.

In fact, in Novemeber of last year I started a podcast dedicated to The Twilight Zone:

The Twilight Zone Podcast

And the numbers instantly went through the roof; there's still a big desire out there for this show.

So shameless plug aside, I'm Tom, the host of The Twilight Zone Podcast and right now I'm as happy as anything!

How true! I knew there was a big fan lurking somewhere - well this is going to be one exciting year - lots of TZ and it looks incredible on Blu and actually on the new DVDs too.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd February 2011 07:28 PM

Excellent stuff!

All fans feel free to wade in with anything TZ related!

antmumford 23rd February 2011 09:06 PM

I've never seen a single episode. I don't even know what it's about to be honest which is terrible of me yet I know it's massive. I'm gonna have to trawl these threads and start falling in love aren't I? :nod:

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 23rd February 2011 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 130691)
I've never seen a single episode. I don't even know what it's about to be honest which is terrible of me yet I know it's massive. I'm gonna have to trawl these threads and start falling in love aren't I? :nod:

Much as I love it, I envy you sir seeing it for the first time on these editions if the quality is as good as the US reviews say. :nod:

antmumford 23rd February 2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TGGPodcast (Post 130697)
Much as I love it, I envy you sir seeing it for the first time on these editions if the quality is as good as the US reviews say. :nod:

I've just watched the first 10 minutes of Nightmare at 20,000 Feet and it freaked me out. I know I'm gonna love it now. Must buy the BD's

The Collector's Room 24th February 2011 10:35 AM

Hello all!

My name is Luke and I am a Twilight Zone obsessive. My obsession started when a friend showed me the series many years ago. I've been hooked since. I've gone through the various DVD stages (the vol releases and the newest releases) and I look forward to further releases.

Thanks to the beauty of the Twilight Zone podcast, I am so glad to have discovered this place. For years I've wanted a place were I could "nerd out" with fellow Zoners.

WARNING - SHAMELESS PLUG!

A couple of years ago, some friends and I came up with an idea for a Twlight Zone-esque series which we could air online for free. Thus, The Collector's Room was born. Please visit the website (I can't post the URL due to post count, so... Google it?) - I would love to get some feedback from genuine Zone fans.

Look forward to the discussions!

Stephen@Cult Labs 24th February 2011 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs (Post 130559)
How true! I knew there was a big fan lurking somewhere - well this is going to be one exciting year - lots of TZ and it looks incredible on Blu and actually on the new DVDs too.

As I've said (and others too), judging by the image quality of the US BD's, I can't wait to see these released here in the UK. I think people are going to be blown away by how good they look. And this is from someone who has only seen screencaps of them!

Kyle 28th February 2011 09:17 PM

ive never seen any either to be honest,think i might check these out soon :)

Goldencity1984 14th April 2011 01:27 AM

Hello from Malaysia

Hello everyone...

My name is Keith Tan, from Penang, Malaysia... I have been a twilight zone fan for the past 2 years. It started when I watched an episode on the Syfi channel in the US, and it is the episode entitled "Miniature". I just loved that episode... I started to get the DVDs, and since then I have the first 2 seasons (which I watched and enjoyed).

I also watched and enjoyed the movie version of the Twilight Zone, when it was playing on the Malaysian Satellite Television (Astro)...

Looking to meeting fans of the show!

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 14th April 2011 05:00 AM

Welcome to the fifth dimension Keith!

It's good to know The Twilight Zone travels so well. Look forward to talking some TZ with you.

Goldencity1984 14th April 2011 05:39 AM

Thank you so much for the welcome, Tom... Also looking forward to talking more about the TZ and the world of the Fifth Dimension.

DarkInc1 26th April 2011 02:52 PM

Hello from DarkInc1

Hi guys!

I come here with an invite from Tom himself.

It's been a while since I've used a forum, might take me a while to get back into the swing of things again ;) lol.

I've been a long-time fan of the TZ since the late 80's, and my love for the show has never left.

Sorry Tom for taking so long to get here.... I took a wrong turning in the Twilight Zone (but that's a different story)

I hope to post here from time to time, when maybe I can add a few things here and there when ever I have the time or inclination.

I look forward to making a few friends...

- Long live the TwilightZone Podcast -

Dakinc1 :)

Almar@Cult Labs 26th April 2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkInc1 (Post 146110)
Hi guys!

I come here with an invite from Tom himself.

It's been a while since I've used a forum, might take me a while to get back into the swing of things again ;) lol.

I've been a long-time fan of the TZ since the late 80's, and my love for the show has never left.

Sorry Tom for taking so long to get here.... I took a wrong turning in the Twilight Zone (but that's a different story)

I hope to post here from time to time, when maybe I can add a few things here and there when ever I have the time or inclination.

I look forward to making a few friends...

Dakinc1 :)

Welcome Darkinc!

The idea is to keep it nice and easy here and provide a hub for people to either share their new-found or re-acquainted love of one of the greatest TV shows ever made so do please share your thoughts - all most welcome.

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 26th April 2011 02:59 PM

Hello mate!

Glad you made it :)

I'm going to make a shameless plug on your behalf, everyone should check out mr DarkInc1's work at DarkInc1 - Art Prints great stuff, especially for horror fans!

Almar@Cult Labs 26th April 2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs (Post 146115)
Hello mate!

Glad you made it :)

I'm going to make a shameless plug on your behalf, everyone should check out mr DarkInc1's work at DarkInc1 - Art Prints great stuff, especially for horror fans!

Cool - artists very welcome on here - any chance of a TZ sketch sometime I wonder? :eyebrows:

DarkInc1 26th April 2011 03:55 PM

Thx for the Plug Tom, you didn't have to do that ;)

And yes I do have a Rod Serling in the works... watch this space!

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 2nd May 2011 09:02 AM

Happy Twilight Zone day everyone! It's a shame that the postie won't be delivering today, but here's hoping they're on the shelves in HMV etc.

spaceman 10th May 2011 07:50 PM

Hi
the name is Tristan and I live in Northamptonshire.
I heard about the forums via The Twilight Zone podcast (I think:))
Absolutely love The Twilight Zone and have done since I bought one of those VHS compilations back in the early 1990's-it had Five Characters in Search of an Exit, People Are Alike All Over and some others.
I just bought the Blu-ray of Season 1 and am in heaven

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 10th May 2011 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceman (Post 149595)
Hi
the name is Tristan and I live in Northamptonshire.
I heard about the forums via The Twilight Zone podcast (I think:))
Absolutely love The Twilight Zone and have done since I bought one of those VHS compilations back in the early 1990's-it had Five Characters in Search of an Exit, People Are Alike All Over and some others.
I just bought the Blu-ray of Season 1 and am in heaven

Hi Tristan. Welcome to the forums. It's always good to make a listeners acquaintance! Look forward to talking some Twilight Zone with you :)

And I know what you mean about the blu.

the human man 11th May 2011 08:12 PM

Hello everybody, especially Tom. Being a long time fan of TZ since I first watched in the 70's as a kid. I was downloading the latest Kermode podcast on itunes and typed in 'Twilight Zone' into the search tab. I was delighted to see the TZ podcast come up and downloaded the lot. When I first put it on I was expecting to hear an American waxing lyrical about the show, imagine my surprise to hear a fellow Liverpudlian telling me all I need to know! Keep up the good work Tom.

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 11th May 2011 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the human man (Post 149888)
Hello everybody, especially Tom. Being a long time fan of TZ since I first watched in the 70's as a kid. I was downloading the latest Kermode podcast on itunes and typed in 'Twilight Zone' into the search tab. I was delighted to see the TZ podcast come up and downloaded the lot. When I first put it on I was expecting to hear an American waxing lyrical about the show, imagine my surprise to hear a fellow Liverpudlian telling me all I need to know! Keep up the good work Tom.

Ha! Brilliant :)

It's good to see you here! Thanks for listening and visiting the forum. You wouldn't be the same Liverpudlian who left the review on iTunes a few weeks back would you?

- Just as a side note to all new members, to be in with a chance to win an original pen and ink drawing of Rod Serling, just participate in heat 1 of The Ultimate Cult Labs Twilight Zone episode for any threads you like and you're in the draw.

the human man 12th May 2011 05:39 PM

Not me Tom but I've left a review today. I've just ordered the new bluray of series 1, how does it measure up on this format? I'll have curtail my listening to the podcasts until I've watched my discs as I either haven't seen, or can't remember a lot of the episodes and your podcasts are ruining them:happy:
I first remember watching TZ with my dad when I was a kid along with The Outer Limits and then the late 80's late night showings after staggering in from a club in my late teens and just loving it. Me and my mates used to sit in the pub discussing the episodes we'd watched, one lad who couldn't keep away from fruit machines was taunted with 'Fraaankliin.' Sad I know.
Two that stick in my mind are 'Willoughby' and a time travel one with Dana Andrews in it, I look forward to your comments on these. Keep up the good work mate.

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 12th May 2011 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the human man (Post 150085)
Not me Tom but I've left a review today. I've just ordered the new bluray of series 1, how does it measure up on this format? I'll have curtail my listening to the podcasts until I've watched my discs as I either haven't seen, or can't remember a lot of the episodes and your podcasts are ruining them:happy:
I first remember watching TZ with my dad when I was a kid along with The Outer Limits and then the late 80's late night showings after staggering in from a club in my late teens and just loving it. Me and my mates used to sit in the pub discussing the episodes we'd watched, one lad who couldn't keep away from fruit machines was taunted with 'Fraaankliin.' Sad I know.
Two that stick in my mind are 'Willoughby' and a time travel one with Dana Andrews in it, I look forward to your comments on these. Keep up the good work mate.

Ah then I have two listeners close to home! Cheers for the review, always appreciated :)

I hope I haven't ruined too many episodes for you ;) My plan is to do every ep on one podcast each so people can pick and choose which ones to listen to depending on what they've seen.

They hold up brilliantly on the blu format, I have all the old DVD box sets and was planning on keeping them because they're nice boxes, but I might just eBay them to be honest. I don't think there's any going back after blu!

Enjoy the blus sir, let us know what you think.

Stephen@Cult Labs 12th May 2011 07:43 PM

Welcome Tristan and the human man.:welcome: :welcome:

the human man 17th May 2011 09:09 AM

Got the Blurays yesterday and I'm 2 episodes in already. My only disappointment is the screen appears in a box format. Is it 4:3?? I've tried to alter it to widescreen to no avail. I'm loving it so far though. Just one little observation from Episode 1, is that the same backlot used on Back To The Future and Forest Gump? I visited it on a trip to Universal Studios in California a few years back before it was destroyed by a fire.

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 17th May 2011 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the human man (Post 151381)
Got the Blurays yesterday and I'm 2 episodes in already. My only disappointment is the screen appears in a box format. Is it 4:3?? I've tried to alter it to widescreen to no avail. I'm loving it so far though.

Are you watching on a PS3? I seem to find that TV shows that are 4:3 always show up as 4:3 on my PS3, but my other player will stretch them to fit the widescreen TV. I'm kind of used to it now though, so I tend to use the PS3.

the human man 17th May 2011 08:00 PM

I'm watching on a Blu ray player Tom. Never mind I can live with it!

it'smebilly 17th May 2011 09:49 PM

I don't mind the 4:3 ratio to the TZ. I'm watching the blu rays on a panasonic player and at least the bars at the side are black, normally they're bright gray on most of my other full screen tv sets.

Stephen@Cult Labs 17th May 2011 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by it'smebilly (Post 151575)
I don't mind the 4:3 ratio to the TZ. I'm watching the blu rays on a panasonic player and at least the bars at the side are black, normally they're bright gray on most of my other full screen tv sets.

Do you mean on a Panasonic tv, bars at the side when watching 4:3 programs etc, are gray? If so, you can change them to black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it'smebilly 17th May 2011 10:55 PM

Yes I meant to say tv but both are panasonic. I thought it might have been just dvd's that played with the gray bars for some reason. Odd that TZ on blu ray has the black bars though. Do you know how to change it?

the human man 18th May 2011 08:00 AM

Same here mate, Panasonic tv and Bluray. I've tried every setting on the tv and player. I'm used to it now.

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 27th May 2011 08:43 PM

Hi all. Been away for a week, a little break from the 5th Dimension. Lots to post this week! Starting with a new blog entry and some great review links over the weekend. Look forward to catching up with everyone again.

kevin 8th June 2011 12:50 PM

Twilight Zone memories and new a experience of the Twilight Zone

Hi, I'm Kevin. I'm 33 and I first watched the Twilight Zone with my Dad when I was in my early teens. I only ever watched re-runs of course and it was only occassionally on TV, so with the new Blu-ray boxsets coming out now I'm really excited to watch them all back-to-back... well not litterally back-to-back but almost! I'm hooked. The 36 episodes on the first season boxset seem to represent excellent value for money. I can hardly wait for season two! :dance:

kevin 8th June 2011 12:55 PM

black bars on tv

it's just the format that it was shot in originally, they didn't have widescreen back in the 50s and 60s! I'm 99.9% certain that you are not going to be able to change the ratio on your tv to view it any other way. but hey just get wathcing the show and soon you'll be so immersed in the show that I'm sure you'll hardly notice. plus if you were able to tweak it to get it in 9:16 instead of 4:3 or (whatever it is!) it'd no doubt look stretched and awful. just try to enjoy the show and enjoy the beautiful HD quality image as it was intended!! :woot:

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 8th June 2011 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin (Post 156547)
Hi, I'm Kevin. I'm 33 and I first watched the Twilight Zone with my Dad when I was in my early teens. I only ever watched re-runs of course and it was only occassionally on TV, so with the new Blu-ray boxsets coming out now I'm really excited to watch them all back-to-back... well not litterally back-to-back but almost! I'm hooked. The 36 episodes on the first season boxset seem to represent excellent value for money. I can hardly wait for season two! :dance:

Hey Kevin! Good to have you here Sir! Look forward to talking some Twilight Zone with you :welcome:

the human man 8th June 2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin (Post 156549)
it's just the format that it was shot in originally, they didn't have widescreen back in the 50s and 60s! I'm 99.9% certain that you are not going to be able to change the ratio on your tv to view it any other way. but hey just get wathcing the show and soon you'll be so immersed in the show that I'm sure you'll hardly notice. plus if you were able to tweak it to get it in 9:16 instead of 4:3 or (whatever it is!) it'd no doubt look stretched and awful. just try to enjoy the show and enjoy the beautiful HD quality image as it was intended!! :woot:

Yes i'm used to it now Kev. I've watched all but 5 episodes in just over a week and I'll deffo be watching them again. It's amazing how well it holds up, give or take the odd episode. Welcome to the forum btw:happy:

Gojirosan 8th June 2011 08:30 PM

I'm a huge fan, have been since I was a kid. It was the Channel 4 run of the original series in the 1980s that really got me hooked. I still haven't seen all the original series! Hopefully I will be able to afford to watch them on Blu-Ray!

Along with The Prisoner and Twin Peaks, the original The Twilight Zone is probably my favourite TV show of all time.

Loved the 80s revival too, but have not, yet, seen anything of the latest series.

the human man 8th June 2011 08:49 PM

Don't know if you're old enough mate or Tom might remember, there was a nightclub in Liverpool, at the bottom of Duke street called The Twilight Zone.
Even the lettering above the door was the same.